[Complete] Harper's Young People, Issue 19 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

erieston wrote: October 10th, 2019, 3:14 pmThanks for catching that; I didn't even realize it was so long!! Here's the fixed upload: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_06_various_128kb.mp3

New runtime should be 06:50
Keratak wrote: October 10th, 2019, 3:31 pm Sorry about that. Third time's a charm!
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_07_various_128kb.mp3

(14:01)
All four are PL OK.

I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't notice that poem was a song, or I would have claimed it.

Here's what it sounded like, if you're curious.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

I have now uploaded chapter 4 ,Wills Belgian Night, 17:42 in length, as Hopeforce 1.
Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

Sorry, I forgot to post the link for chapter 4 and hope it's not lost now since I gave the file the right name, I can repost it on the uploader and here if needed.
This is chapter 5.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_05_various_128kb.mp3

Hetty, 11:36 in length.
I need help with how to lower the volume on certain parts of the recording but not in total.
Again sorry for forgetting the link in last post.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hopeforce1 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 8:38 am I have now uploaded chapter 4 ,Wills Belgian Night, 17:42 in length, as Hopeforce 1.
Here are your notes:

0:31: Repetition of 'Will's Belgian Night'
0:37: 'Jun.' is an abbreviation for 'Junior', so should be read as such.
3:01: "but was forced to desist from the attempt in defence to the remonstances" should be "but was forced to desist from the attempt in deference to the remonstances"
3:44: "The conversation incidental to the foregoing episode had been interpreted by Will by his brother, whose French had...has been polished up considerably" should be "The conversation incidental to the foregoing episode had been interpreted to Will by his brother, whose French had been polished up considerably"
4:35: 'Read' in "Read what it says underneath" should be pronounced like 'reed' not 'red' in this case.
4:44: "the way of doing so b...being to break the glass" should be "the way of doing so being to break the glass"
4:58: "with the...without sufficient cause" should be "without sufficient cause"
5:21: Stumble on the word 'rescued' in "and so be rescued"
6:17: "and all the passengers were preparing to "di...descend"" should be "and all the passengers were preparing to "descend""
7:13: "and there were four...uh...waiting-apartments opening out out on it" should be "and there were four waiting-apartments opening out on it"
7:32: "and then hastily m-marked in...on it with a piece of chalk" should be 'and then hastily marked on it with a piece of chalk"
7:57: "From the gestures the later made" should be "From the gestures the latter made" [LAT-er, not LAYT-er]
10:58: "and Will...hurried Will off" should be "and hurried Will off"
12:29: "had been a stray dog not m...capable of saying anything" should be "had been a stray dog not capable of saying anything"
12:59: "The officer eveden...evidently com...prehended this pantomime" should be "The officer evidently comprehended this pantomime"
13:47: "while a tin...thin-toned brass band discoursed popular misi...music" should be "while a thin-toned brass band discoursed popular music"
13:55: I'm hearing "Will stared at this strange act" rather than "Will stared at this strange sight"
13:58: "and then suddenly became conscious at one of the...and the same moment" should be "and then suddenly became conscious at one and the same moment"
14:46: "which plan succeeded a...admiralaby" should be "which plan succeeded admirably" [AD-mer-uh-blee, nor ad-MIRE-uh-luh-bee]
15:13: "The next morning Will opened his eyes in a flood of sh...sunshine" should be "The next morning Will opened his eyes in a flood of sunshine"
16:30: 'ascertained' in "and ascertained that you were safe and sound" is pronounced 'as-er-TEYND', not 'uh-SUR-tnd'
16:46: "which might have been knocks on the door ha...he had heard in his sleep" should be "which might have been knocks on the door he had heard in his sleep"
17:08: ""I never will again," saids...said Will" should be ""I never will again," said Will"
17:27: "and so ex...have experienced" should be "and so have experienced"

I will try to get Section 5 done tomorrow.
Jordan

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hopeforce1 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 11:19 am Sorry, I forgot to post the link for chapter 4 and hope it's not lost now since I gave the file the right name, I can repost it on the uploader and here if needed.
This is chapter 5.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_05_various_128kb.mp3

Hetty, 11:36 in length.
I need help with how to lower the volume on certain parts of the recording but not in total.
Again sorry for forgetting the link in last post.
Here are your notes:

