COMPLETE [SHORT STORIES] Stories and Pictures by I. L. Peretz; translated by Helena Frank (1872-1954 - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Horner94 wrote: June 10th, 2019, 10:38 am Hello,
Please review audio recording for Section 7: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_07_peretz_128kb.mp3 Time: 04:24
By the way, I am from Northern Ireland, but I am presently recording in Benidorm, Spain. Are there restrictions to copyright law?
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
I think that in Spain this text would not be PD. MaryAnn, do you have something to add?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Chad and Elsie,

We each need to follow the copyright laws where we are - which means if Chad is in Europe, he needs to follow those rules, so this text is not PD for him to read until 2024.

Sorry about that Chad.

MaryAnn
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: June 11th, 2019, 9:40 am Chad and Elsie,

We each need to follow the copyright laws where we are - which means if Chad is in Europe, he needs to follow those rules, so this text is not PD for him to read until 2024.

Sorry about that Chad.

MaryAnn
Can you wait until I get back to the UK on Friday, and I will re-record it there and then? :D
Last edited by Horner94 on June 11th, 2019, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Sorry about that Chad.

MaryAnn
Okay - that’s what I thought. Thank you for clearing that up :thumbs:
Last edited by elsieselwyn on June 11th, 2019, 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Horner94 wrote: June 11th, 2019, 9:42 am

Sorry about that Chad.

MaryAnn
Can you wait until I get back to the UK on Friday, and I will re-record it there? :D
Is it PD in Ireland/the UK? I’m American so I’m not totally clear what the copyright rules are but doesn’t the UK follow 70+ years after the author’s death? If so, it would not be PD since the translator died in 1954.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Yes I just checked - Wikipedia says that UK does not make something public domain until 70+ years after their death. So here the translator’s death would be too late for it to be PD for you Chad. Super sorry!
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello.
I would like sections:
6, 19, 46-57 (on Hannah)
and 60 + 61, please.
~Angelique
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

BurgundyGrace wrote: June 12th, 2019, 10:02 pm Hello.
I would like sections:
6, 19, 46-57 (on Hannah)
and 60 + 61, please.
Thank you for all the claims!
MaraBella

Post by MaraBella »

Hi, Elsie and MaryAnn! I have a question about footnotes.

This work is full of them, and most of them are clarifications of cultural significance that can be inferred (for example - and you can click on the number to see the text they apply to - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#FNanchor_15_15 Tate means father; can easily discern this from context), and some are arguably inferrable but would also be easy enough to simply read in the text (for example: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#Footnote_16_16 "calling up" has quotes around it that are hard to express vocally, and just saying "calling up the bridegroom in Shool to the reading of the law" instead seems feasible).

And then, for example, in "What is the Soul?" (section 9), there is a section where the character sings in what I assume is Yiddish (here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#Footnote_30_30), and another character says something in Polish (here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#Footnote_31_31). It's especially the latter that I'm concerned with, as I don't think it's at all inferrable from context.

Should I use my judgement and translate in an aside, where I think necessary, or would you like to give me specific guidelines for what to do one way or another? Thank you so much!
- Mara

CC of any kind, from any source, is welcome and encouraged. I am brand new to this and hardly know what I am doing, but I'm very eager to learn!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Could I do sections 1 and 2 please?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

MaraBella wrote: June 15th, 2019, 8:00 pm Hi, Elsie and MaryAnn! I have a question about footnotes.

This work is full of them, and most of them are clarifications of cultural significance that can be inferred (for example - and you can click on the number to see the text they apply to - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#FNanchor_15_15 Tate means father; can easily discern this from context), and some are arguably inferrable but would also be easy enough to simply read in the text (for example: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#Footnote_16_16 "calling up" has quotes around it that are hard to express vocally, and just saying "calling up the bridegroom in Shool to the reading of the law" instead seems feasible).

And then, for example, in "What is the Soul?" (section 9), there is a section where the character sings in what I assume is Yiddish (here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#Footnote_30_30), and another character says something in Polish (here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37242/37242-h/37242-h.htm#Footnote_31_31). It's especially the latter that I'm concerned with, as I don't think it's at all inferrable from context.

Should I use my judgement and translate in an aside, where I think necessary, or would you like to give me specific guidelines for what to do one way or another? Thank you so much!
I would just have you trust your judgement on what to include. If you want to, you can distinguish the footnotes from the text by saying “footnote” “end footnote”.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

ColleenMc wrote: June 16th, 2019, 6:54 am Could I do sections 1 and 2 please?

Colleen
All yours
MaraBella

Post by MaraBella »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 16th, 2019, 8:20 am I would just have you trust your judgement on what to include. If you want to, you can distinguish the footnotes from the text by saying “footnote” “end footnote”.
Awesome! I will do that - distinguishing that way is brilliant.

Thanks!
- Mara

CC of any kind, from any source, is welcome and encouraged. I am brand new to this and hardly know what I am doing, but I'm very eager to learn!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MaraBella wrote: June 15th, 2019, 8:00 pm Should I use my judgement and translate in an aside, where I think necessary, or would you like to give me specific guidelines for what to do one way or another? Thank you so much!
Mara,

If you include a footnote, the standard way to to that is as Elsie has indicated, say "footnote", read the footnote, and then say "end footnote."

Do not add any translations of your own. If the footnote contains something that's in another language, either leave it out, or read it as is. We don't add anything to what the author has written.

MaryAnn
MaraBella

Post by MaraBella »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: June 16th, 2019, 2:45 pmMara,

If you include a footnote, the standard way to to that is as Elsie has indicated, say "footnote", read the footnote, and then say "end footnote."

Do not add any translations of your own. If the footnote contains something that's in another language, either leave it out, or read it as is. We don't add anything to what the author has written.

MaryAnn
Great! This is really good to know for the future, that this is the standard way of doing footnotes. Thanks to both you and Elsie for the info!

And don't worry - the footnotes I want to include are English translations, of Yiddish and Polish phrases in the text. :thumbs: That's why I think they're important. The rule of not adding or changing anything in the text is one even a newbie like me has learned to never break! *nods seriously*
- Mara