COMPLETE [BIO] Twelve Good Musicians - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kevin, Just letting you know I expect to get to PL your sections in the next few days. Have downloaded 6 and 7
regards
Jane Bennett
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 9:46 pm Kevin, Just letting you know I expect to get to PL your sections in the next few days. Have downloaded 6 and 7
Thank you. This is very nice of you!
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 10th, 2019, 12:54 am Note that I don’t have access to the MW, so either you, Kevin, or Kiki will need to update it with status of PL (or give me update access, whichever )

Added you as the co-Bc to give you access to the MW. :) You should now be able to access it.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Just to let you know that I have made the corrections to Section 12 with the exception of Pepys's correct pronunciation. I hope to get to that tomorrow!
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

KevinS wrote: October 12th, 2019, 5:37 pm Just to let you know that I have made the corrections to Section 12 with the exception of Pepys's correct pronunciation. I hope to get to that tomorrow!
I shall be listening for the snicker in your voice when you say 'peeps' :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

PL for Section 6.
Nice - had never heard of him. Managed to track down a couple of pieces via Spotify, so thanks.
Only 3 little things:

~ 4.51 psalmodic... I hear something akin to 'psalmittic' and given the focus of the book, think it important to have this word clear
~ 9.26 the year is 1610 (not 1016!)
~ 10.43 text "...years would elapse between ..." - but you said before

Note that I only highlight a 'wrong' word when it changes the meaning. There's a couple of places where you've subbed a different word, but so minor and makes no difference whatsoever that I have ignored them. Hope this is OK.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kikisaulite wrote: October 12th, 2019, 9:04 am
Jmbau13 wrote: October 10th, 2019, 12:54 am Note that I don’t have access to the MW, so either you, Kevin, or Kiki will need to update it with status of PL (or give me update access, whichever )

Added you as the co-Bc to give you access to the MW. :) You should now be able to access it.
Thank you! I can.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kevin, PL for section 7
Only a few things

~ 1.14 text says Volume III (I heard volume A or perhaps 8?)
~ 02.13 text says "...the antiquary, in the Mus. Ashm. Oxon, ' that Milton's father..." but you have read just "the antiquary that Milton's father..." Not sure if you left this out by design or accident. The rather odd looking abbreviation stands for 'Ashmolean Museum in Oxford' Should we in the interests of complete text, read it? Your call.
~2.57 'Blending such tones..' (not tunes)
~ 3.49 text says "a member of the Scriveners Company (1599-1600). " I think this would be read as '1599 to 1600' rather than 'in 1599 or perhaps 1600' as you have.
~4.21 and Tunes in RavenScroft's Psalter (1621) - parts omitted shown in red
~8.13 Presuming you omitted the rather opaque reference deliberately, treating as a footnote. Agree. This writer is very fond of somewhat obscure (to us) abbreviations

I have also learned that there is a difference in how antiquaryis said (British stresses the 2nd syllable whereas US does not)
Reading the possessive form of Ravenscroft (ie, Ravenscroft's) is quite a tongue twister!

And what an interesting little chappy the writer is. I am rather enjoying the little personal observations he makes. And had no idea that the famous British poet's father was an accomplished musician.
regards
Jane Bennett
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm Kevin, PL for section 7
Only a few things

~ 1.14 text says Volume III (I heard volume A or perhaps 8?)
~ 02.13 text says "...the antiquary, in the Mus. Ashm. Oxon, ' that Milton's father..." but you have read just "the antiquary that Milton's father..." Not sure if you left this out by design or accident. The rather odd looking abbreviation stands for 'Ashmolean Museum in Oxford' Should we in the interests of complete text, read it? Your call.
~2.57 'Blending such tones..' (not tunes)
~ 3.49 text says "a member of the Scriveners Company (1599-1600). " I think this would be read as '1599 to 1600' rather than 'in 1599 or perhaps 1600' as you have.
~4.21 and Tunes in RavenScroft's Psalter (1621) - parts omitted shown in red
~8.13 Presuming you omitted the rather opaque reference deliberately, treating as a footnote. Agree. This writer is very fond of somewhat obscure (to us) abbreviations

I have also learned that there is a difference in how antiquaryis said (British stresses the 2nd syllable whereas US does not)
Reading the possessive form of Ravenscroft (ie, Ravenscroft's) is quite a tongue twister!

And what an interesting little chappy the writer is. I am rather enjoying the little personal observations he makes. And had no idea that the famous British poet's father was an accomplished musician.
You're so kind to me.

(To be honest, I've recently been a little discouraged by how many mistakes, oddities, and omissions have been creeping into my recordings.)
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

KevinS wrote: October 13th, 2019, 7:10 pm You're so kind to me.

(To be honest, I've recently been a little discouraged by how many mistakes, oddities, and omissions have been creeping into my recordings.)
That's a pity. Perhaps a time for a small break? Or space out your readings more? Or look for a more enjoyable writer or three? Swap reading for PL for a while?
I don't push myself on it very hard, as it gets to feel a bit too much like work otherwise, and I've left that behind now :clap: I do think the old fashioned style of some of the texts make it easy to make mistakes in places though.
regards
Jane Bennett
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 7:56 pm
KevinS wrote: October 13th, 2019, 7:10 pm You're so kind to me.

That's a pity. Perhaps a time for a small break? Or space out your readings more? Or look for a more enjoyable writer or three? Swap reading for PL for a while?
I don't push myself on it very hard, as it gets to feel a bit too much like work otherwise, and I've left that behind now :clap: I do think the old fashioned style of some of the texts make it easy to make mistakes in places though.
I have been shifting more to PLing recently and I'm trying to record only when I feel well rested. Thankfully, everything is still a pleasure, but I will be cautious. I very much appreciate your kind advice.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chapter 8 uploaded.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kevin, Milton is PL OK. How fascinating that the father was a musician and his son a poet!
regards
Jane Bennett
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 31st, 2019, 5:51 pm Kevin, Milton is PL OK. How fascinating that the father was a musician and his son a poet!
Thank you.

I am now correcting a mistake I made in another recording---for Gibbons. I thought that I might pronounce 'viol' as in the Italian viola da gamba. Apparently the English pronunciation is more like violin. Argghhh. VY-ol.