[COMPLETE]From Ritual to Romance by Jessie L. Weston-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

thank you thank you. Im loving it so much but was a bit despairing yesterday afternoon...Im really bad a maths and when I look at all those numbers my mind freaks out. I'll go look for a pop filter today. Do you maybe think I should turn my input volume down a bit. You can tell me when you've had a chance to listen.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:35 pmAll I need from you is confirmation that you do indeed want Sonia to record the non-English portions, rather than reading them yourself. If so, I will insert those myself, too. But I don't want to ask her to record them until I know for sure that that's what you want.
I'm a bit confused by all the goings-on here...still willing to read any parts that are required, but could you please let me know exactly which text I need to read. I don't want to do too much (or too little).

I need the exact chapter and preferably the first and last line of what is missing, so I can record that.

Also whether my voice now will be inserted or the reader will copy my pronunciation. This will change the way how I will record then.

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Sonia. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you in the dark. I do have a list of the exact quotes I will need for chapter 2. I meant to post them last night, but got distracted by my Aladdin project! :lol:

I will get that to you soon. And I believe that we'll be inserting your voice for chapter 2, not copying your pronunciation.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: May 20th, 2021, 2:17 am
mightyfelix wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:35 pmAll I need from you is confirmation that you do indeed want Sonia to record the non-English portions, rather than reading them yourself. If so, I will insert those myself, too. But I don't want to ask her to record them until I know for sure that that's what you want.
I'm a bit confused by all the goings-on here...still willing to read any parts that are required, but could you please let me know exactly which text I need to read. I don't want to do too much (or too little).

I need the exact chapter and preferably the first and last line of what is missing, so I can record that.

Also whether my voice now will be inserted or the reader will copy my pronunciation. This will change the way how I will record then.

Sonia
Ok, here are the portions we need, copied from the Gutenberg text, for chapter 2:
"Se tu eusses demandé quel'en on faisoit, que li rois ton aiol fust gariz de l'enfermetez qu'il a, et fust revenu en sa juventé." **When the question has been asked:** "Le rois péschéor estoit gariz et tot muez de sa nature." "Li rois peschiére estoit mués de se nature et estoit garis de se maladie, et estoit sains comme pissons."

"Car se tu demandé l'eusses
Li rice roi qui moult s'esmaie
Fust or tost garis de sa plaie
Et si tenist sa tière en pais
Dont il n'en tenra point jamais,"

"Dames en perdront lor maris,
Tiéres en seront essiliés,
Et pucielles desconselliés
Orfenes, veves, en remanront
Et maint chevalier en morront."

"Une grans dolors est avenue an terre novelement par un jeune chevalier qui fu herbergiez an l'ostel au riche roi Peschéor, si aparut à lui li saintimes Graaus, et la lance de quoi li fiers seigne par la poignte; ne demanda de quoi ce servoit, ou dont ce venoit, et por ce qu'il ne demanda sont toutes les terres comméues an guerre, ne chevalier n'ancontre autre au forest qu'il ne li core sus, et ocie s'il peut." "Li Roi Pecheors de qui est grant dolors, quar il est cheüz en une douleureuse langour—ceste langour li est venue par celui qui se heberga an son ostel, à qui li seintimes Graaus s'aparut, por ce que cil ne vost demander de qu'il an servoit, toutes les terres an furent comméues en gerre." "Je suis cheüz an langour dès cele oure que li chevaliers se herberga çoianz dont vous avez oï parler; par un soule parole que il déloia a dire me vint ceste langour."

"Iuch solt' iur wirt erbarmet hân,
An dem Got wunder hât getân,
Und het gevrâget sîner nôt,
Ir lebet, und sît an saelden tôt."
"Dô der trûrege vischaere
Saz âne fröude und âne trôst
War umb' iren niht siufzens hât erlôst."

"Swaz der Frânzoys heizet flô'rî'
Der glast kom sinem velle bî,
Parzival's schoen' was nu ein wint;
Und Absalôn Dâvîdes kint,
Von Askalûn Vergulaht
Und al den schoene was geslaht,
Und des man Gahmurete jach
Dô man'n in zogen sach
Ze Kanvoleis sô wünneclîch,
Ir dechéines schoen' was der gelîch,
Die Anfortas ûz siecheit truoc.
Got noch künste kan genuoc."

