[COMPLETE] Manners and Rules of Good Society - Or, Solecisms to be Avoided - by a Member of the Aristocracy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

schrm wrote: October 24th, 2019, 8:46 am @MaryAnn: Please grant KevinS access to the MW - he will be the DPL! Thank you!
Kevin and Jane both given permission to edit the MW.

MaryAnn
schrm

Post by schrm »

Thank you!
:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

heyho,

i add to the mw:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_00_anon_128kb.mp3
Track Length
5:47.06 (m:ss.ss)

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: October 28th, 2019, 10:02 am heyho,

i add to the mw:

Track Length
5:47.06 (m:ss.ss)

cheers,
Very good! PL OK!
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

schrm wrote: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Dwarika wrote: October 24th, 2019, 7:08 am Hi!!

I have uploaded the recording of Chapter 2 - of 30.12 sec duration for pl.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_02_anon_128kb.mp3
hi dwarika,

you asked for cc - so, here are my pl notes standard and cc:

pl standard:
the silence periods at the beginning and the end of the file are too long. at the beginning 1 second at the most (a mc was writing "in a heartbeat"), at the end 5 seconds - yours are two seconds (which could be a long heartbeat) and ~7 seconds.
noise reduction you mentioned already, and it works wonders! i prooflistened to your file as is - but afterwards i did the nr and thought, i will have to listen to your file again :-)
there is a short repetition of two words, which i think is acceptable. the volume of the file is too low, also. but better you read more and like it to read, than to frustrate you with the first recording!
--> well, that was all - and summarized, the pl ok is the result :-D
a wonderful contribution for a beginner!

cc:
i have to say it again: a rather long recording for a beginner, and your reading style is nice to listen to!
i even "felt" an elegant lady speaking... and your pl is ok, for standard and as a new reader!
and all in all: it is your own decision to look through the list below..

- please take care of the silence periods!
- the outro: should be: "end of chapter two", you were looking for and reading the title.
so there is one second pause before the tite in the outro, which you can cut. there is a tic/plop, and you did more work as needed :-D i recommend reading it anew and copypasting it - that is the easiest way at the end of the file!
- please, do noise reduction before uploading! also, to reduce echoes and corridor-/hall like sound, try to record in a room with curtains, a carpet and even try to place a blanket on the desk. it is quite a common recommendation, eg, to record in front of an open wardrobe or closet. the shelves full of clothing absorb many of the room-noises and echoes.
- did you record in a room with a clock? or are these tics of the microphone?

here is the list of my notes (every cut in the beginning of the recording changes the position of following tics - so better, to amplify them down to -50).
i wrote the second following the tic, so please look at the 0,5-1 seconds before in most cases:
- 0,5-1 seconds beginning silence (you have two seconds): first tic
- 2:27 tic
- 2:56 fade in?/amplify the background noise(?)
- 4:04-4:05 cut the stutter
- 7:28 tic
- 8:40 tic
- 11:41 1 second pause in the middle of the sentence - maybe shorten that pause?
- 14:21 tic
- 16:32-16:34 background noise?
- there is a pause between two sentences "not existant" maybe you cut too much. nothing to do there, but maybe you can leave a little pause next time.
- 19:28 tic
- 21:24 sh added at the end of "ladies" (can be cut/amplified/faded out for sure)
- 22:35-22:36 tic
- 22:23 tic
- 24:4-24:5 the girls and the girls - repetition "and girls generally shake hands with each other"
- 25:40 tic
- 25:42 tic
- 26:35 a very short pause in the middle of the sentence, which could be cut
- 29:05 tic
- 30:01 loud plop

the more you edit the mistakes, the more perfect and nice to listen to it will get, i thnk.
on the other hand: i did the pl without the noise reduction..

and now i have a bad feeling because of being a hypocrite :mrgreen:

greetings from tyrol and cheers,

schrm
Hi!!
Thanks a lot for your efforts to make my work sound perfect. I certainly will look into this- how did i miss the first pause!! :roll:
I guess that tic sound could be of my laptop scrolling.. :(

I will try to check each point you mentioned and reupload it and if I find difficulty i will once again 'Ask for help'
:help:
With these feedbacks at least I will start dreaming being Pro from armature! :D

I will soon send you the edited one..
Thanks!
Dwarka.
schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you kevin!
i will try the disadvantageously again, though, in case you don't mind..

dwarika, you are welcome!
i'm sure, the result will be very well done :-)
it was very well read, to be honest.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: October 28th, 2019, 10:37 pm thank you kevin!
i will try the disadvantageously again, though, in case you don't mind..
Of course. It is not a word very often heard. One sees it written, but it's not a word that is used to discuss beer or futbol.
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

Hi!!

I have uploaded the edited recording as suggested. hope this meets the standrds. it was good learning and experiene. :)

the track length is 27m.34ss.

Thanks!
Dwarika
schrm

Post by schrm »

heyho,

added:
Track Length
5:45.99 (m:ss.ss)

i edited: 2:58-3:16

(but cut too much and copypasted and..
but i think, that is it..)

i'm sorry for being a bad example myself :-/

thank you for pling!
cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

Dwarika wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:52 am Hi!!

I have uploaded the edited recording as suggested. hope this meets the standrds. it was good learning and experiene. :)

Thanks!
Dwarika
hi Dwarika,

you are superfast!
thank you very much for your fast contribution-style, it makes things much more easy!

it's a pity, but i won't have time to pl it today... anyways, i assure you: i will try to pl your recording as soon as possible!
and: i entered the data in the mw, already!

thank you again :)

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thanks!
Dwarika
Thank you, Dwarika. Before I have a listen, would you please increase the volume of your recording by 4 decibels. If you need help with this, I will be most happy to explain how this can be easily done.

Looking forward to hearing your work!
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Hi! I would like to volunteer for chapters 30 and 31; my manners in good society can use a bit of a brush-up! :lol:

Anita
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

KevinS wrote: October 29th, 2019, 10:20 am

Thanks!
Dwarika
Thank you, Dwarika. Before I have a listen, would you please increase the volume of your recording by 4 decibels. If you need help with this, I will be most happy to explain how this can be easily done.

Looking forward to hearing your work!
Sure..please guide me so that I can apply it in all recordings.
Thanks a lot!

Dwarika
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Dwarika wrote: October 29th, 2019, 6:44 pm
Sure..please guide me so that I can apply it in all recordings.
Thanks a lot!

Dwarika
Okay. We can begin now and I will follow up with you as soon as I can and see that you have responded.

In Audacity, if you select your entire recording and then use the Amplify effect, you can increase your volume by 4db with little concern for any difficulties in the sound of your work. (Increasing volume by a lot, can cause problems, but 4dbs is really not a great deal.)

The amplify effect has a sliding tool that allows you to both increase and decrease volumes. You would move the tool to +4db.

It's as easy as that. You can then save the file, export it, and upload the modified recording onto LibriVox.

In my next post to you, I will provide you with the link to what we call the Checker. It will help you analyze your recordings and will tell you if your volume is too low, too loud, or just right.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here is the link for the Checker program: https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

It was especially designed for LibriVox and I'm sure you will find it very useful. Many of those who read for LibriVox use it, but the PLs always use it to confirm that a file is acceptable. That is, has the correct specifications.

Feel free to ask questions of us. schrm, in particular, is very good. I'm really just a beginner like you.