[COMPLETE][SciFi]Nequa or The Problem of the Ages by "Jack Adams" -lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I started listening to the PL backlog here, and sorry for the delay.

Lee, your two sections were very interesting to listen to. Section 13 really was a longish treatise about the exploitation of the banks :shock: but quite true what the authors wrote in there.

I found a few spots to correct, if you wouldn't mind. Don't worry, no need to re-record it all ! Only correct he time stamps I will mention in my list. It will save you (and me) a lot of time ;)

PL notes for Section 11:

> at 0:16: second part of full LV disclaimer intro is missing, please add: "NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams." before starting with Chapter 10

> at 11:47: missed part: "but what shall I write to Ganoe ?"

> at 18:23: "and under the operation of an awakened conscience" – you say "awkward" instead of "awakened", which changes the meaning a lot

> at 43:50: stumble: "relieves my mind" – you say "relieves me my mind" – "me" can easily get cut out

> at 44:21: "and ethical problem" – you say "ethnical"

> at 55:28: missed part of sentence: "all is well"

PL notes for Section 13:

> at 0:17: also here: second part of full LV disclaimer intro is missing, please add: "NEQUA or The Problem of the Ages, by Jack Adams. Chapter 12. The institute of superintendents. Part 1"

> at 10:47: "cumbersome" – you say "curbsome"

> at 24:07: "Under the inequitable methods of exchange" – you say "equivalent" instead of "inequitable"

> at 28:53: missed sentence: "At frequent intervals, these bank panics reduced thousands of people to bankruptcy."

> at 38:37: "End of Chapter 12, Part 1." – you say "End of Section 13"

Just reupload with the same filename.

Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peaceblossom wrote: May 28th, 2021, 5:33 amHere is the recording with the volume corrected. At least, the Checker says it passed. ( :
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_10_adams_128kb.mp3
30:36
hello and thank you for your recording. It seems I don't have to relisten to this, as the PL notes only referred to the volume, is this correct ? You did not change anything else ? :hmm: Otherwise I will have to relisten to it from scratch, unless you tell me the exact spots that you changed.

I was startled by the change of length though, it looks like something was added...on a hunch I checked the end silence, and indeed you have nearly 10 seconds of silence instead of the standard 5 required. Could you please cut down to 5 seconds and reupload with the same filename ?

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 3:50 pmChapter 13 (Bona Dea) Part 1 is ready for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_13_adams_128kb.mp3
28:29
Hi Christina :) I remember you from the Rover project, so nice to listen to you again here 8-) The chapter is wonderfully narrated again, it was a treat. Thank you ! Looking forward to the rest of the chapter.

There are a few PL notes here though:

> from 0:00 to 0:04: the intro silence is way too long for a listener who would think something is wrong with the file ;) we recommend leaving silence between 0,5 and 1 second maximum at the beginning (it's 5 seconds at the end, in case you were confused by this)

> at 0:04: Chapter 13, Part 1 of Nequa" – maybe best also include "Part 1" here, as the chapter is split

> at 0:27: "Chapter 13. Part 1. Bona Dea" – you forgot the title of the chapter, I think Linny wanted the title to be like marked in the Magic Window, also adding "Part 1" again since the chapter is split (you did it correctly in the end)

> at 8:47: four paragraphs are missing here, please include all the following:
"Then," interposed Norrena, who had joined us, "show them how to get rid of poverty. Without economic independence, political independence and personal liberty, under the law, are a hollow mockery. There can be no progress without freedom, and there can be no freedom as long as a people are driven to their work by the stern lash of necessity."

"But how is it," I asked, "that you have such a realizing sense of the horrors of poverty, when you have always had an abundance?"

"Because it is the one great object," said Norrena, "of our educational training and of our Altrurian civilization to provide against want, and to relieve distress wherever found. Every student in our schools is required to make a careful study of our Transition Period, the helpless, hopeless condition of the poverty stricken masses, and the methods by which they got out, and which must be continued in order to stay out."

