[COMPLETE][HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY]World's Story 8: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, the Poles - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 8:44 pmHere is Section 83, which I promise has that correct number in its filename and all 3 places in the actual recording! (Still has 84 in a tag, but I figure it will get wiped out in cataloguing, so left it)
can I have the link and the file-length please ? :hmm:

And yes, it is always important to upload with the correct filename. Because if you upload a section wrongly numbered 84 then you will overwrite the correct section 84 with your recording. If this doesn't get noticed then we end up with twice your text in both sections and the real section 84 is missing. :?

Here in this case it would not have been such a catastrophe because the real section 84 has not been recorded and uploaded yet, so there is nothing to overwrite. In that case I can indeed simply make a change of filename. But the risk of overwriting is a real one, so best always make sure you have the correct filename. And if you ever notice that you accidentally uploaded a wrong filenumber, please always let the BC/MC of the project know what happened, then there is still time to sort out the confusion before cataloguing.

As for tags...yes I don't think they matter. Actually you don't need to add tags at all, they get automatically generated later on.

Thanks

Sonia
flup

Post by flup »

Kitty wrote: October 14th, 2019, 5:19 am
flup wrote: October 13th, 2019, 9:33 amYay, I finally finished them all!!!
yay indeed, and I listened to them all now in a row. :9: Excellent epics, all of them. The stories of Rorik and Uffe were wholly new to me, but Balder's and Grendel's demise I knew of course. Wonderfully narrated, all of them. Loved the voices you're giving the characters, especially poor Hrothgar :lol: he sounds like the weakling he is always portrayed to be. Somehow I never really liked Hrothgar, he didn't strike me as a forceful king, rather hoping that others would do the dangerous work for him.

Sections 48 and 49 are already marked PL ok.

I have two small edits to note for the other two sections:

for Section 7:
> at 12:28: “this recording is in the public domain” – you say “this work” but this is an optional change, as it’s basically the same. It would only be for consistency’s sake, but I leave it up to you. Just let me know if you changed anything or not.

for Section 50:
> at 9:40: (p. 253) “what he had consigned long ago to earth” – I hear “conquered” if I’m not mistaken, which is a change of meaning here

thanks, Philip, great job. Happy to have you in this project. 8-)

Sonia

OK, I just re-uploaded both of them with the corrections!!! Sorry it took so long!!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

flup wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:42 amOK, I just re-uploaded both of them with the corrections!!! Sorry it took so long!!!
excellent patches, Philip, thank you so much. Both PL ok now, and don't worry about being late, we are still waiting for other sections, so there was time. :)

Have a nice weekend

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Sorry for my delay in getting to these!

Section 52 (Waldemar)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_052_tappan_128kb.mp3

9:23

Section 58 (Madman of the North)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_058_tappan_128kb.mp3

9:00

I've recorded the third section I signed up for (section 61 - Caroline Matilda) and will upload when I finish editing it sometime this weekend.

Thanks for your patience!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: October 19th, 2019, 12:17 pm Sorry for my delay in getting to these!
Section 52 (Waldemar)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_052_tappan_128kb.mp3

Section 58 (Madman of the North)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_058_tappan_128kb.mp3

I've recorded the third section I signed up for (section 61 - Caroline Matilda) and will upload when I finish editing it sometime this weekend.
wonderful, thank you so much Colleen :9: better late than never ! And both sections are exquisitely narrated, and flawless too. Absolutely PL ok. With this you push us over 100 OK sections. :clap:

Thank you, and have a nice weekend still

Sonia
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Kitty wrote: October 19th, 2019, 1:08 am
Jmbau13 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 8:44 pmHere is Section 83, which I promise has that correct number in its filename and all 3 places in the actual recording! (Still has 84 in a tag, but I figure it will get wiped out in cataloguing, so left it)
can I have the link and the file-length please ? :hmm:

And yes, it is always important to upload with the correct filename. Because if you upload a section wrongly numbered 84 then you will overwrite the correct section 84 with your recording. If this doesn't get noticed then we end up with twice your text in both sections and the real section 84 is missing. :?