"Es rains et desous l'afola
De coi grant dolor endura."

"Sa tierre ert a ce jour nommée
Lorgres, ch'est verités prouvée,
Lorgres est uns nons de dolour
Nommés en larmes et en plours,
Bien doit iestre en dolour nommés
Car on n'i seme pois ne blés
Ne enfes d'omme n'i nasqui
Ne puchielle n'i ot mari,
Ne arbres fueille n'i porta
Ne nus prés n'i raverdïa,
Ne nus oysiaus n'i ot naon
Ne se n'i ot beste faon,
Tant que li rois fu mehaigniés
Et qu'il fu fors de ses pechiés,
Car Jesu-Crist fourment pesa
Qu'à la mescréant habita."
From this, I believe that Dawn wants to use your voice in this chapter:
Happiness1 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 4:21 am Thank you so much Devorah. Im absolutely fine with someone else reading the french and german bits in, whatever makes it sound best.
You'll notice that there is a bit of English that I copy/pasted above. That is because that English portion is missing from Dawn's file. (I didn't mention it before, but perhaps I should have.) Since it's sandwiched in between two bits of French, I think she must have missed it. The simplest solution might be to have you read it along with the French, and then I can drop that whole chunk into place. But it might sound a bit off that way, I don't know. I'm fine either way, so I think it's up to what you and she want to do.

What do you think, Dawn?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Devorah and Dawn, so I gave it a shot and recorded the bits in Old French and Old German that you copied me in your previous post. I noticed there was a lot of paraphrasing the same story in different ways...I guess it's variants in the different old texts.

Anyway, I noticed that Old French is easier for me to understand than Old German :lol: But I gave it my best to remember all the pronunciation rules I learnt at university (arguably many years ago :mrgreen: )

Devorah, I inserted a 2 second pause between the parts that I think you wanted to insert in different parts of the text. I hope it's all comprehensible and you can find out what belongs where.

If you wish I can do the spot PL on that chapter after you insert the parts.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/fromritualtoromance_02_sonia_weston_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:48 min.

This was challenging, but fun.

Sonia
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Thank you so much Devorah and Sonia for helping me get this completed. Im actually quite proud and I thought you were going to chuck it out for poor quality. Meanwhile, I got a filter over my speaker and it's like a different speaker DUH! I should have done that in the first place. :hmm:

So, whats next? :clap:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ooh, a new pop filter for your mic? That's awesome, equipment upgrades are exciting!

I am working today and will be at a festival all day tomorrow. But I still hope to work on these at some point this weekend. Stay tuned!

As far as what's next, Dawn, that's up to you! If you'd like to take yet another chapter in this book, you're welcome to. Or if you'd like to take it easy for awhile and work on an easier text, that's also totally fine. The beauty of LibriVox is that every reader is free to choose what kinds of books they want to read. If you want to stick with this book, just tell me what chapter you want next. If not, check out any of the Readers Wanted forums to find something else that strikes your fancy. :D
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi there. Nope, Im on board with this now and Im excited tht Im starting to actually contribute something meaningful and even more excited that my filter works and my test piece sounded miles better. Let me see wht chapters are still open.
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Hi there. Nope, Im on board with this now and Im excited tht Im starting to actually contribute something meaningful and even more excited that my filter works and my test piece sounded miles better. Let me see wht chapters are still open. Ok, Chapter 9, The Fisher King...that looks open. If you're good with that, I'll start on that one. again, Im going to leave the French and German to Sonia. I can sometimes cope with the german, Im actually of direct dutch descent and understand the german but Im defn not a german speaker. :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: May 21st, 2021, 10:23 am Hi there. Nope, Im on board with this now and Im excited tht Im starting to actually contribute something meaningful and even more excited that my filter works and my test piece sounded miles better. Let me see wht chapters are still open. Ok, Chapter 9, The Fisher King...that looks open. If you're good with that, I'll start on that one. again, Im going to leave the French and German to Sonia. I can sometimes cope with the german, Im actually of direct dutch descent and understand the german but Im defn not a german speaker. :thumbs:
Thanks, you're in! I'll get going on the final touches for chapter 2.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: May 21st, 2021, 4:28 am Devorah and Dawn, so I gave it a shot and recorded the bits in Old French and Old German that you copied me in your previous post. I noticed there was a lot of paraphrasing the same story in different ways...I guess it's variants in the different old texts.

