[Sci-Fi] Men Like Gods by H. G. Wells - kiki

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » June 29th, 2019, 7:19 pm

aaronblue342 wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 7:40 am
I'd like to read section 10. My name can be Aaron S. in the final catalog. Thanks.
Your In!

And we are fully subcribed. :clap:
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5504
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » June 30th, 2019, 5:56 am

Mowing to Readers Found! :clap:
And removing the current DPL, do I understand it right?

Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » June 30th, 2019, 7:06 am

Kikisaulite wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 5:56 am
Mowing to Readers Found! :clap:
And removing the current DPL, do I understand it right?

Kristine :)
Yes please remove her. Hopefully we will get one soon!
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

DanielGarcia
Posts: 11
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Post by DanielGarcia » July 8th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Alrighty, I think this thing is ready for a proof-listen!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/menlikegods_09_wells_128kb.mp3

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 8th, 2019, 8:19 pm

DanielGarcia wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Alrighty, I think this thing is ready for a proof-listen!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/menlikegods_09_wells_128kb.mp3
Congrats your first section is ready for PL!!

We don’t have a Dpl right now so I may be jumping in on that soon. Please make sure in the future to put the file length with the upload link.
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 8th, 2019, 11:43 pm

DanielGarcia wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Alrighty, I think this thing is ready for a proof-listen!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/menlikegods_09_wells_128kb.mp3
Great job PL OK!
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 8th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Real busy at the monument for releasing 11 back to whoever wants it. Don’t move us back to readers wanted I can record it if no one else can. However to anyone who wants it: enjoy!
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

silverquill
Posts: 10289
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » July 9th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Hi, guys!

Well, I would considering volunteering for PL, and even taking on Chapter 11. But only if the MW is brought up to standards. First, the file links are in the notes section instead of the Listen section. This really messes up the MW is several ways. I think it also causes problems for the MC when it comes to compiling the completed project.

The file times should be in the note section once the recording is up. It is usually best to have at least an estimated word count there, or at least a page count. I guess not too important at this point since all sections are claimed.

And, it would really, really be helpful to have the section numbers and names correspond with the chapters and names in the book. I can't tell what section number goes with what chapter. There is no Chapter 11.

It appears this work is divided into three books, the first with 8 chapters and two with 4 chapters each.

I would recommend that you have the title of each book read before the first chapter of each book.
The label the sections something like:

01 Book the First: Chapter 1 Mr. Barnstaple Takes a Holiday
11 Book the Second: Chapter 3 Mr. Barnstaple as a Traitor to Mankind

If you do this, you might also want to change the reading template for clarification.

If you want to add the Book titles, as suggested, that can be put on the Notes section for the three chapters in question, something like, Please read, "Book the Third: A Neophyte in Utopia"

Unfortunately, like a lot of Wells' writing, this is too narrator heavy to make a good DR.

Anyway, please just take these as friendly suggestions from an interested an supportive LibriVoxer who loves H.G. Wells and is thrilled to see some of his works coming into production!

~Larry

etcetera

KevinS
Posts: 2910
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 9th, 2019, 8:29 pm

I could share PL duties with silverquill---if he wishes it, and you all, too---but I don't understand what's going on. When I looked, the MW looked nearly empty.
E agora, José?

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 9th, 2019, 10:30 pm

KevinS wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 8:29 pm
I could share PL duties with silverquill---if he wishes it, and you all, too---but I don't understand what's going on. When I looked, the MW looked nearly empty.
Sure so we had assigned out all the chapter. I had one, then i realized I’m pretty full so if someone who’s doing multiple chapters wants it that’s fine. Our DPL left a few weeks ago due to family emergencies. And we have 2 sections turned in. Clear as mud?
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 9th, 2019, 10:31 pm

silverquill wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Hi, guys!

Well, I would considering volunteering for PL, and even taking on Chapter 11. But only if the MW is brought up to standards. First, the file links are in the notes section instead of the Listen section. This really messes up the MW is several ways. I think it also causes problems for the MC when it comes to compiling the completed project.

The file times should be in the note section once the recording is up. It is usually best to have at least an estimated word count there, or at least a page count. I guess not too important at this point since all sections are claimed.

