[COMPLETE] Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 15th, 2018, 10:45 am Also, I listened to Aeneas and once more, it's all PL OK, Sonia. I enjoyed this take, as well. I always assumed he was a nice fellow, but with the gruffness of your voice he's much more intimidating LOL. It suits him, though, especially when he is delivering Hector's challenge to the Greeks.
thank you Tomas. Well, Aeneas is probably not only a "nice guy". Nice guys don't get as far as he got in history ;)

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Corrections made.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_antenor_5_10.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_diomedes_5_5.mp3

I have to admit, I'm not sure what Diomedes' "Ay, there, there" is referring to. He could be calling after Ajax, indicating which way Troilus went, but in the next scene, he briefly argues with Ajax about who gets to fight Troilus. And Nestor's response of "So, so we draw together" doesn't seem to go with it either.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 15th, 2018, 2:52 pmI have to admit, I'm not sure what Diomedes' "Ay, there, there" is referring to. He could be calling after Ajax, indicating which way Troilus went, but in the next scene, he briefly argues with Ajax about who gets to fight Troilus. And Nestor's response of "So, so we draw together" doesn't seem to go with it either.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes has trouble with getting Shakespeare's meaning. I also have that problem with some of Cressida's lines. I mean, I understand every word but in the end I still think "huh ? what does he mean ?". :hmm: So I do the best I can to put meaning into it :lol: Tomas, if you ever hear something you think I gave the wrong intonation or emphasis to, please let me know. Chances are I got the meaning wrong.

Brad, your two corrections are now PL ok. And with this I finalized the Dramatis Personae and named them with 0 in the file name. They are ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_0_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:16 min.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: August 16th, 2018, 1:39 am And with this I finalized the Dramatis Personae and named them with 0 in the file name. They are ready for PL.
Thanks, Sonia! All characters are there and in the right order, so this is PL OK. :)
Tomas Peter
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Kitty wrote: August 15th, 2018, 2:02 pm
wonderful performance, Craig. Never again say you can't sing !!! Now I know why Helena was swooning over the song. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure I trust your sincerity! :D

In Wales, to get the landlord to serve you a drink after closing time, we all learned a party piece; a song or a poem to recite, in the hope that we get a round of applause and a 'lock in' afor after time beer. Mine was either a team effort of 'With Someone Like You' as part of a quartet or 'My ding a ling' by Chuck Berry. You may be surprised to hear, that very rarely did we get a 'lock in'.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_pandarus_1_2.mp3 11:36
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: August 16th, 2018, 9:23 amI'm not sure I trust your sincerity! :D
hey, I would not say it if I didn't think it. So you may accuse me of bad taste, (if you can't believe you're good at singing), but not of insincerity ;)
In Wales, to get the landlord to serve you a drink after closing time, we all learned a party piece; a song or a poem to recite, in the hope that we get a round of applause and a 'lock in' afor after time beer. Mine was either a team effort of 'With Someone Like You' as part of a quartet or 'My ding a ling' by Chuck Berry. You may be surprised to hear, that very rarely did we get a 'lock in'.
:lol: maybe you only chose the wrong song ;) or you had a mean landlord

Pandarus 1.2. is now PL ok.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I spent the last two days on struggling with Cressida. Tomas, you were right, she is a difficult role. I had to ponder hard what way I wanted to go with her, and I hope you guys like what I came up with.

So, regardless what common critics apparently think, I cannot read in her lines that she is the cunning faithless lover. I see her much more as a victim of the Greeks. She is desperately trying to make the best to survive in this camp, so at times she is playing a sort of seductress (especially in the kissing scene), but I made it clear, she is not very good at it, and she is not comfortable in that role. She is no Helena. I made her a tragic heroine, she is suffering at the end, knowing she has to give in to Diomed.

Well...this is my take. I'm quite nervous what you will think. :? And I hope no one out there on the www will ever rile that I completely misunderstood the role. :|

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cressida_1_2.mp3
Recording time: 7:20 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cressida_3_2.mp3
Recording time: 4:40 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cressida_4_2.mp3
Recording time: 3:36 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cressida_4_4.mp3
Recording time: 2:05 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cressida_4_5.mp3
Recording time: 0:59 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_cressida_5_2.mp3
Recording time: 3:46 min.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

The Troilus and Cressida story, of course, did not originate at the time of the Greek myths. It was a medieval invention, though set during the Trojan War. Not only Shakespeare, but Chaucer and other writers did their own takes on the story.
One of them--written by Robert Henryson in the 15th Century has an interesting ending, a sort of sequel. Cressida contracts leprosy and becomes badly disfigured. With the other lepers, she is forced to beg for a living. One day Troilus gives her money, without recognizing her.

