[COMPLETE] Manners and Rules of Good Society - Or, Solecisms to be Avoided - by a Member of the Aristocracy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'd like to do sections 3 and 4, please!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
schrm

Post by schrm »

ColleenMc wrote: October 24th, 2019, 10:38 am I'd like to do sections 3 and 4, please!

Colleen
good evening colleen,

thank you for your claims!
i entered them already :-)

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

KevinS wrote: October 24th, 2019, 7:45 am
Dwarika wrote: October 24th, 2019, 7:28 am
Hi Schrm,

Thanks! and i appreciate the guidance and support.
yes i am new to this and with constuctive feedbacks from team i will be able to do my work well!
i have just uploaded chapter 2 recording and waiting for your remarks.... and yes if required i will ask for help. :)
so waiting for your remarks and feedback. :)

Thanks!
Dwarika.
Hi. And welcome!

I thought I might step in and provide you with a very useful tool called the Checker program. It can be found here: https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

This is what we use to check recordings to see if they meet the specifications for LibriVox. I use it all the time.

Your recent recording, for instance, is fine in terms of technical specs except that the volume is too low.

If you would like help in raising the volume, let me know and I will be happy to help. And schrm, of course, is very talented and will help, too. I have come to respect him a great deal.
Hi...

Thanks ! This is one of the reason I like to be associated with librivox. You guys are the best! :thumbs:

I have checked the recording in the 'checker' .. it shows passed with warnings :(
Also I have tried to reduce noise.. this is FYI..
The final pl notes will help me give perfect recording..

Warm regards,
Dwarika
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

I am also happy to help out with PL if you need any extra help?
regards
Jane Bennett
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 24th, 2019, 10:20 pm I am also happy to help out with PL if you need any extra help?
That would be wonderful for me, especially while my vision is bothering me. I plan/planned to watch the text during my listening. schrm has specified the PL needs as standard, however, so maybe I'm being too fussy.
kimjoys

Post by kimjoys »

It would be of the grandest pleasure were you to bestow upon me the privilege of recording sections 10 and 33. I await your post concerning the aforementioned request.

Your humble servant,
Kim
Cheers,
Kim
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm, Fluffbutter has passed the one-minute test.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Fluffbutter wrote: October 25th, 2019, 3:21 am It would be of the grandest pleasure were you to bestow upon me the privilege of recording sections 10 and 33. I await your post concerning the aforementioned request.

Your humble servant,
Kim
dear Kim,

i am feeling honored to be adressed by your wishes to contributing to lv.
and i am by far not able to answer in the same politeness levels as your request was uttered.
i assure you, though, that i will try to respond to your claims, as aforementioned, as soon as possible after writing these lines.
i feel really glad and even a little bit flattered to have to opportunity to serve as your humble bc,
cheers,

Jmbau13 wrote: October 24th, 2019, 10:20 pm I am also happy to help out with PL if you need any extra help?
since kevin is recovering, yet, it will be most welcomed - thank you for your help!
:-D
Dwarika wrote: October 24th, 2019, 9:47 pm Hi Schrm,

yes i am new to this and with constuctive feedbacks from team i will be able to do my work well!

I have checked the recording in the 'checker' .. it shows passed with warnings :(
hi dwarika,

1) with the first recordings, i felt the need for constructive feedback and some sort of help to rate my recordings - i absolutely know these feelings.
but, as a warning: the balance of being a perfectionist vs. we are doing amateur-hobby recordings and it should be fun to read, it should be like you reading for some children or ill neighbours or...
and that balance, too high levels and expectations of (self) criticisms,...
it can ruin more, as helping.
we have a thread here in the forums "what if i suck?".
well, everybody here is s*** according to someone else, and every single reader has fans, too.
go figure, that is no criteria, actually.
maybe more for americans or brits, because you get more feedback.
so...
you will get pl notes sometimes, every pl has his own style, every reader has his own styles..
and sometimes one likes to experiment while reading, also..
that is totally ok and normal, you know?
just as a.. well... it is a warning: please, don't ruin your hobby with expectations too high. you fullfilled the technical basics with the test, what i listened to your recording your english and reading style is wonderful, and tech equipment is like it is - it can improve by time, or not.
(this is really coming from my heart: i frustrated some readers, i fear...and i really didn't want to. when someone has a style you don't like, just choose other projects..ok?)

2) the recording requirements are: 89db
for the tests (and because reality shows, that perfect conditions are not existant) we have a range of +-3DB. your file has 84,6 db (that is a sort of average level of loudness).
that is not much out of range (-1,4db), but since we aim for 89db, the difference is 4,4 db. and that is quite a difference.
so, while we are able to be liberal, and maybe the mc can help with some filenames and so on - it is better, and easy to do, to fullfill the requirements within range. and that is why checker said it's half ok, and kevin said better to amplify it...
i beg your understanding for this, and i hope, my explanations do help (instead of confuse the more i write).
i think i will pl your recording today (hoping, that our dpls are ok with that) and will add, in case of pl notes.

@Kevin: thank you once again :mrgreen:
@MaryAnn: Please grant access to the MW for Jmbau13 as a helping second DPL

so, i hope i have everything covered :-D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

Fluffbutter wrote: October 25th, 2019, 3:21 am It would be of the grandest pleasure were you to bestow upon me the privilege of recording sections 10 and 33. I await your post concerning the aforementioned request.

