COMPLETE The Tale of Muley Cow by Arthur Scott Bailey - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 6

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/thetaleofthemuleycow_06_bailey_128kb.mp3 Time: 4:46.5

Would it be ok for the intro to do the abbreviated intro, i.e. "This recording is in the public domain." and omit the rest as that will have been done for Chapter One? That's what was suggested and what I did in Venus Boy.
Russ Bruno
Lam83

Post by Lam83 »

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to save my file in Audacity so I can come back to it and edit? I have no problem exporting, but where can I simply save the recording IN Audacity?

Thanks in advance!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi!

I just save them the same way - I export them as MP3's.

I often record many poems or short chapters this way and save each the same way they need to be saved as they are uploaded. Then i go back in and edit them and fix the volume etc and then replace the file by exporting it or i save it to a different directory.

I hope that helps!

Lynda
Lam83

Post by Lam83 »

It does, thank you!
Felicity12

Post by Felicity12 »

Hey,
Would it be OK if I read 16 Clover Tops, 17 No Help from Spot, 18 One Apple Too Many, and 19 A Question of Luck?
Thanks,
Felicity :D
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Shasta wrote: September 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm Here is Chapter 6

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/thetaleofthemuleycow_06_bailey_128kb.mp3 Time: 4:46.5

Would it be ok for the intro to do the abbreviated intro, i.e. "This recording is in the public domain." and omit the rest as that will have been done for Chapter One? That's what was suggested and what I did in Venus Boy.
The abbreviated intro is used when recording a solo or when recording poems is my understanding. Please record as specified so that all the books and chapters will be the same.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Felicity12 wrote: September 7th, 2018, 4:15 pm Hey,
Would it be OK if I read 16 Clover Tops, 17 No Help from Spot, 18 One Apple Too Many, and 19 A Question of Luck?
Thanks,
Felicity :D
Absolutely! They are all yours! Welcome to the project!

Lynda
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thanks for clarification re the intro. Venus Boy was, in fact, a solo. I did the longer intro for Chapter 6 and will continue doing so for the rest of my chapters.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I am curious about the advice you gave, above, about editing. Is there some benefit to saving and then editing as opposed to simply editing before saving, which is what I have always done plus then running the saved file past MP3Gain Express and Checker before uploading it?
Russ Bruno
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Shasta wrote: September 7th, 2018, 6:58 pm I am curious about the advice you gave, above, about editing. Is there some benefit to saving and then editing as opposed to simply editing before saving, which is what I have always done plus then running the saved file past MP3Gain Express and Checker before uploading it?
Russ - I have a finite amount of time when I am alone and it is quiet in my apartment. So I record in the morning and save all my files at that time. Then I can edit my recordings when I have time regardless of whether my husband is home or not and the sound level around me.

Yes, I sometimes do record and then edit however experience has taught me to always save after doing a recording, just in case when I am editing or working on volume levels I make a mistake - I can then go back to the original recording. I actually record, save, edit, save and then run it through Checker and do any volume adjustments/noise cleaning at that time and then save. I have done some really long recordings (7000 words) and I just do not feel comfortable without saving before editing.

That is how I do it however I do know of another reader, who actually when recording long passages, edits as he goes along. I have tried that method too however I prefer just to record (which when I am recording if I say something incorrect, I just say the correct way right after or repeat a sentence or whatever) and then edit my mistakes out leaving the corrected spoken words that I already recorded. If I do find something that I did record incorrectly and did not catch then I re-record the words in a separate window and copy/paste them over the incorrect words. Then after fixing the whole recording I save, run it through Checker and then do the volume/noise fixing.

I hope that clarifies what I actually do vs. my specific answer to the question. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything for you - I am here to help!

Lynda
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Readers Found! :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Lam83

Post by Lam83 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/taleofmuleycow_14_bailey_128kb.mp3

Lynda,
Here is my first completed chapter. Please let me know if there are issues or you need more info. I'm a newbie. :D
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for the clarification about recording/editing sequences. What you do and advised makes perfect sense in your particular situation and maybe in the case of your advisee. In my case, where I record is virtually totally quiet except for the annoying sound of the computer fan and that I deal with when I edit. I don't think I would ever have the stamina to record 7000 words except perhaps with some breaks and hope no one messes things up or there is a power outage in my absence.

I note that icequeen is the MC for this project but that you are doing the communicating with readers. I have been curious about the Librivox hierarchy and responsibility assignment system. Could you briefly clarify about that? Would you be a Deputy MC?

Russ
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can answer this question for you, Russ. This project is technically not mine, it belongs to Lynda. She set up the project as a group project and I am only here to set up the MW and catalog the project. Sometimes I put out small fires, but that is extremely rare. The reason my forum name is in the subject line is the let people know which folder to upload their files to. That is it! Lynda does all the heavy lifting, I just make it possible for her do that.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks Ann for answering while I was recording one of my LONG chapters :)

Lynda