[COMPLETE] Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

both PL ok now. I love the forceful Prologue, it really sounds like we're in the thick of battle :thumbs:

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: August 9th, 2018, 6:49 am So here is a start from me, getting all my shorties out of the way.
Thank you for these, Sonia. I must say, they were wonderful and definitely PL OK. Your lisp for Margarelon worked in my opinion, giving him an "ugly stepsister from Cinderella" air. And your soldier kind of sounded a little American? :shock: While the Myrmidon was certainly Scottish; well done there. Even if you don't have very many lines in the battle scenes, you manage to be very memorable anyway. :D
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 9th, 2018, 5:49 pmAnd your soldier kind of sounded a little American? :shock:
:lol: I didn't even notice that. Must have been unintentional. Thanks for the PL !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here are two more of the minor (but highly interesting) characters. Cassandra and Priam show up in the same scenes, so I took care to make them very different. While my Priam is more of an elderly dotard :mrgreen: I gave it my best to make Cassandra live up as much to her nutcase-prophetess reputation as I could. I had a hard time not to make the recording clip :lol: She was fun to play ! You almost see her eyes rolling wildly in her sockets.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cassandra_2_2.mp3
Recording time: 1:26 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cassandra_5_3.mp3
Recording time: 2:32 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_priam_2_2.mp3
Recording time: 1:08 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_priam_5_3.mp3
Recording time: 0:46 min.

Now I need a break from all the ravings :mrgreen:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

total change of character: here is Helen, which someone, who shall remain unnamed, called "a horny dimwit" :mrgreen: now I pictured her like a pouting Marilyn Monroe after that comment and did my best to give my voice that horny dimwitty quality. Not my favourite role, as you probably know, but I gave it my best. Luckily she was only in one act.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_helen_3_1.mp3
Recording time: 2:24 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

quick request:

Not counting the DP and the Prologue, there are 24 scenes to assemble. We are 4 people, so could we agree that each of us will sign up for 6 scenes ? I don't mind which ones you choose, just it would be cool if not just one person has to do them all.

Maybe it would be a good idea to "sign up" for them now already, so as soon as one scene has all the roles in, that person responsible can start immediately, without waiting for the others to claim the editing part.

If you're ok with that, please tell me which scenes you like to chaperone. I guess Tomas will want to do the ones with the "merging voices". I gladly wait and will take the remaining 6 (but please don't leave me with all the "monsters" :shock: )

Thanks

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Yeah, I can do the ones that require voice-merging. I'll put myself down for them now, I guess.

Maybe it'd be better if we can sign up for the longest scenes in advance, and then let the small scenes be assembled by whoever volunteers in the moment? Maybe everyone takes 2 long scenes apiece? I'll have to look and see what would constitute "long," but I know pretty much every act ends with a monster scene where almost the entire cast comes onstage.

EDIT: So the "long" scenes are:

Act 1, scene ii
Act 1, scene iii
Act 2, scene iii
Act 3, scene ii
Act 3, scene iii
Act 4, scene iv
Act 4, scene v
Act 5, scene ii

I'll take Act 4, scene v (the voice-merging) and Act 3, scene iii.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sonia, your latest performances are fantastic, especially Cassandra and Helen. :clap: They were just as I imagined them in my head: Cassandra the dramatic truth-teller who tries desperately to be heard, and Helen the lusty airhead. :lol: No errors in any file, so they can be marked PL OK.

That means you have your three main roles left. :shock: You could technically finish before the weekend ends at this pace, hehe.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 10th, 2018, 12:44 pmSonia, your latest performances are fantastic, especially Cassandra and Helen. :clap: They were just as I imagined them in my head: Cassandra the dramatic truth-teller who tries desperately to be heard, and Helen the lusty airhead. :lol:
thank you :9: I hope you could tell, I extremely enjoyed playing Cassandra. I love drama :lol:
That means you have your three main roles left. :shock: You could technically finish before the weekend ends at this pace, hehe.
haha, no way. I will probably not record over the weekend, my grandparents are coming to visit tomorrow. Also I need a bit more time for the three big ones, to find a suitable distinct voice and character. I probably keep Cressida till the last, she is the tricky one.

But I plan on recording more next week.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I'd like to edit Act One, scene three. I know it's just a bunch of men talking, but I've always loved the long speech by Ulysses on "degree." It was one of the reasons I was originally hoping to read that role. Beyond that, I'll edit any scenes assigned to me.

As for merging, I haven't recorded my Thersites speeches yet. But I've been trying to come up with the best voice. I've finally decided on one, and I think it would be more effective if I gave him a bizarre lingering laugh after some of his speeches. And I'm thinking that the next character can start speaking over the laugh if whoever happens to be editing the scenes agrees. I see Thersites as someone not quite human. lol

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 11th, 2018, 5:19 amI'd like to edit Act One, scene three.
thanks Brad, I'll assign this one to you then. :)

I will proceed to assign the remaining "monster" chapters then to you, Craig and me. I hope Craig is ok with the ones he will get.
As for merging, I haven't recorded my Thersites speeches yet. But I've been trying to come up with the best voice. I've finally decided on one, and I think it would be more effective if I gave him a bizarre lingering laugh after some of his speeches. And I'm thinking that the next character can start speaking over the laugh if whoever happens to be editing the scenes agrees. I see Thersites as someone not quite human. lol
LOL now I am exceedingly curious about this guy. :mrgreen: I'm sure, Tomas can merge a few laughs in between. I have the utmost confidence in his abilities there.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'll assign them like this now, hope you are all ok with this:

Act 1, scene ii - Craig
Act 1, scene iii - Brad
Act 2, scene iii - Sonia
Act 3, scene ii - Craig
Act 3, scene iii - Tomas
Act 4, scene iv - Brad
Act 4, scene v - Tomas
Act 5, scene ii - Sonia

I'll also choose my 4 other scenes already, that way I can start with those immediately as they get ready. I simply take the ones from the end of Act 5, apart from Scene X which is already claimed by Tomas.

Act 5, Scene VI
Act 5, Scene VII
Act 5, Scene VIII
Act 5, Scene IX

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I guess it's OK to have all the scenes assigned, as everyone can take their time with editing, anyway. We will not rush anyone.

I signed up for three more, and assigned Craig and Brad the rest of their sections, trying to give them an even spread throughout. I assigned the scene slots accordingly, as well, so that the reader catalog pages will reflect what everyone is now responsible for.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 11th, 2018, 11:10 amI guess it's OK to have all the scenes assigned, as everyone can take their time with editing, anyway. We will not rush anyone.

I signed up for three more, and assigned Craig and Brad the rest of their sections, trying to give them an even spread throughout. I assigned the scene slots accordingly, as well, so that the reader catalog pages will reflect what everyone is now responsible for.
yes that was a good idea.

In any case, when the time comes and one of us really doesn't have time to edit his scene, we can always switch then. That's what team-work is all about. It's just helpful to know now already which scenes we are theoretically responsible for, so if one of them gets read to edit, that person can immediately jump in without fear that the work will be done double by someone else. For me at least that is more comforting to know.

Sonia