[COMPLETE] Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 31st, 2018, 1:42 pmI've now linked up all of Ulysses' files. Sonia, this might take a while, because he is a talker. :lol: My approach was to give him that silver-tongued Machiavellian edge, because he is "the man behind the curtain" in a sense.
wow, you did him extremely well, Tomas. :thumbs: Deep down Ulysses is a big braggart and full of himself, and you let that shine through here very well. And you're right: he loves the sound of his own voice :lol: And for the kissing scene with Cressida, you well show the scorn in his voice. I think secretly he may be a bit mysoginistic, and the only woman he loves is Penelope. That's the reason why he takes care not to kiss Cressida, even though he egged all the others on to do it.

All scenes PL ok, apart from 3.3.:

> at 4:24: "desert in service" - I think he means "merit", not "sandy place", so the stress of the word "desert" is wrong here

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wonderful, both PL ok now and that gives you 4.1. ready to edit !
Just trying to Ajax under control for his next session.
:lol: I somehow love this loose cannon. Don't tame him too much.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: September 1st, 2018, 6:48 amI've got a very small recording area and bloody tight with Ajaz in here too!
I see, and you can't trust him alone with the microphone of course. He might eat it :lol:

Will PL soon, thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Listened to all of Ajax now. I had to smirk when Agamemnon called him "wise". He's hiding his wisdom well, could have fooled me :lol: He probably meant street-wise. I love his moments on the battlefield charging Troilus. He seems to be in his element there.

All scenes PL ok apart from 2:

Ajax 2.3.

> at 0:56: "as I do hate the engend’ring of toads" - did you do a doubling of "ring" on purpose to make him sound funny or is this an error ?

> at 1:54: "Would he were a Trojan!" - could you say "troyan" here again, please ?

Ajax: 4.5.

> at 0:28: "the Trojans trumpet" - also here: Troyans

thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this gives Brad another scene ready to edit. And one for me as well, as soon as I get your corrections for 2.3. :)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: September 1st, 2018, 1:53 am at 4:24: "desert in service" - I think he means "merit", not "sandy place", so the stress of the word "desert" is wrong here
Ugh, this word seems to be my Achilles' heel (hehe). This is not the first time I was tricked into pronouncing it like a sandy and barren wasteland rather than a sweet treat. I think it's because the latter is spelled "dessert" nowadays, whereas maybe the Elizabethans didn't differentiate that way? I have no idea.

Anyway, I can't fix the line until Monday or Tuesday, as I'm away from the mic this weekend. :( I'll get it in as soon as I get home.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: September 1st, 2018, 9:42 amUgh, this word seems to be my Achilles' heel (hehe). This is not the first time I was tricked into pronouncing it like a sandy and barren wasteland rather than a sweet treat. I think it's because the latter is spelled "dessert" nowadays, whereas maybe the Elizabethans didn't differentiate that way? I have no idea.
nope I didn't mean dessert, even though that is pronounced the same way. What is meant here is "merit", something you "deserve", hence "desert". wiktionary has it under Etymology 1: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/desert#Etymology_1

So the "desert" (merit), the "dessert" (cake) and "to desert" (from the army) are all pronounced the same way. But the "desert" (Sahara) is pronounced differently.

Confusing language :lol:

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

This makes total sense now LOL. I can't believe I wasn't made aware of this distinction sooner. :shock: It may be because the "desert as in merit" distinction is not used much anymore.

In any case, now I know how this is pronounced when I encounter it again. :lol: Thanks for the quick lesson, Sonia!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: September 1st, 2018, 12:36 pm This makes total sense now LOL. I can't believe I wasn't made aware of this distinction sooner. :shock: It may be because the "desert as in merit" distinction is not used much anymore.

In any case, now I know how this is pronounced when I encounter it again. :lol: Thanks for the quick lesson, Sonia!
:oops: sorry for sounding like a teacher :lol: Didn't want to come across like that.

But I'm happy the confusion is sorted out :)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: September 1st, 2018, 12:38 pm :oops: sorry for sounding like a teacher :lol: Didn't want to come across like that.
You didn't sound like one! I appreciate that you gave me some detailed clarification. :D That's what you do when you have the knowledge, hehe.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Ulysses 3.3 has been corrected and re-uploaded! :)

My recording time will be extremely limited for a good week and a half starting on Thursday, so I'm doubtful I can finish Troilus until later on in the month. This might be a good thing for you guys, as it will mean less editing for a bit. :P I hope that's not a problem.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: September 4th, 2018, 1:23 pm Ulysses 3.3 has been corrected and re-uploaded! :)
you got your desert right this time ;) PL ok

Have fun with the movie binging !

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. After getting home from vacation I ended up with longer working hours--but just temporarily while someone else is away, so I haven't had as much spare time. But I'm getting back to work on the project Saturday, including adding the line that I missed before, and getting some editing done.

Brad