[COMPLETE] The Tempest by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 17th, 2019, 12:37 am Before I go to bed, I've cobbled together 2.2 for PL. I wanted to edit a Caliban/Stephano/Trinculo scene, and fortunately it sounds great! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tempest_2_2.mp3
indeed, all perfectly PL ok. Thanks Tomas !

On to editing my scene...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here is Scene 3.3.:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tempest_3_3.mp3
Recording time: 9:42 min.

I only cut out two stage directions here, Antonion and Sebastian were talking aside and I only left the narrator at the first mention of aside, I think for the rest of the speech we know that they are talking aside. Then the flow is better

> at 1:16: cut out the second Antonio, aside to Sebastian
> at 1:29: also cut out second Sebastian aside to Antonio

If all is well, Tomas, you could paste the 3 scenes into the finished act, and do last minute adjustments, and then I'll have a final listen to it.

I'll go grab Scene 2.1. as well, but I hope someone else will offer for Act 4.
I also re-arranged the MW a bit, so it looks neater ;)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phew, Scene 2.1. was long and a lot of interaction. But here it its, and Act 2 can also be fully groomed and assembled. :9:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tempest_2_1.mp3
Recording time: 22:06 min.

In retrospect, I think we could have been mocking Gonzalo even a bit more. But it somehow works well that Antonio is so extremely cynical and dry while Sebastian is more chuckling and silly. Two extreme opposites set on the same goal.

Now I need a break.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Sonia! You were very productive while I was in Dreamland. :P I will begin finalizing Acts 2 and 3 when I get home. Can't believe we're already so close to finishing. :shock:
Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2019, 5:26 am In retrospect, I think we could have been mocking Gonzalo even a bit more. But it somehow works well that Antonio is so extremely cynical and dry while Sebastian is more chuckling and silly. Two extreme opposites set on the same goal.
Perhaps, but it's very hard to "play off" characters in separate recordings. On the stage, you are speaking and reacting directly to the other performances, while here you have to guess how the other performances will go. I mean, I guess you can listen to someone's file while recording and say your lines in their pauses. I've never done that, though. :hmm:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:37 amOn the stage, you are speaking and reacting directly to the other performances, while here you have to guess how the other performances will go. I mean, I guess you can listen to someone's file while recording and say your lines in their pauses. I've never done that, though. :hmm:
No me neither, I think that would be very complicated too. Anyway, because I am PLing so many stage plays, I can already make good guesses on how people will do their roles. :lol: So this helps me a lot picturing my dialogue partner already in my mind when I record.

Just had a listen to Act 3 and it's totally PL ok. Sounds cool !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Act 2 is finalized and ready for PL. :)

I tightened up some of 2.1, because I feel the conversation is supposed to be a bit of a jumble, with Antonio and Sebastian purposely interrupting and speaking over Gonzalo. Everything else was perfectly edited. :thumbs:

Two more acts left!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 18th, 2019, 5:52 pm I tightened up some of 2.1, because I feel the conversation is supposed to be a bit of a jumble, with Antonio and Sebastian purposely interrupting and speaking over Gonzalo.
wow this was a very good idea. The first scene is really quick-paced now, and eventhe jokes and mockeries seem much better now. :thumbs: Totally well done. A highly entertaining half hour.

PL ok.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I was just loading the files to edit 5_1 when I discovered something is wrong. The "Craig as Gonzalo" file in the MW comes up as "tempest_trinculo_5_1" and the "Craig as Trinculo" file comes up as "tempest_trinculo_5_1 (1)." In short, there are two Trinculo files and no Gonzalo. I don't know how that happened, especially since I'm sure there was a PL of his speeches.

I'll leave gaps for the Gonzalo speeches until this is corrected.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I also just noticed a minor mistake on my part. In Prospero's second speech I reversed two words, though the meaning is the same. I said "When I first raised the tempest," when it should have been, "When first I raised the tempest." I could correct this easily, of course, but I wasn't sure if I should do so after it has already been PL'ed.

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hamlet wrote: January 20th, 2019, 10:26 am I also just noticed a minor mistake on my part. In Prospero's second speech I reversed two words, though the meaning is the same. I said "When I first raised the tempest," when it should have been, "When first I raised the tempest." I could correct this easily, of course, but I wasn't sure if I should do so after it has already been PL'ed.
Making the correction is perfectly fine, Brad. We may not be looking for word-perfect results, but if we can get it close to the text, that would be ideal.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: January 20th, 2019, 10:09 am I was just loading the files to edit 5_1 when I discovered something is wrong. The "Craig as Gonzalo" file in the MW comes up as "tempest_trinculo_5_1" and the "Craig as Trinculo" file comes up as "tempest_trinculo_5_1 (1)." In short, there are two Trinculo files and no Gonzalo. I don't know how that happened, especially since I'm sure there was a PL of his speeches.
sorry Brad, that was my mistake in updating the MW. I copied the wrong link for Craig's files. I corrected it now in the MW, if you download Craig as Gonzalo, you'll get the correct soundfile.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Ah, okay. And I just noticed another minor mistake but in Alonso's first line. "Whether thou be'st he or NOT" instead of "no." Again, very minor, so I'll just ignore it.

Thanks for correcting the Gonzalo file.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I'm almost finished the Act Five editing and I have one final question. In Craig's narration, he says "End of Act Five, End of The Tempest by William Shakespeare," and THEN he adds "Epilogue spoken by Prospero." Should not the latter be first?

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hamlet wrote: January 20th, 2019, 3:13 pm I'm almost finished the Act Five editing and I have one final question. In Craig's narration, he says "End of Act Five, End of The Tempest by William Shakespeare," and THEN he adds "Epilogue spoken by Prospero." Should not the latter be first?
Yes, it should be. The end disclaimer should only come after the epilogue is spoken. Good catch!
Tomas Peter
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Okay, here's Act Five. Running time: 25:48

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tempest_5_shakespeare_128kb.mp3

Brad