And, it would really, really be helpful to have the section numbers and names correspond with the chapters and names in the book. I can't tell what section number goes with what chapter. There is no Chapter 11.

It appears this work is divided into three books, the first with 8 chapters and two with 4 chapters each.

I would recommend that you have the title of each book read before the first chapter of each book.
The label the sections something like:

01 Book the First: Chapter 1 Mr. Barnstaple Takes a Holiday
11 Book the Second: Chapter 3 Mr. Barnstaple as a Traitor to Mankind

If you do this, you might also want to change the reading template for clarification.

If you want to add the Book titles, as suggested, that can be put on the Notes section for the three chapters in question, something like, Please read, "Book the Third: A Neophyte in Utopia"

Unfortunately, like a lot of Wells' writing, this is too narrator heavy to make a good DR.

Anyway, please just take these as friendly suggestions from an interested an supportive LibriVoxer who loves H.G. Wells and is thrilled to see some of his works coming into production!

~Larry

etcetera
Thanks I fixed the mw. I think I’ll leave the chapters/actions alone. As we are mostly claimed I fell that it would just mess people us. I released sections 11 not chapter. That is a mistype on my end. If you want to DPL that would be very much appreciated.
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

aaronblue342
Posts: 10
Joined: June 27th, 2019, 8:55 am

Post by aaronblue342 » July 9th, 2019, 11:41 pm

cowguy02 wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 11:47 pm
Real busy at the monument for releasing 11 back to whoever wants it. Don’t move us back to readers wanted I can record it if no one else can. However to anyone who wants it: enjoy!
I'll take chapter 11, sort of liking this book so far :). i'd have it done in about 6 weeks.

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5504
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 10th, 2019, 12:43 am

Sorry for noticing this only now and thanks to Larry for drawing my attention to it.
This won't do the way it is now. There is no chapter 9 or chapter 10 in this book. There is Book I chapters 1 to 8; Book II Chapters 1 to 4; Book III chapters 1 to 4. This has to be shown in the MW, so that it shows up correctly in the catalog once we are finished.

The intro can remain as it is now with minimal corrections:
1) start with "Section[number] of Men Like Gods . This is a LibriVox..." This would correspond to the system you already have - numbering sections consecutively as they appear in the MW, from 1 to 18. Only with the distinction, that they are sections, not chapters.
2)At the end of intro, where the reader says "Men Like Gods , by H. G. Wells. [Chapter]" - here would the full book-chapter title go in and it will be much easier for readers (and much much less confusion) if those titles are correctly displayed in the MW.

This should be fixed now, before there are more sections done and the PLer will have to carefully check the intros-outros.

Please think of it this way - after all, this is a classic author and a great book, so we don't want to spoil it for future listeners by mixing up and making unintelligible which chapter comes where, right? :wink:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

cowguy02
Posts: 604
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 10th, 2019, 9:14 am

Kikisaulite wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 12:43 am
Sorry for noticing this only now and thanks to Larry for drawing my attention to it.
This won't do the way it is now. There is no chapter 9 or chapter 10 in this book. There is Book I chapters 1 to 8; Book II Chapters 1 to 4; Book III chapters 1 to 4. This has to be shown in the MW, so that it shows up correctly in the catalog once we are finished.

The intro can remain as it is now with minimal corrections:
1) start with "Section[number] of Men Like Gods . This is a LibriVox..." This would correspond to the system you already have - numbering sections consecutively as they appear in the MW, from 1 to 18. Only with the distinction, that they are sections, not chapters.
2)At the end of intro, where the reader says "Men Like Gods , by H. G. Wells. [Chapter]" - here would the full book-chapter title go in and it will be much easier for readers (and much much less confusion) if those titles are correctly displayed in the MW.

This should be fixed now, before there are more sections done and the PLer will have to carefully check the intros-outros.

Please think of it this way - after all, this is a classic author and a great book, so we don't want to spoil it for future listeners by mixing up and making unintelligible which chapter comes where, right? :wink:
I’ll get that done today :D
~Luke Castle
Limited wifi. Please bear with me until we get it fixed

My projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard Unprofessional Tales|DPL needed

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

aniroo
Posts: 985
Joined: June 5th, 2017, 5:51 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by aniroo » July 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I'll DPL if you are still looking.

aniroo
aniroo

Post Reply