[COMPLETE]World's Story 5: Italy, France, Spain, Portugal - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:33 pmHere is my final section claimed for this thread and I have enjoyed recording the sections that I did claim. :thumbs:
wow, April, this was a very shocking chapter. I knew already about the famous earthquake of Lisbon. In fact on my holiday trip there a few years ago, we visited the site of this convent, where you still can see the level of destruction and some memorial plaques. When you stand there and you realize how far high up on a hill you actually are, it gives you a shudder to think that the tsunami even reached there. :help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmo_Convent_(Lisbon)

I'm lucky I don't live in an earthquake zone.

The section is flawlessly narrated :thumbs: and it was interesting to listen to. PL ok.

Thank you so much for all your commitment here. And I'll see you in the next book !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:clap: for the pl okay
:thumbs: fantastic that you were able to see Lisbon
:wink: wonderful link to the convent & yes, I am also happy that you do not live in an earthquake prone area.
:oops: thank you for the compliment of how wonderfully this section was narrated.
:wink: yes, I will choose and read sections in the next book, where will we travel to?
April

[q1uote=Kitty post_id=1544568 I love youtime=1547633082 user_id=71232]
adr6090 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:33 pmHere is my final section claimed for this thread and I have enjoyed recording the sections that I did claim. :thumbs:
wow, April, this was a very shocking chapter. I knew already about the famous earthquake of Lisbon. In fact on my holiday trip there a few years ago, we visited the site of this convent, where you still can see the level of destruction and some memorial plaques. When you stand there and you realize how far high up on a hill you actually are, it gives you a shudder to think that the tsunami even reached there. :help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmo_Convent_(Lisbon)

I'm lucky I don't live in an earthquake zone.

The section is flawlessly narrated :thumbs: and it was interesting to listen to. PL ok.

Thank you so much for all your commitment here. And I'll see you in the next book !

Sonia
[/quote]
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Kitty wrote: January 16th, 2019, 2:31 am
ColleenMc wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:26 amSections 55 and 57:
thanks Colleen, an interesting section on Cellini and the poem on Henry of Navarre was really great. This immediately reminded me of his famous quote that we learnt in our French and History lessons at school: "Ralliez-vous à mon panache blanc". This sentence also got mentioned in the text and I was chuffed to see it.

Section 55 is already PL ok.

One PL note for 57:

> at 1:32: (p. 237) stumble and repeat: “For cold and stiff and still are they who wrought they walls annoy” – I loved the little exasperated “ooh” at the end ;) cute blooper - the whole sentence can be cut out once

Thank you !

Sonia

Ha! I missed one of them. I stumbled over that damn “wrought the worlds annoy” five or six times before I got it, and even then had to stitch together a couple of versions to get the whole sentence. Not surprised I missed one. I’ll fix it!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_057_tappan_128kb.mp3

Section 57, corrected version. Time is now 5:23

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: January 16th, 2019, 9:52 amHa! I missed one of them. I stumbled over that damn “wrought the worlds annoy” five or six times before I got it, and even then had to stitch together a couple of versions to get the whole sentence. Not surprised I missed one. I’ll fix it!
hehe, yes, the sigh somehow told me this was not the first time you read the sentence. I sometimes get that as well, a word or two that simply won't come out. And especially annoying is, when you finally get it right, the phone starts ringing :evil:

Section 57 is now PL ok. Thanks ! And I hope I see you in the next book too :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: January 16th, 2019, 7:30 amyes, I will choose and read sections in the next book, where will we travel to?
we'll leave the sunny climate of the south and travel to the far north and the east of Europe: it will be Russia and Poland, Austria-Hungary (back when it was all one big empire) and again down south to the Balkans and Turkey. These sections are all so interesting to me because I did a lot of travels there as well, so I'll probably find some chapters which will be familiar to me there too.

As this projet is nearing completion (only 17 sections left to record !!!) I think I will launch in a week or two, probably around the beginning of February. I'll post the link here when the new project is open.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
The next book ,with where it will be, does sound compelling & I am definately looking forward to choosing & reading sections with that one. :)
April
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 13 - Pope Boniface

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_013_tappan_128kb.mp3

Just to show I have not forgotten these altogether.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 18th, 2019, 11:01 am Section 13 - Pope Boniface
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_013_tappan_128kb.mp3
Just to show I have not forgotten these altogether.
I wasn't afraid you'd forgotten them, Alan. Great job again, flawless reading. Now I wonder what Boniface died of so suddenly :hmm: it smells of assassination, if you ask me.

PL ok, thanks !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:58 am Section 21 - time 2:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_021_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you, Alan, for bumping this again. I was already worried where you all had drifted off. I am eager to launch the next book, but want to wait a bit till a few more sections are done.

The Galileo painting is perfectly narrated :thumbs: and totally PL ok. I love the bit of doggedness you out into your voice when you say "eppure si muove". Speaking in Galileo character here certainly ;)

Thanks !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 29 - time 3:02

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_029_tappan_128kb.mp3

The trouble is that Todd has started so many interesting plays that he is distracting us all!
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 28th, 2019, 10:26 amSection 29 - time 3:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_029_tappan_128kb.mp3
The trouble is that Todd has started so many interesting plays that he is distracting us all!
:lol: yes there are quite a few interesting plays in the pool right now.

Still, thank you for the next section. Cool to see all these famous artists on the same painting. Raphael looks a bit like a spoilt brat :mrgreen: Flawless reading again, PL ok.

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here's one of mine.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_026_tappan_128kb.mp3
19:29

I had to stop and look up Italian names again and again while recording this one, but it was worth it. I've always been fascinated by da Vinci. I'm glad I had the opportunity to read this one. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 28th, 2019, 12:43 pm I had to stop and look up Italian names again and again while recording this one, but it was worth it. I've always been fascinated by da Vinci. I'm glad I had the opportunity to read this one. :)
oh you could have asked me for a soundfile of the names, it would have been faster for you :( but the good news is, your research paid off, you pronounced them all beautifully :9: and the whole section is indeed fascinating to listen to. Never knew the head of Christ was unfinished, or are we talking about another Last Supper here ? :hmm:

It's PL ok. Thank you so much.

Sonia