COMPLETE [CHILD FIC] T. Tembarom by Frances Hodgson Burnett-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

PL notes for chapter 20

3:52 There is a stumble/repeat at the beginning of 'though even the country in England was at this time by no means wholly ignorant of American slang' There is also a stumble on 'by no means....'

6:14 in the sentence 'Look at T. T. as he was half strangling in the blizzard up at Harlem and thanking his stars little Munsberg didn't kick him out of his confectionery store less than a year ago!' there is a stumble/repeat around 'thanking his little stars'

11:24 in the sentence 'Julius and Jem and the hall bedroom and the tilted chairs and cloud of smoke she saw so often that she felt at home with them.' there is a stumble/repeat at 'she saw so often'

20:00 There is a stumble/repeat at 'But haven't we had a fine time'

20:36 stumble/repeat on '“I have so enjoyed it.”'

please add 'end of chapter twenty' at the end :)
JoMarch2021

Post by JoMarch2021 »

just to make sure: when you do PL fixing stuff, if I have to add something in-do you have any tips for how to seamlessly add another clip into the already existing one without it being obvious? My first chapter didn´t recquire PL fixes, and I wondered if there was any advice you could send my way? Thanks! I will fix the mistakes as soon as possible :)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jo,

It's best to record in the same place both times. You really need to be in the same environment with the same equipment because even if there is no background noise outside, every room has it's own character, amount of reverb, etc. (And like right now, sitting in my house on a very quiet evening, I can hear the traffic from a 4 lane road a couple of blocks away ... )

I will listen to the phrase/sentence before the fix several times, saying it with the recording and trying to match my voice to what I hear. That gets me in the vocal "mood" I was in last time I recorded. Then I record the fix for that spot and paste it in right away ... then listen back and see how it flows.

I've also had better luck if the fix is just a bit quieter than phrases around it. Not to be noticeable, but you don't want it to stick out as louder, so better to err on the side of just a bit softer. To get to that, I select the fix and then use Effect | Amplify and adjust by +1 or -1 at a time (CTRL-R will repeat what you just did in Audacity, so I use that to notch it up or down in steps of 1). Once the peaks get about the same as the text around, then go down one more and you'll be just a bit quieter.

Hope this helps.

MaryAnn
JoMarch2021

Post by JoMarch2021 »

Thanks!
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Chapter 21 PL notes

8:05 Repeat/stumble in the sentence 'Unmarried women over thirty-five would speak of her as though they had been in the nursery together.'

13:31 A stumble before 'with throat strained and her fierce young face thrown back and upward.' is repeated

14:29 'as if' before 'as it would have been if he had been a beetle.' can be removed

17:33 'and the sudden sight of her momentarily “rattled” him.' is repeated
JoMarch2021

Post by JoMarch2021 »

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

chapter 22 pl notes

The opening silence is a little long at 2 seconds. I would cut it down to 0.5-1 second :)

2.:05 stumble/repeat of the sentence 'she had not the resources she might have called upon if he had been a gentleman. '

11:43 should be 'how far her temper might have carried her.' but i heard 'how far her temple might have carried her.

13:09 There is a large 'lip smack' which should be removed

13:14 Stumble/repeat in the sentence ' and Palliser's slightly lifted eyebrow seeming to express a good deal,'

There is 7 seconds of ending silence. This should be cut down to 5 seconds :)
JoMarch2021

Post by JoMarch2021 »

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Thank you :D Chapter 20 is now PL OK :D
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Chapter 40 is pl ok :D
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Jo, could you upload again using the correct file name, please? :D

Also, do you prefer to be called Jo or Taylor on the forum? I just discovered that Jo isn't your name from PLing :lol:
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

ashleighjane wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:49 pm Chapter 29 PL Notes

File name needs to be changed to ttembarom_29_burnett_128kb

9:07 In the phrase 'pride be damned' the word 'damned' has been cut out. It isn't librivox policy to censor profanities

12:12 'His hair became thoughtful' should be ' His air became thoughtful'

14:11 'with no one in it but these first savage fellows it'd always belonged to' Here you say 'with no one on it' before correcting yourself. 'on it' needs to be removed.

19:48 in 'he admitted that William of Normandy had “got in some good work' the end of normandy has been cut off and the silence between 'normandy' and 'had got in...' is too long

19:57 in '“He was a big man,” he ended.' the word 'ended' has been split into two words

24:18 There is a stumble in the sentence ' the way she looked back at me made me see all of a sudden that it would be easier for her if I told her straight that she was mistaken.”'

24:29 -24:33 the silence here is too long

27:10 - 27:15 The silence is too long

27:18 onwards. There is about 30mins of silence at the end. There should only be five seconds of silence at the end of each recording
MaryAnn:

I don't think this reader is going to reappear to fix these. should i just fix the things I can and ignore anything that can't be fixed without re-recording. It seems a shame to orphan it
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ashleighjane wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:54 am MaryAnn:

I don't think this reader is going to reappear to fix these. should i just fix the things I can and ignore anything that can't be fixed without re-recording. It seems a shame to orphan it
Yes, that sounds fine to me.
MaryAnn
JoMarch2021

Post by JoMarch2021 »

ashleighjane wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:35 am

Also, do you prefer to be called Jo or Taylor on the forum? I just discovered that Jo isn't your name from PLing :lol:
yeah Jo March was just a reference to Little Women-since this forum is all about books I thought it would be cute, but I think it just ended up confusing people!:) Anywho, yes, that file name was an accident. By the end of tomorrow I will have changed the file name and PLed the last chapter. I know there is a shutdown tomorrow, so I guess I can send it the morning of the sixth? Sorry that this project wasn´t quite finished in march
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

JoMarch2021 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:30 pm
ashleighjane wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:35 am

yeah Jo March was just a reference to Little Women-since this forum is all about books I thought it would be cute, but I think it just ended up confusing people!:) Anywho, yes, that file name was an accident. By the end of tomorrow I will have changed the file name and PLed the last chapter. I know there is a shutdown tomorrow, so I guess I can send it the morning of the sixth? Sorry that this project wasn´t quite finished in march
There's no huge rush, we're still waiting for a couple of other chapters. We might not have finished in March but still made good progress!

I think i will contact readers about those later today as i believe it has been a month since those chapters were cordoned now. Im ready to get this project wrapped up lol