Here in this case it would not have been such a catastrophe because the real section 84 has not been recorded and uploaded yet, so there is nothing to overwrite. In that case I can indeed simply make a change of filename. But the risk of overwriting is a real one, so best always make sure you have the correct filename. And if you ever notice that you accidentally uploaded a wrong filenumber, please always let the BC/MC of the project know what happened, then there is still time to sort out the confusion before cataloguing.

As for tags...yes I don't think they matter. Actually you don't need to add tags at all, they get automatically generated later on.

Thanks

Sonia
I don't know what I've done (probably offended the Librivox god/s) but seem to have jinxed myself into making just about every basic mistake possible. So sorry! :roll: :oops: :shock: :(

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_083_tappan_128kb.mp3 9.58s

Do understand about the danger of overwrite, but in this case it hadn't been recorded and uploaded yet, as I checked.
regards
Jane Bennett
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 19th, 2019, 7:38 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_083_tappan_128kb.mp3 9.58s

Do understand about the danger of overwrite, but in this case it hadn't been recorded and uploaded yet, as I checked.
:thumbs: yes always good to check beforehand, but as I said, if a mistake happens one day, it can always get repaired by the MC, you only need to tell them.

And thank you for this informative section on bishops in Greenland. Nicely narrated again, and basically word-perfect. Excellent.

I only have two small corrections to note down:

> at 0:36: (p. 416): between title and author, could you please also insert the year "1126". I always want to include the full title as in the book. Especially since this is a history book, it's good to have the historical context straight from the start

> at 7:20-7:22: between "some four centuries later" and "finding they did not get a bishop": the pause feels a bit long, over 2 seconds is very long, I would cut a little bit there

thank you so much !

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: October 20th, 2019, 10:22 amPart 61 (Fall of Caroline Matilda)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_061_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you so much, Colleen, also this section is PL ok. I think there was a movie about Queen Mathilda and Struensee a while back but I didn't see it. Might well be worth watching though. Tragic ending though, he seems to have been a good character.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Announcement: as we are now under 10 sections to go, I will launch the next book very soon...some time next week, probably around Wednesday. It will be about England from the early days till the Tudor times. So stay tuned !!! Will post the link here as soon as I have the MW up.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: October 20th, 2019, 12:39 pm Announcement: as we are now under 10 sections to go, I will launch the next book very soon...some time next week, probably around Wednesday. It will be about England from the early days till the Tudor times. So stay tuned !!! Will post the link here as soon as I have the MW up.

Sonia
Can't wait to see the chapters that will be up for claiming then. :clap: :thumbs:
April
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Kitty wrote: October 20th, 2019, 12:36 pm
ColleenMc wrote: October 20th, 2019, 10:22 amPart 61 (Fall of Caroline Matilda)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_061_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you so much, Colleen, also this section is PL ok. I think there was a movie about Queen Mathilda and Struensee a while back but I didn't see it. Might well be worth watching though. Tragic ending though, he seems to have been a good character.

Sonia
The excerpt was very dramatic -- I'm interested in learning more about the whole situation. I'm fairly familiar with British and US/colonial history from the time period but not the rest of Europe. With as many times as pop culture has retold Henry VIII/wives, Elizabeth I etc., they should cast a wider net and pull in some of these other stories that aren't as familiar.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Here's the corrected S83.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_083_tappan_128kb.mp3

Looking forward to the next.
regards
Jane Bennett
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 20th, 2019, 8:23 pm Here's the corrected S83.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_083_tappan_128kb.mp3
Looking forward to the next.
thank you Jane, it's PL ok now :) and I hope I'll see you in the next book

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ANNOUNCEMENT

earlier than expected, Book 9 is launched:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76913

after the huuuge title in this project, you may all be pleased to notice that the next book will be called "England". :lol:

Sonia