[Group]The A to Zed Collection - lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 20th, 2019, 12:19 pm

maxgal wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Lynnet wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 11:47 am
maxgal wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 11:11 am


Well, the spelling of Vampire/Vampyre is neither here nor there for the recording itself, though it matters for the catalogue.
And as for the author(s), I don't know whom to credit (either Prest or Rymer or both) -- and also don't know which version of Prest's middle name to use (if he is to be credited).
So I need some guidance from those more expertful than I.
But no rush; I have a few other projects to finish before vivifying this vamp. :twisted:
Thank you...LJB
Just adding my input here: use whichever spelling is on the text you read from. Or not. It’s up to you, but I’d suggest you do.
As far as co-authors are concerned, I’d read both names, and, again, as on the version you use. But Kevin, you can only put one in the metadata, so you will know Prest is already in the database (as he is credited in the other version). I don’t know about the other guy, but I’d go with Prest for simplicity.

OK, so here is My Executive Decision:
I will be reading from PGutenberg, so it will be "Varney the Vampire" by both "Thomas Preskett Prest" and "James Malcolm Rymer."
(https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14833)
(https://www.gutenberg.org/files/14833/14833-h/14833-h.htm)
Thanks for the cogitations, Lynne & Kevin...LJB
I'm told that bran is good for cogitation.
E agora, José?

maxgal
Posts: 229
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » July 20th, 2019, 12:22 pm

maxgal wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Lynnet wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 11:47 am
maxgal wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 11:11 am


Well, the spelling of Vampire/Vampyre is neither here nor there for the recording itself, though it matters for the catalogue.
And as for the author(s), I don't know whom to credit (either Prest or Rymer or both) -- and also don't know which version of Prest's middle name to use (if he is to be credited).
So I need some guidance from those more expertful than I.
But no rush; I have a few other projects to finish before vivifying this vamp. :twisted:
Thank you...LJB
Just adding my input here: use whichever spelling is on the text you read from. Or not. It’s up to you, but I’d suggest you do.
As far as co-authors are concerned, I’d read both names, and, again, as on the version you use. But Kevin, you can only put one in the metadata, so you will know Prest is already in the database (as he is credited in the other version). I don’t know about the other guy, but I’d go with Prest for simplicity.

OK, so here is My Executive Decision:
I will be reading from PGutenberg, so it will be "Varney the Vampire" by both "Thomas Preskett Prest" and "James Malcolm Rymer."
(https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14833)
(https://www.gutenberg.org/files/14833/14833-h/14833-h.htm)
Thanks for the cogitations, Lynne & Kevin...LJB

O -- and just to be clear, because these old tomes have plenty of upfront verbiage, here is what I propose to say after the initial title/disclaimer:
"Varney the Vampire: or, The Feast of Blood: A Romance."
"CHAPTER I."
"How graves give up their dead. / And how the night air hideous grows/ With shrieks!"
"MIDNIGHT.—THE HAIL-STORM.—THE DREADFUL VISITOR.—THE VAMPYRE."
"The solemn tones of an old cathedral clock have announced...." [...and continue with the text itself...]
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 20th, 2019, 1:12 pm

O, good call!
E agora, José?

maxgal
Posts: 229
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » July 20th, 2019, 6:30 pm

KevinS wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 1:12 pm
O, good call!
FAB. It's in the lineup...
Louise
"every little breeze..."


BettyB
Posts: 2052
Joined: July 7th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Post by BettyB » July 24th, 2019, 3:27 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/atozed_08_various_128kb.mp3 7.08 KB

Time is 7:32

The Handy Man by Kate Gannett Wells from
The Boston Cooking School Magazine
August-September 1905

archive.org/details/bub_gb_PVkBAAAAYAAJ/page/n129
Betty
Last edited by BettyB on August 2nd, 2019, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 24th, 2019, 3:39 pm

BettyB wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 3:27 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/atozed_08_various_128kb.mp3 7.08 KB

Time is 7:32

Thee Handy Man by Kate Gannett Wells from
The Boston Cooking School Magazine
August-September 1905

archive.org/details/bub_gb_PVkBAAAAYAAJ/page/n129
Betty
Thank you!
E agora, José?

ej400
Posts: 2132
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 10:26 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by ej400 » July 24th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Foon has Section 6 (F) right? Well we can't hand her an F, because she got an A+ on this one. PL OK!

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 24th, 2019, 5:35 pm

ej400 wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Foon has Section 6 (F) right? Well we can't hand her an F, because she got an A+ on this one. PL OK!
Hahaha! You're getting good at this ej.
E agora, José?

ej400
Posts: 2132
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 10:26 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by ej400 » July 26th, 2019, 10:23 am

The reading for section 5 (E), was E. It's a new grade I came up with, which beats the A+, because well, it's the first letter in my name :mrgreen: <mrgreen> But seriously, the reading was really nice!

However, there is a slight, tiny problem with the file name. It should be https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/atozed_00_various_128kb.mp3 (or in this case 05). Yours has been uploaded as https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/appliedpsychologyfornurses_05_porter_128kb.mp3.

For that reason I have to mark it see PL notes. Sorry.

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 26th, 2019, 10:25 am

ej400 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:23 am
The reading for section 5 (E), was E. It's a new grade I came up with, which beats the A+, because well, it's the first letter in my name :mrgreen: <mrgreen> But seriously, the reading was really nice!

However, there is a slight, tiny problem with the file name. It should be https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/atozed_00_various_128kb.mp3 (or in this case 05). Yours has been uploaded as https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/appliedpsychologyfornurses_05_porter_128kb.mp3.

For that reason I have to mark it see PL notes. Sorry.
E stands for excellent, I think. J stands for...?
E agora, José?

svonb002
Posts: 149
Joined: May 9th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida USA

Post by svonb002 » July 26th, 2019, 11:10 am

Hello, may I claim section 11 representing the letter "K"?
~ Stefan V.

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 26th, 2019, 12:03 pm

svonb002 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 11:10 am
Hello, may I claim section 11 representing the letter "K"?
You got it! K?

And thank you!
E agora, José?

svonb002
Posts: 149
Joined: May 9th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida USA

Post by svonb002 » July 26th, 2019, 6:07 pm

~ Stefan V.

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 26th, 2019, 6:15 pm

svonb002 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Kin to Sorrow by Edna St. Vincent Millay

File: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/atozed_11_various_128kb.mp3 1:34 min

Source: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/109
Wonderful. Thank you!
E agora, José?

Post Reply