Your humble servant,
Kim
uuuh i forgot:

@Fluffbutter
Kim, we have a catalogue-page for each reader. you can choose, what is is called like - it should be, what you read in your recordings, though (should you mention your name, nickname or alias/alter ego/artists name).
but we can name it like your forum name, your real name, an artists name, we can add a link to a homepage, to your blog, to a instagram-page...
please tell me, what name you would like to see (and people will find in the catalogue and on book-pages)!
and if you wish to have a link, but want to wait a little bit: the link can be updated whenever you want - just tell a mc (or post eg in "need help"). the catalogue-name is altered " not so easy" (tell a mc, and: that is void for future recordings, only!).
the catalogue page is a useful tool to see your claims, watch sections to pl (if you start to pl), and you can look for some reader pages in thee dark gray area t the top of the forum page ("search the catalogue").

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

Dwarika wrote: October 24th, 2019, 7:08 am Hi!!

I have uploaded the recording of Chapter 2 - of 30.12 sec duration for pl.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_02_anon_128kb.mp3
hi dwarika,

you asked for cc - so, here are my pl notes standard and cc:

pl standard:
the silence periods at the beginning and the end of the file are too long. at the beginning 1 second at the most (a mc was writing "in a heartbeat"), at the end 5 seconds - yours are two seconds (which could be a long heartbeat) and ~7 seconds.
noise reduction you mentioned already, and it works wonders! i prooflistened to your file as is - but afterwards i did the nr and thought, i will have to listen to your file again :-)
there is a short repetition of two words, which i think is acceptable. the volume of the file is too low, also. but better you read more and like it to read, than to frustrate you with the first recording!
--> well, that was all - and summarized, the pl ok is the result :-D
a wonderful contribution for a beginner!

cc:
i have to say it again: a rather long recording for a beginner, and your reading style is nice to listen to!
i even "felt" an elegant lady speaking... and your pl is ok, for standard and as a new reader!
and all in all: it is your own decision to look through the list below..

- please take care of the silence periods!
- the outro: should be: "end of chapter two", you were looking for and reading the title.
so there is one second pause before the tite in the outro, which you can cut. there is a tic/plop, and you did more work as needed :-D i recommend reading it anew and copypasting it - that is the easiest way at the end of the file!
- please, do noise reduction before uploading! also, to reduce echoes and corridor-/hall like sound, try to record in a room with curtains, a carpet and even try to place a blanket on the desk. it is quite a common recommendation, eg, to record in front of an open wardrobe or closet. the shelves full of clothing absorb many of the room-noises and echoes.
- did you record in a room with a clock? or are these tics of the microphone?

here is the list of my notes (every cut in the beginning of the recording changes the position of following tics - so better, to amplify them down to -50).
i wrote the second following the tic, so please look at the 0,5-1 seconds before in most cases:
- 0,5-1 seconds beginning silence (you have two seconds): first tic
- 2:27 tic
- 2:56 fade in?/amplify the background noise(?)
- 4:04-4:05 cut the stutter
- 7:28 tic
- 8:40 tic
- 11:41 1 second pause in the middle of the sentence - maybe shorten that pause?
- 14:21 tic
- 16:32-16:34 background noise?
- there is a pause between two sentences "not existant" maybe you cut too much. nothing to do there, but maybe you can leave a little pause next time.
- 19:28 tic
- 21:24 sh added at the end of "ladies" (can be cut/amplified/faded out for sure)
- 22:35-22:36 tic
- 22:23 tic
- 24:4-24:5 the girls and the girls - repetition "and girls generally shake hands with each other"
- 25:40 tic
- 25:42 tic
- 26:35 a very short pause in the middle of the sentence, which could be cut
- 29:05 tic
- 30:01 loud plop

the more you edit the mistakes, the more perfect and nice to listen to it will get, i thnk.
on the other hand: i did the pl without the noise reduction..

and now i have a bad feeling because of being a hypocrite :mrgreen:

greetings from tyrol and cheers,

schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

KevinS wrote: October 25th, 2019, 1:13 am
That would be wonderful for me, especially while my vision is bothering me. I plan/planned to watch the text during my listening. schrm has specified the PL needs as standard, however, so maybe I'm being too fussy.
Happy to help out as co-DPL or whatever. Thanks for requesting MW access for me Schrm.
Hope your vision improves Kevin. It's a real nuisance when that happens.
regards
Jane Bennett
schrm

Post by schrm »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 8:51 pm
KevinS wrote: October 25th, 2019, 1:13 am
Happy to help out as co-DPL or whatever. Thanks for requesting MW access for me Schrm.
Hope your vision improves Kevin. It's a real nuisance when that happens.
good morning (here it is :-)),

thank you to both of you!

kevin, your recording is in the mw, thank you!

cheers

ps:
"I plan/planned to watch the text during my listening" - it is like that: some pl like to read along, some don't. when i'm listening in german, i sometimes clean the dishes, when im pling in a foreign langage, for sure not.
one can be influenced by reading along to be strict and pl wordperfect, that is clear. i write some notes, and it is up to the reader (and some readers feel pressed to do the editing, then..).. but as i wrote above: never hesitate to say your answers here, and ever choose other projects, if you do't like persons (or workingstyles) involved.
you don't have to read along as a dpl, that is to say.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

good morning,

here it is :-)
thank you kevin, i will enter the data asap.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275