[FULL]World's Story 6: Russia, Austria-Hungary, Balkan States, Turkey - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I would like section 58 please.
How John Sobieski saved Vienna from the Turks

And if someone could tell me how to properly pronouce "L'lle-Adam" I'd also like Section 94.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: February 24th, 2019, 8:43 am I would like section 58 please.

And if someone could tell me how to properly pronouce "L'lle-Adam" I'd also like Section 94.
thank you so much, great to have you read for this installment as well :9:

for pronounciation, it would sound like you would say in English "leal" (rhyming with "wheel") and "adam" with a nasalized "a" at the end, so not really sounding the 'm' at all. I think you may know how I mean. Or do you wish me to do you a soundfile ?

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Kitty wrote: February 24th, 2019, 8:53 am
realisticspeakers wrote: February 24th, 2019, 8:43 am I would like section 58 please.

thank you so much, great to have you read for this installment as well :9:

for pronounciation, it would sound like you would say in English "leal" (rhyming with "wheel") and "adam" with a nasalized "a" at the end, so not really sounding the 'm' at all. I think you may know how I mean. Or do you wish me to do you a soundfile ?

Sonia
nope I got it! Thanks.

Also, Section 98 The last of the Janizaries (1826), by Maurus Jókai, please!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: February 24th, 2019, 8:59 am nope I got it! Thanks.

Also, Section 98 The last of the Janizaries (1826), by Maurus Jókai, please!
super, thanks again ! Looking forward to your sections

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 3:45 pmHello Sonia,
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume06_026_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 15:37
April
hi April and sorry for the long delay this time, but this weekend was overwhelming. Your section is totally PL ok and very action-packed :shock: And kudos to the feat of tackling all these rather difficult Polish names. :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 5:35 pmHere is 13. Ah, the Kremlin! (But no mention of a Trump Tower, alas.)
:lol: the Kremlin must be impressive to look at. And I have seen pictures of St. Basil's Church, it really looks like out of a fairy tale.

excellent chapter again, and PL ok as well. Thank you so much and sorry again for the delay. Catching up slowly here.

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Disclaimer:
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: February 24th, 2019, 9:56 am
adr6090 wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 3:45 pmHello Sonia,
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume06_026_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 15:37
April
hi April and sorry for the long delay this time, but this weekend was overwhelming. Your section is totally PL ok and very action-packed :shock: And kudos to the feat of tackling all these rather difficult Polish names. :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
Thank you so very much for the pl okay and the kudos as well.
I evidently had the most trouble with the letter "p" in my opinion, had to re record 24 phrases where that darn letter was over pronounced.
Finally felt it was postable and I do so enjoy your comments.
:clap: :thumbs: :D
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

already :shock: thank you, that was fast. I definitely won't be able to PL tonight, but will surely do it tomorrow.

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Disclaimer:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phew, I didn't think I would manage today, but I did it. I listened to your three sections and they were an absolute pleasure to listen to. Even though Napoleon's sections were quite gruesome, especially the final one at Beresina. :? What a waste of human life this whole campaign was. Compared to that, Czar Peter's St Petersburg sounds like paradise.

Sections 17 and 22 are already PL ok.

One small note for Section 21:

> at 8:04: (p. 125) stumble and repeat "and indeed, the Kremlin and about a fifth part of he city were alone saved" - "and about" can be cut once

thank you for these, Colleen :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. No apologies necessary. :thumbs:
techpsalti

Post by techpsalti »

Kitty wrote: February 20th, 2019, 3:00 am
Fond memories as I can exactly picture where the author was standing. I watched the Neva and the island in the middle of it at a similar spot on my trip to St Petersburg. :9: That was in summer though, so I didn't see any horse racing on the river.

Thank you Daniel for this wonderful first section :clap: you are really a very gifted storyteller, because you narrated it all very vividly and it's a pleasure to listen to. Well paced, well articulated, all perfect to understand and the local colouring with the Russian pronunciations is an added bonus.

Already I'm looking forward to another of your recordings. 8-)
Thank you for taking the time to write all of this, very encouraging :D
Kitty wrote: February 20th, 2019, 3:00 am Did you do a lot of noise-cleanning? If so, maybe the numbers you used were a bit aggressive, the sound is slighty echoey.
I did two passes of noise cleaning. Once to target some general background noise, secondly to target some of my louder breaths.

When I listened on the machine I originally recorded this on, I did not hear what you're referring to. But now that I re-listen to it on a different machine, boy, do I hear the echo effect you're referring to! :cry: Makes me want to re-record it, to be honest, but for now I'll try to get the title sorted out, such that it sounds somewhat consistent.

I recorded this using a USB Yeti microphone (set to cardioid mode) with Audacity, no other software or noise-canceling tools were active, that I'm aware of. So I must have been too aggressive with Audacity's noise cleaning; I'll be much more careful next time.

Thanks again for the wonderfully worded and helpful feedback, Sonia!

-Daniel
~~ Life's too short to drink bad coffee. ~~
techpsalti

Post by techpsalti »

Sonia -- I have just uploaded a new version of section 43 with the title corrected to include the year.

It's a fairly noticeable edit, I apologize. I'm happy to re-record the whole reading, but it will take some time as I'm getting ready to travel for work.

-Daniel
~~ Life's too short to drink bad coffee. ~~
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for both sections :) an interesting and entertaining listen. This Austrian emperor really didn't have people's skills :lol:

both sections absolutely PL ok. Thanks so much !

Sonia