[CHILDREN ADVENTURE]No Quarter! by Thomas Mayne Reid - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » October 21st, 2019, 11:23 am

Oh boy! That stinks, Russ!

Firstly, you have two months to record your sections, and this project has been moving slowly. I don't mind waiting for a while to see if this situation can be resolved quickly. You are a great reader, I would feel bad for you if you have to stop just because of the recording software! We will get this figured out!

Second, I don't use Apple thingies, so I don't know what you can use. I will copy and paste this post into the Help Wanted forum to see if someone has an answer. Usually, someone does and that answer comes very quickly!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Shasta

Post by Shasta » October 21st, 2019, 12:21 pm

Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All is not lost. I went back to Audacityteam.org and poked around and found that there is a "workaround". It takes a little time to effect, but it works, so, unless something else interferes, it appears as though I can go ahead with those chapters (unless you have already reassigned them). :) :) :)
Russ Bruno

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » October 21st, 2019, 8:07 pm

Shasta wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 12:21 pm
Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All is not lost. I went back to Audacityteam.org and poked around and found that there is a "workaround". It takes a little time to effect, but it works, so, unless something else interferes, it appears as though I can go ahead with those chapters (unless you have already reassigned them). :) :) :)

I have not taken your chapters away from you! They are yours until you tell me otherwise!

Here is an answer to your question, I hope!

viewtopic.php?p=1640678#p1640678
Ann

katboopla

Post by katboopla » October 26th, 2019, 7:09 am

May I have sections 8 & 9?
:9:

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » October 26th, 2019, 9:08 pm

katboopla wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 7:09 am
May I have sections 8 & 9?
Of course! Thank you!
Ann

Shasta

Post by Shasta » November 2nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

It appears that I will not be able to record Chapters 0, 1, 4, 5 and 6 after all. I was able do the "workaround" and record Chapter 0 and partially edit it but when a power outage turned my computer off the "workaround" no longer worked and I can't seem to make it work again. It may be that Apple will allow its updated operating system (MacOS Version 10.15 Catalina) to support Audacity in the future as other MacOS versions have done, but right now that is not the case. And it appears that I cannot return to an earlier version. If you know of a recording program other than Audacity that works with Catalina, please let me know.
Russ Bruno

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 2nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Shasta wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 5:17 pm
It appears that I will not be able to record Chapters 0, 1, 4, 5 and 6 after all. I was able do the "workaround" and record Chapter 0 and partially edit it but when a power outage turned my computer off the "workaround" no longer worked and I can't seem to make it work again. It may be that Apple will allow its updated operating system (MacOS Version 10.15 Catalina) to support Audacity in the future as other MacOS versions have done, but right now that is not the case. And it appears that I cannot return to an earlier version. If you know of a recording program other than Audacity that works with Catalina, please let me know.

Bummer Russ! I don't know anything about Apple stuff, but I would think that a recording program like Audacity should come along at some point. But, I did Google for something, and this link came up. https://www.nch.com.au/software/soundrec.html?kw=sound%20recorder%20for%20imac&gclid=CjwKCAjw0vTtBRBREiwA3URt7nKs08IUATX3nUVt7BODkxZ4H1Tuv_DfMLdqepwO8eIKJR7oyjvgEhoCQDMQAvD_BwE I don't know if it is free, but it might be something to look into. I can wait to unclaim you from your chapters, to give you a chance to check it out.
Ann

mikedfather

Post by mikedfather » November 7th, 2019, 8:38 am

Hello,
I saw your post and thought that I could help somehow.
My name is Miguel Rabsatt, I use a free professional grade open source DAW
it's called REAPER it's totally free I've been using it for over 7yrs: REAPER.ORG
the community is HUGE with plenty of youtube tutorials.

Sorry for interjecting....

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 7th, 2019, 9:23 pm

No, it's fine with me that you injected into this conversation about Russ' problems with his OS change and Audacity! I will PM him and see if this will help him. He is one of my favorite contributors, and I don't want to see him sidelined because of this. Thank you for your help!
Ann

Shasta

Post by Shasta » November 10th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Well, here I am again. Believe it or not, I have succeeded getting Audacity to work again. I won't go into many details but just say it is necessary to read the iMac "Preferences" microphone messages literally. After doing the "workaround" when you check the Audacity box in Preferences>Privacy>Microphone is says "Audacity will not have access to your microphone until it is quit." So I "quit" Audacity and then booted it up again and it started working. So just to prove it, here is Chapter 00.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/noquarter_00_reid_128kb.mp3 Time: 33:47
Russ Bruno

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 10th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Shasta wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 6:25 pm
Well, here I am again. Believe it or not, I have succeeded getting Audacity to work again. I won't go into many details but just say it is necessary to read the iMac "Preferences" microphone messages literally. After doing the "workaround" when you check the Audacity box in Preferences>Privacy>Microphone is says "Audacity will not have access to your microphone until it is quit." So I "quit" Audacity and then booted it up again and it started working. So just to prove it, here is Chapter 00.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/noquarter_00_reid_128kb.mp3 Time: 33:47

:clap: That's awesome! Thanks Russ!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Section 0 is PL OK!
Ann

katboopla

Post by katboopla » November 21st, 2019, 4:03 pm

Hi, sorry i don't think i can record sections 8 & 9 without mispronouncing the words lols
you can give the sections to someone else
:9:

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 21st, 2019, 4:17 pm

katboopla wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 4:03 pm
Hi, sorry i don't think i can record sections 8 & 9 without mispronouncing the words lols
you can give the sections to someone else

OK, that's fine! Thank you for trying, and for letting me know!
Ann

Shasta

Post by Shasta » November 23rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Here are chapters 01, 04, 05 and 06

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/noquarter_01_reid_128kb.mp3 Time: 16:11
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/noquarter_04_reid_128kb.mp3 Time: 15:55
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/noquarter_05_reid_128kb.mp3 Time: 13:42
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/noquarter_06_reid_128kb.mp3 Time: 11:48

I may volunteer for additional chapters but I want to check them first because, like another reader, I am not comfortable pronouncing french words. The only other language I have ever studied is German.
Russ Bruno