[COMPLETE] Rubble and Roseleaves-F.W. Boreham (d. 1959) - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

marcelacollado wrote: November 30th, 2019, 5:49 am Hello! I would like to record sections 3 and 4, please :-)

Thank you!

Marcela
All yours, thank you! :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: November 29th, 2019, 11:53 pm Two more sections ready for PL!
These are both PL OK :thumbs:

Yep, snow falling to continue all night and all day tomorrow.
We'll be snowed in, and everything is cancelled for tomorrow -- except my work. Since I can work from home, I'll be on for a 12-hour stint for "Cyber Monday"
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Mast96

Post by Mast96 »

I would like to claim Section 6. That is, Living Dogs and Dead Lions. I will just do one for now since it is my very first recording on here, but if it goes well, I will probably do more after this one is completed. Also, I will still need to send in my one minute test. I will try to do it at least by tomorrow.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Welcome! So glad you decided to join us! I will save this chapter for you. Best of luck on your one-minute test. If I have time, and no one else beats me to it, I will check it myself once you've got it posted.

In the meantime, I will be able to set up your reader page, if you let me know what name you'd like to use. This can be your username, your real name, or whatever else you'd like. I can also add a link to a blog or website if you have one.
Mast96

Post by Mast96 »

I don't have a blog or a website, and you're welcome to use my real name (Mattie) if you'd like! Thank you so much! I'm excited to start and a little nervous as well!
PS: I just got done uploading my test!
Mast96

Post by Mast96 »

Hello, I just got done uploading Section 1 Chapter 5; Living Dogs And Dead Lions. Here is the link to it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rubbleandroses_06_boreham_128kb.mp3 It is 13 minutes and 48 seconds long. Let me know if anything else needs to be changed on it!
Blessings,
Mattie
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Mattie! I've put this in the MW for our DPL (dedicated proof listener), Larry, to listen to.

One note I can give you right away is that your file name is incorrect. You saved this as rubbleandroses_06_boreham_128kb, but it should have been rubbleandroseleaves_06_boreham_128kb. The best way to avoid these kinds of errors is simply to copy and paste from the example file name in the first post, changing the number as needed, of course. Don't rename and reupload yet, though. Wait until Larry listens to your recording, in case there is anything else to change.

And here's to the start of a happy and productive LibriVox career! :birthday:
Mast96

Post by Mast96 »

Oh, my bad!! But thank you! We are also in the middle of switching computers, but I quickly uploaded it today before we took the computer out. The new one won't be here for a week or 2 yet. I did put the file on a thumb drive tho, so I'll be able to put it on the new computer then.
Again, thanks, and have a good weekend...
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Mast96 wrote: December 20th, 2019, 12:55 pm Hello, I just got done uploading Section 1 Chapter 5; Living Dogs And Dead Lions. Here is the link to it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rubbleandroses_06_boreham_128kb.mp3 It is 13 minutes and 48 seconds long. Let me know if anything else needs to be changed on it!
Blessings,
Mattie
Thank you for your recording, Mattie.
Let me make just a couple of suggestions for improvement.

- The background hum could be greatly reduced by using the Noise Reduction feature if you're using Audacity. We have some good tutorials on how to do thiis, but let me know if you need some help. (I roujtinely run noise reduction on all of my recordings). There is also some louder background noise at 2;21-30 and 5:55-6:00 which could also be minimized with noise reduction just at those spots.

- Then your recording is right at the bottom of our acceptable range. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB Yours comes in at 86.3. So, it's in range, but could still be improved by amplification of several dB.

- There is an overall hollowness to the sound, maybe being to far from the microphone, but still acceptable, of course.

So, I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to work on any of the above. It still meets our quality for standard proof listening, so we can accept it as it is.

I think you are off to a very good start, Mattie!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Devorah,
I don't know if I just forgot to update the MW or what, but section 22 is PL OK.
~ Larry
Mast96

Post by Mast96 »

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions!

I did use the noise reduction feature on the whole thing. I was afraid any more nose reduction would distort my voice but maybe it wouldn't. The spots where there is extra background noise is probably where a car was passing our house. I should've stopped recording until it was past. :?

I also did use Audacity's amplifying feature... but maybe not enough..

Also, I was recording in a fairly empty room, with blankets around me, but now we moved a futon bed into the room and I think it'll really improve the sound quality. After this I'll probably sit on it to record hanging blankets around me from the bunk on top... and try to not be so wrapped up in the story that I forget to listen for vehicles passing...

Since we are in the middle of changing computers (we sold what we had and our new one should be here by Friday) and since it does meet the requirements, I think I'll opt to leave it this time.

I was told earlier that I saved the file in the wrong name. Do I fix that, or is that something you all can fix? If that's my job, how do I do it?

Thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for your note, Mattie.

Getting our recording space is one of the biggest challenges most of us face. I've moved a lot in my LV time, so I've had a variety of situations. I think I did my first piece in a car! I've had space in a couple of churches that worked fairly well, but recently a house on the edge of a very busy four-lane road. That was terrible. Last year we moved to a quiet six-acre hill with no close neighbors, and I have permission to turn off the noisy appliance when I record. Next year I may actually have a studio.

I was still contending with too much echo or reverb, so I bought a cheap mike stand to bring the mike closer to my mouth (with pop filter) hung some blankets in back of me to serve as a bass trap, and the difference was remarkably better! Then I can adjust the mike gain so that I don't have to do as much amplification.

It is true that too much noise reduction can cause some audio distortion so it's a balance. I set mine at 12, and if I need more, I find it's better to do a second pass than to run it higher on a single pass. Just my amateur observation. I'm certainly no sound engineer.

So, just keep working on it and trying different things with your new computer and set up.

I'll mark this PL OK

Oh, our MC can adjust the file name before cataloging, so don't worry about it.

~Larry
~ Larry
Mast96

Post by Mast96 »

Thanks a bunch!!
marcelacollado

Post by marcelacollado »

Hello! Sorry for the delay, but here is section 3. I hope everything is ok :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/rubbleandroseleaves_03_boreham_128kb.mp3

19:20

Almost ready with section 4, coming soon!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Mast96 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 1:54 pm Thanks a bunch!!
Thank you, Mattie, and congratulations on your first PL ok section! Would you like to read another?