0:47: "that Hetty wished she was grown up enough to have some one come for her in a brand-new budgie" should be "that Hetty wished she was grown up enough to have some one come for her in a brand-new buggy"
1:46: Hesitation between "and" and "Matilda Ann"
4:58: Stumble between "Pretty soon Hetty" and "heard her mother calling her"
5:33: You might want to trim this gap down
7:07: "made me believe" needs to be removed between "Sam Tompkins" and "made believe"
8:58: Stumble between "but after a while made out what it" and "all meant"
9:03: I'm not hearing the word 'So' here, just an 's'. Also, I'm hearing 'Yames' rather than 'James'
9:30: Hearing 'Yames' again instead of 'James'
10:18: Stumble between "Then the teacher" and "spoke very kindly". Also, reduce the gap between 'spoke' and 'very kindly'
10:43: Repetition of 'I'
10:55: Repetition of "May I tell mother about it?"
11:04: 'extravagant' in "for I don't want to be thought extravagant" should be pronounced ik-STRAV-uh-guhnt, not ik-strah-VAY-jent
11:21: Stumble between "who looked almost as bright" and "and happy as the chief actors"
11:30: Ending silence is a tad too long. You should be aiming for 5 seconds, and you've got about 6.7.

If you want to reduce the volume on a specific part, highlight it, go to Effect then Amplify, then set the value how you want it (you'll need to use a negative number to reduce the volume).
Jordan

BettyB

Post by BettyB »

sections will be in this weekend.

BettyB
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_09_various_128kb.mp3 (23.39)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_10_various_128kb.mp3 (2.27)

Note: On Section 9 I put the Advertisements in there rather than Chapter 10. I think I was subconsciously following the Table of Contents rather than the MW.

Hope this works.
Betty
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Hello! Sorry for the delayed reply to all the posts. I've been monitoring but didn't have time during the week to post a reply.

Hopeforce1 -- thanks for your sections! No worries about forgetting the link, there's a lot to figure out as you're getting started at LibriVox and you're definitely not the first person to forget a detail like that (me, too). JorWat has given you some great, detailed and helpful feedback on edits you need to make to your sections. One tip for making those edits is to start with the last one and work your way backward through the time stamps listed, that way the times stamps will stay accurate throughout the editing. Let us know if you need more support in decreasing volume or making your edits. I promise, LibriVox gets easier with each section you complete.

JorWat -- thanks, as always, for the careful proof listening!

BettyB -- thanks for your sections, as always! And no problem about the Advertisements being in Section 9 instead of 10, I moved it in the MW to match what you recorded.

I appreciate all of your efforts and time spent on this project. :thumbs:

Jill
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

BettyB wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 10:48 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_09_various_128kb.mp3 (23.39)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_10_various_128kb.mp3 (2.27)

Note: On Section 9 I put the Advertisements in there rather than Chapter 10. I think I was subconsciously following the Table of Contents rather than the MW.

Hope this works.
Betty
Both are PL OK. Also, that is so not how "the theory of Mr. Darwin" works...
Jordan

jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thanks, Jordan!

Jill
Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

Hi, it is Hopeforce1 again.
I have now looked at the notes for Wills Belgian night, rerecorded, and I articulate more so I don't stutter, I also slowed down the pace so my breathing is better. I had the british accent all the way through instead of switching between british and American accent.
The recording is 22:39 long and here is the link
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_04_various128kb.mp3
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hopeforce1 wrote: November 5th, 2019, 9:02 am Hi, it is Hopeforce1 again.
I have now looked at the notes for Wills Belgian night, rerecorded, and I articulate more so I don't stutter, I also slowed down the pace so my breathing is better. I had the british accent all the way through instead of switching between british and American accent.
The recording is 22:39 long and here is the link
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hyp019_04_various128kb.mp3
Only a couple of fixes required:

13:11: 'inevitable' in "When one of the inevitable gens-d'armes" should be pronounced 'in-EV-i-tuh-bul', not 'in-i-VYTE-uh-bul'
13:16: Stumble between 'sprang' and 'up'
21:12: 'ascertained' in "and ascertained that you were safe and sound" should be pronounced 'as-er-TEYND', not 'uh-SUR-tnd'
Jordan

Hopeforce1

Post by Hopeforce1 »

Very sorry but someone else has to take my chapters, the charger on my laptop is broken , I'm writing on my cellphone now, and I am and have been at a place where no such stores are close by.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hopeforce1 wrote: November 20th, 2019, 12:45 pm Very sorry but someone else has to take my chapters, the charger on my laptop is broken , I'm writing on my cellphone now, and I am and have been at a place where no such stores are close by.
In light of this, I have set Section 4 as PL OK, and have done a little editing myself where no re-recording was needed.
Jordan