Anyway, I noticed that Old French is easier for me to understand than Old German :lol: But I gave it my best to remember all the pronunciation rules I learnt at university (arguably many years ago :mrgreen: )

Devorah, I inserted a 2 second pause between the parts that I think you wanted to insert in different parts of the text. I hope it's all comprehensible and you can find out what belongs where.

If you wish I can do the spot PL on that chapter after you insert the parts.
Thank you, Sonia! This is ready for Spot PL. Below are the time stamps for each insertion:
5:14 "Se tu eusses demandé quel'en on faisoit ... et estoit sains comme pissons."

6:55 "Car se tu demandé l'eusses ... Dont il n'en tenra point jamais,"

7:14 "Dames en perdront lor maris ... Et maint chevalier en morront."

7:51 "Une grans dolors est avenue ... dire me vint ceste langour."

12:25 "Iuch solt' iur wirt erbarmet hân, ... War umb' iren niht siufzens hât erlôst."

13:29 "Swaz der Frânzoys heizet flô'rî' ... Got noch künste kan genuoc."

19:02 "Es rains et desous l'afola
De coi grant dolor endura."

19:15 "Sa tierre ert a ce jour nommée ... Qu'à la mescréant habita."
I was thinking also, and meant to suggest it earlier, that we could include a little voice credit from you if you wish: "French and German portions read by Sonia," or something of that nature. But it's up to you. If you want a voice credit, I'll happily insert it. If not, we can leave it as is.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Happiness1 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:52 am Right, TARA!!.... https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/fromritualtoromance_14_weston_128kb.mp3 37.59 minutes. Recorded on Audacity 3 on pc using Microsoft 10.

Here it finally is. I've looked at dozens of videos trying to fix the plosives and odd bumps and Im sorry but I cannot get it right. I devoted my whole afternoon to it but the videos and versions of audacity vary and its very confusing trying to put the two together. Im happy to redo any sections and if you tell me how to fix the plosives and bumps but it passed the checker and I think I managed to get the volume equal throughout. I also think I must get a filter for my mic so that the plosives are less and I seem to speak very loudly althought I've set my mic higher than my mouth :) . comments welcome.
Very nice job with this chapter, Dawn. I didn't notice many bad plosives or any distracting thumps and bumps, so whatever you are doing seems to be working! :thumbs: I have a few notes for you to address, but only a few. For a chapter of this length, that is very impressive!

21:33-21:35 I did hear a significant drop in volume here: "... occurs in the Tristan of Heinrich..."
22:03 There is a rather alarming squeaking or scratching noise of some sort under your words that startled me. I don't know if you'll be able to simply cut that. You may need to re-record the sentence. It is somewhere in: "... Professor Singer makes the interesting suggestion that these references..."
37:50 Since this is the last chapter of the book, we need to include the following: "End of From Ritual to Romance, by Jessie Laidlay Weston." You do restate the title here, but the "end of" as well as the author are missing.
37:59 We need 5 seconds of silence at the end.

The easiest way to address notes like this is often to start at the end and work your way up through the list. That way, your time stamps will stay the same and it's easier to find each spot. (Although that may not matter as much with this section, since you aren't really adding or deleting very much.)

Please make those few changes and then upload your chapter with the same exact file name: fromritualtoromance_14_weston_128kb That way, the new chapter will take the place of the old one in the MW. Also be sure to provide the new run time when you upload. :D
Happiness1

Post by Happiness1 »

Thank you, YAY!! I'll make those changes hopefully today and get it back to you. Im so excited that my first project is almost done.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: May 25th, 2021, 7:33 pmThank you, Sonia! This is ready for Spot PL. Below are the time stamps for each insertion:
thank you for the time stamps, this made the Spot PL much easier. I'll mark it PL ok now :)

As for voice credit, I don't really need to be included in the audio. If in the end I'm doing a lot in this project in other sections, maybe one could mention it in a sentence in the blurb, but I'm not insisting, it's not that important to me. It's as you wish.

Sonia
vostar

Post by vostar »

I am interested in reading section 11 The Secret of the Grail (2)
The Naassene Document

Thank you!