"But why," I asked, "do you now, after centuries of abundance, still make these lessons so prominent in your educational system?"
> at 24:18: " a first-class exposition of the present day in the United States" – you say "first day", which changes the time period quite a bit ;)

> and as mentioned yesterday, please reupload with the correct filename, the section number should be 15 for your file

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:54 amHere is Section 17:
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_17_adams_128kb.mp3
and last but not least and then I am up-to-date with the PLing here.

Thank you, Jim, as always, great reading and nearly flawless :thumbs: I did not like the Captain's bigotted views on marriage at all :lol:

A few small notes here as well, only concerning the intro:

> at 0:01: Chapter 14, Part 1 of Nequa" – maybe best also include "Part 1" here, as the chapter is split
> at 0:25: "Chapter 14. Part 1. Through the air to Lake Byblis" – also here please include the chapter and part

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Update: as the reader for Section 12 has been absent for quite some time and the 2-month-deadline has long expired, I will orphan the section and it's up for grabs again.

Moving us back to Readers Wanted.

Sonia
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Kitty wrote: July 11th, 2021, 11:50 am
MolehillMtn wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 2:45 pmHi folks! Can I have an extension of 15 and 16? Slower going than I anticipated...
thank you for letting us know, I gave you an extension till 27 July, I hope you can finish without stress. Please keep us informed of any updates before that deadline. :)

Something else, regarding filenames and section numbers:
Chapter 13 (Bona Dea) Part 1 is ready for PL!
This should have been Section 15, not 13. Always use the section number, not the chapter number. You now overwrote the actual section 13 in the process. I will check it out and sort out the trouble tomorrow, while I PL both sections. So for the time being, no need to do anything yet. Wait for my feedback tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

Thank you

Sonia
So sorry for the inconvenience this caused! Based on later posts, it looks like Lee and Sonia were able to recover the file I overwrote (unless it was re-recorded :roll: ) Either way, apologies again and I'll make sure to triple check before uploading next time.
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Kitty wrote: July 12th, 2021, 3:08 am
MolehillMtn wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 3:50 pmChapter 13 (Bona Dea) Part 1 is ready for PL!
Hi Christina :) I remember you from the Rover project, so nice to listen to you again here 8-) The chapter is wonderfully narrated again, it was a treat. Thank you ! Looking forward to the rest of the chapter.

There are a few PL notes here though:

> from 0:00 to 0:04: the intro silence is way too long for a listener who would think something is wrong with the file ;) we recommend leaving silence between 0,5 and 1 second maximum at the beginning (it's 5 seconds at the end, in case you were confused by this)

> at 0:04: Chapter 13, Part 1 of Nequa" – maybe best also include "Part 1" here, as the chapter is split

> at 0:27: "Chapter 13. Part 1. Bona Dea" – you forgot the title of the chapter, I think Linny wanted the title to be like marked in the Magic Window, also adding "Part 1" again since the chapter is split (you did it correctly in the end)

> at 8:47: four paragraphs are missing here, please include all the following:
"Then," interposed Norrena, who had joined us, "show them how to get rid of poverty. Without economic independence, political independence and personal liberty, under the law, are a hollow mockery. There can be no progress without freedom, and there can be no freedom as long as a people are driven to their work by the stern lash of necessity."

"But how is it," I asked, "that you have such a realizing sense of the horrors of poverty, when you have always had an abundance?"

"Because it is the one great object," said Norrena, "of our educational training and of our Altrurian civilization to provide against want, and to relieve distress wherever found. Every student in our schools is required to make a careful study of our Transition Period, the helpless, hopeless condition of the poverty stricken masses, and the methods by which they got out, and which must be continued in order to stay out."