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: August 16th, 2018, 11:20 am Well...this is my take. I'm quite nervous what you will think. :? And I hope no one out there on the www will ever rile that I completely misunderstood the role. :|
No need to fear, Sonia! I listened to it all, and I think you did excellently. :D Maybe one of your very best Shakespearean performances to date? :9: I think you fully captured the contradictions and turmoils of Cressida's persona, who, in your interpretation, seems like a girl trying to grow up and become a mature woman, yet not fully knowing how. And then, when she is sent to the Greeks, she really can't grow because she is forced to satisfy the men around her in order to survive. :( She must play-act maturity without having the complete development, which does make her a tragic heroine. It's a better interpretation than the one that sees her as a calculating cheat, and I think listeners will appreciate your version much more. It also highlights the tragic aspects of the play, which would otherwise only rest on Hector's death. Having Cressida be a concubine against her will makes it all so much sadder (and scarier).

Cressida is all PL OK. And that means Sonia is the first one done recording. :clap: One big part of the project done; now you can focus solely on PLing our remaining parts, and editing your six allotted scenes. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 16th, 2018, 12:04 pmOne of them--written by Robert Henryson in the 15th Century has an interesting ending, a sort of sequel. Cressida contracts leprosy and becomes badly disfigured. With the other lepers, she is forced to beg for a living. One day Troilus gives her money, without recognizing her.
:shock: how awfully tragic and sad ! I really think history and the authors deal unfairly with her. :(

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: August 16th, 2018, 5:55 pmNo need to fear, Sonia! I listened to it all, and I think you did excellently. :D Maybe one of your very best Shakespearean performances to date? :9:
wow I didn't expect that, seriously. :oops: And it was one of the hardest roles I had to prepare for. But maybe it's the preparation and thoughts that went into it which paid off.
I think you fully captured the contradictions and turmoils of Cressida's persona, who, in your interpretation, seems like a girl trying to grow up and become a mature woman, yet not fully knowing how. And then, when she is sent to the Greeks, she really can't grow because she is forced to satisfy the men around her in order to survive. :( She must play-act maturity without having the complete development, which does make her a tragic heroine. It's a better interpretation than the one that sees her as a calculating cheat, and I think listeners will appreciate your version much more. It also highlights the tragic aspects of the play, which would otherwise only rest on Hector's death. Having Cressida be a concubine against her will makes it all so much sadder (and scarier).
yes you completely got my meaning. Great. At least it will be a novel approach then 8-) Maybe our version will inspire a different outlook on poor Cressida
Cressida is all PL OK. And that means Sonia is the first one done recording. :clap: One big part of the project done; now you can focus solely on PLing our remaining parts, and editing your six allotted scenes. :mrgreen:
yes that's great. And I see there is already one scene that can be edited. Craig, if you prefer to concentrate on your roles first, I can also swap with you for a later scene. Just let me know, then I'll edit this scene and you get one of my later ones, when you are a bit more advanced in your roles. I don't mind. :) But I'll wait until you tell me.

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hi Sonia
That's fine with me.
Cressida is great!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: August 17th, 2018, 1:23 am Hi Sonia
That's fine with me.
Cressida is great!
thanks :) ok, I'll swap two scenes (I gave you 5.2. then which is more to the end) and try to assemble this one today

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craig, I am currently editing together the scene 1.2. and I noticed a missing line for Pandarus.

"Nor his qualities."

Could you simply record it on a separate file, so I can use that line quickly from there ? Thanks :)

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Here is my first Agamemnon scene. I thought I'd better get an opinion of the voice. I see him as a leader who is weary of the whole thing and just wants to go home. But he also has to consider that it is a matter of honor--his duty as commander and king and the fact that Helen is his sister-in-law so it's a matter of family honor as well. And there is also the fact (although it's not mentioned in the play) that he had to sacrifice his daughter just to get a fair wind to get all his ships to Troy in the first place. (Yes, I have an interest in Greek mythology as well! lol)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_agamemnon_1_3.mp3

Brad