[COMPLETE][Duet] The Holy Koran translated by Muhammad Habib Shakir - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: April 25th, 2019, 2:50 amIn Surah 47, there is a mistake in Gutenberg in verse 3. You'll see that the translation of Shakir is different from others. And I double checked the Arabic and it's incorrect. Do you know how can I upload an image here?
I'm not really sure I understand correctly. What is wrong ? The English translation ? Well, usually we have to read what the author wrote, even if he made a mistake. Is it a small mistake, like a typo, then we can usually correct it, because it's probably just an error. But if the entire sentence is different, then maybe it was the author's interpretation and then we are not allowed to edit or censure it. Unless you find another copy where it's different, then we can probably blame Gutenberg that they made a mistake in the transcription.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I checked the line in question, and this is indeed repeated in Surah 5, Verse 5. So I guess it's an error in Gutenberg. Unfortunately, then we don't know what the original line of the author was :? We need to find a scan for that.

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Yes, the English translation. I think it's a typo.

Gutenberg:
That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, and have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage, not fornicating nor taking them for paramours in secret; and whoever denies faith, his work indeed is of no account, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.

On app on my cellphone:
That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, while those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus does Allah set forth their parables for mankind.

Bold are different parts. The one from my cellphone is closer to the Arabic words.

And it's similar to the translations by others:
047.003 Y: This because those who reject Allah follow vanities, while those who believe follow the Truth from their Lord: Thus does Allah set forth for men their lessons by similitudes.

P: That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood and because those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus Allah coineth their similitudes for mankind.

I wanted to upload an image with the Arabic and the correct translation.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: April 25th, 2019, 3:16 amOn app on my cellphone:
That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, while those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus does Allah set forth their parables for mankind.

Bold are different parts. The one from my cellphone is closer to the Arabic words.
what source text is the app from ? Also the same author ? :hmm:

For the image upload, it's best if you save it onto your google drive and then just paste the link here, then I can see it.

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: April 25th, 2019, 3:19 am what source text is the app from ? Also the same author ? :hmm:

For the image upload, it's best if you save it onto your google drive and then just paste the link here, then I can see it.

Sonia
The source text is from the same author. The app has a version of the same three translations on Gutenberg. The app is called iQuran.

And here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GnO4dJoWT7LhwnsCb0IBpIUZF7fl4_hp/view?usp=sharing
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: April 25th, 2019, 3:38 amThe source text is from the same author. The app has a version of the same three translations on Gutenberg. The app is called iQuran.

And here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GnO4dJoWT7LhwnsCb0IBpIUZF7fl4_hp/view?usp=sharing
yes I think seeing that the same sentence is repeated in Surah 5, I think that it was a Gutenberg error, a wrong copy/paste ;) I think in this case we can safely take the other version. Good thing you noticed. :thumbs:

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: April 25th, 2019, 3:44 am yes I think seeing that the same sentence is repeated in Surah 5, I think that it was a Gutenberg error, a wrong copy/paste ;) I think in this case we can safely take the other version. Good thing you noticed. :thumbs:

Sonia
Thanks so much!!! You. Are. The. Best. :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: April 25th, 2019, 2:50 amSurahs 22, 27, and 47 are ready for PL
and all three are PL ok. :thumbs: I am PLing for the moment, because Sandra is really very busy right now.

Nice readings again, Mona. Oh I see these were your last sections ! Great job. And now over to Sarah.

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: April 25th, 2019, 4:03 am and all three are PL ok. :thumbs: I am PLing for the moment, because Sandra is really very busy right now.

Nice readings again, Mona. Oh I see these were your last sections ! Great job. And now over to Sarah.

Sonia
We can't thank you enough. :9: :9: :9: My mum is very happy to know you and Sandra. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: April 25th, 2019, 4:08 amWe can't thank you enough. :9: :9: :9: My mum is very happy to know you and Sandra. :D
thank you :)

And I find it so cool that you and your mom share the same hobby. :thumbs:

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: April 25th, 2019, 4:10 am thank you :)

And I find it so cool that you and your mom share the same hobby. :thumbs:

Sonia
You're most welcome. Me too! :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey,

Surahs 14 and 23 are ready for PL.

Have a great day! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: April 27th, 2019, 9:16 amSurahs 14 and 23 are ready for PL.
Mona, Sarah, I had a bit of time right now, so I gave them a listen and both are PL ok again. :thumbs: I was happy to hear your voice again, Sarah :) it's been a while.

Have a good start in the new week

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: April 29th, 2019, 6:10 am Mona, Sarah, I had a bit of time right now, so I gave them a listen and both are PL ok again. :thumbs: I was happy to hear your voice again, Sarah :) it's been a while.

Have a good start in the new week

Sonia
Hey Sonia,

Thanks so much! My mum can't thank you enough for all you and Sandra did for us. Yes, it's good to be recording again. Hopefully, I've improved. :)

Surahs 24 and 37 are ready for PL.

Have a great day. :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 1:38 amSurahs 24 and 37 are ready for PL.
I had some time now so I quickly checked both :)

Mona: your section 37 is already PL ok. :thumbs:

Sarah: for your section 24 I found one word which I think is wrong, although it's a small thing and maybe I didn't hear it too well. You can check it out if you want to correct it:

> at 9:24: (24/33): “in order to seek the frail good of this world's life” – I hear something like “freasure” which is not a word :hmm:

Also something else, which you don't need to correct this time, but you said you wanted pronunciation tips: the word "grievous" does not have an 'i' in the final syllable. You kept saying "grievious". No need to correct it in all these places, that's why I didn't write down the time stamps, just maybe you want to remember for next time. :)

Sonia