"But why," I asked, "do you now, after centuries of abundance, still make these lessons so prominent in your educational system?"
> at 24:18: " a first-class exposition of the present day in the United States" – you say "first day", which changes the time period quite a bit ;)

> and as mentioned yesterday, please reupload with the correct filename, the section number should be 15 for your file

thanks

Sonia
Hi again, Sonia! You were so welcoming and kind in your Rover project PL notes (I think those were some of my first notes at LV), so I couldn't forget you either :9:
Thanks for all your work on this book!

Those were some pretty big oversights, but I think I've sorted them out now...
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_15_adams_128kb.mp3
29:27
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: July 16th, 2021, 7:55 pmThose were some pretty big oversights, but I think I've sorted them out now...
thank you for the speedy corrections and everything has been so nicely edited :thumbs: wouldn't hear a difference in sound with the newly patched lines.

Only one small bit still missing:

> at 0:23: "Chapter 13. Part 1. Bona Dea" - still the title is missing, which the others seem to include. In the MW only the first title of the many intro titles is always added, so I thought it's what Linny would have wanted to include. Usually we read the title as in the MW.

The rest is perfect.

Thanks

Sonia
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Kitty wrote: July 18th, 2021, 1:38 am
MolehillMtn wrote: July 16th, 2021, 7:55 pmThose were some pretty big oversights, but I think I've sorted them out now...
thank you for the speedy corrections and everything has been so nicely edited :thumbs: wouldn't hear a difference in sound with the newly patched lines.

Only one small bit still missing:

> at 0:23: "Chapter 13. Part 1. Bona Dea" - still the title is missing, which the others seem to include. In the MW only the first title of the many intro titles is always added, so I thought it's what Linny would have wanted to include. Usually we read the title as in the MW.

The rest is perfect.

Thanks

Sonia
Ahh so sorry about that :shock: --This is the recording with it added: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_15_adams_128kb.mp3
29:28
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: July 18th, 2021, 11:07 am Ahh so sorry about that :shock: --This is the recording with it added: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_15_adams_128kb.mp3
29:28
:thumbs: yes, you nailed it now :lol: And PL ok, thanks !!!

Sonia
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Section 16 is ready for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/nequa_16_adams_128kb.mp3
31:31

(I did some experimenting with leveling/sound normalization for the first time, so if the settings on Section 15 worked better than this one, I can change it to those instead...)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: July 18th, 2021, 1:46 pmSection 16 is ready for PL!
31:31
(I did some experimenting with leveling/sound normalization for the first time, so if the settings on Section 15 worked better than this one, I can change it to those instead...)
thank you for another flawless narrative. Though I must admit, the whole concepts presented here went a bit above my head :lol: I think they could have said the same things with much less words ;)

To me the audio sounds ok, so whatever settings you used, it works. But your sound before was ok for me as well, so I think you can use whatever feels best for you.

Only one small thing to be tweaked is the ending silence, because you stop quite abruptly, while we need the standard 5 seconds of silence at the end. I you could just add that and reupload with the same filename, then all is perfect.

Thanks

Sonia
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi! I would like to do section 12 :?:
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Kitty wrote: July 19th, 2021, 3:44 am
thank you for another flawless narrative. Though I must admit, the whole concepts presented here went a bit above my head :lol: I think they could have said the same things with much less words ;)

To me the audio sounds ok, so whatever settings you used, it works. But your sound before was ok for me as well, so I think you can use whatever feels best for you.

Only one small thing to be tweaked is the ending silence, because you stop quite abruptly, while we need the standard 5 seconds of silence at the end. I you could just add that and reupload with the same filename, then all is perfect.

Thanks

Sonia
I definitely agree--it's too bad we can't visit that museum and get a visual summary of everything Nequa said.

Thanks for the feedback on the audio!

Sure thing. (My brain was probably too exhausted from all the conceptual material to remember that step :lol: )
31:36
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 19th, 2021, 3:48 pm Hi! I would like to do section 12 :?:
thank you for making us fully claimed again :9:

over to Readers Found !!!

Sonia