[COMPLETE] World's Best Poetry, Vol. 9 (Part I) - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The World's Best Poetry, Volume 9: Tragedy and Humor (Part 1) by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-worlds-best-poetry-volume-9-tragedy-and-humor-part-1-by-various/
The ninth of ten volumes of poetry edited by Canadian poet laureate Bliss Carman (1861-1929). This collection, the first of two parts, includes a trove of famous tragic poems set in different regions of the world, including Greece, Rome, the Orient, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Russia, Scotland, Ireland, England, America, and the sea. It ends off with a selection of mischievous poems about women and their proclivities. The collection also includes an introductory essay by folklore scholar Francis Barton Gummere (1855-1919). ( Tomas Peter)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43223
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: special --- please ensure that all intros/outros are consistent with the templates below, and that all files have end silences that do not exceed 5 seconds.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "[Poem] by [author], from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 9: Tragedy and Humor, Part I. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

If the poem has been translated from another language, say:
    • "[Poem title] by [original author], translated from the [original language] by [translator]; from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 9: Tragedy and Humor, Part I. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

END of recording
    • At the end of a poem, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition): "End of The World's Best Poetry, Volume 9: Tragedy and Humor, Part I."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording

Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worldsbestpoetryvolume9_1_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. worldsbestpoetryvolume9_1_01_various_128kb.mp3 )

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah, it's happening. I will give you the MW immediately, stay tuned !!!

Meanwhile, you can send out the PM with the link to the project to our 4 co-readers and DPL, while I'm doing this. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here we are, you can start filling out the MW :) I think you missed two or three sections :hmm: By my count it's 57 sections including the intro.

Now I bet everyone is already curious what poems will fall in their laps. :lol:

I hope everybody is happy with the selection. For the drama roles, let's wait till Tomas has put up the sign-up sheet.

I'll move us over to Readers found immediately, no point in hanging out here.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Okay, so the first part of the process is done. The MW is all filled. Now I will start linking Google Docs...
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

So, after a lot of hard work, the MW is ready and claiming for DRs can begin. If you're selecting roles, you can do so here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aYNS3Ax9t4811sv0RTw3mROncFIG0qGUDqOCZhAc_RA/edit

I chose my 22 roles, but I'm willing to negotiate if someone desperately wants one (or more) of them. Otherwise, Sonia will distribute the roles to everyone else tomorrow. I also give her the task to finish populating the MW. I think I've had enough for tonight. :lol:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Here are already your solo assignments and the 2 compulsory big ones, so if you wish you can start on those already. I hope you are all happy with them. :)

> Craig

4. Lucius Junius Brutus over the Body of Lucretia
8. Narrator in The Slaying of Sohrab
31. Revelry of the Dying
43. The Women Fo’k (sorry, I gave you the tricky dialect again)
54. Narrator in The Proud Miss MacBride

> Foon

13. Othello’s Remorse
18. The Prisoner of Chillon
19. Before Sedan
20. Loukeria in Ivàn Ivànovitch

> Leanne

12. Narrator in Countess Laura
28. Mother in Rizpah
32. The Drummer-Boy's Burial
37. The Three Fishers
45. Women's Chorus

> Tomas

7. The Sack of the City
8. Sohrab in The Slaying of Sohrab
44. Of a Certaine Man
49. The Belle of the Ball
52. Harry in “Nothing to Wear”

> Jason

6. Mark Antony in Mark Antony, over the Body of Cæsar
15. Fra Giacomo
36. On the Loss of the Royal George
47. Sorrows of Werther
56. How Paddy Got “Under Government”

> Sonia

9. Khamsin
20. Narrator in Ivàn Ivànovitch
24. The Sack of Baltimore
26. Narrator in The Young Gray Head
42. Woman

I already started assigning a few DRs, but will wait a bit for Foon to have a look at the list and choose some as well.

The final decision will be ready this afternoon

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, Foon has selected her roles and I have assigned all the others. No more meddling in the sign-up sheet now please, I will proceed to update the MW and then you can all find out who's going to read what.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phew...after some last-minute changes, the MW is finally set. 8-)

Now let the fun begin. Enjoy your poems/roles. Recording officially starts now. :mrgreen:

Sonia
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Hey guys. Just checking in.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks for finishing up, Sonia. :D Can't wait to get started!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

afutterer wrote: September 20th, 2018, 6:37 am Hey guys. Just checking in.
welcome Anthony :) You may have checked out the MW already and seen that we have 6 readers for this project. Foon is joining the group, so you'll hear a new voice (or maybe not new since you probably encountered her in other projects before)

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Ooooh I think I'm first in :D

Here's one of my solo poems (19):
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldsbestpoetryvolume9_1_19_various_128kb.mp3 1:51

I'm really hyped about this project :mrgreen:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: September 20th, 2018, 9:10 am Ooooh I think I'm first in :D

I'm really hyped about this project :mrgreen:
great, thanks for getting the ball rolling. I'm afraid I can't record anything before the weekend.

And we all know how you feel. Some of us have had this hype through 6 previous books already. :9:

Sonia
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

And we are on our way!

Sections - 7, 19, 44, 49

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks Anthony ! When did Tomas sneakily put in his poems ? :hmm:

I have recorded some poems too and will edit over the weekend.

Sonia