[Kids] The Chinese Kitten by Edna Adelaide Brown - lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
JayKitty76
Posts: 652
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » October 17th, 2018, 2:50 pm


Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14832
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 17th, 2018, 5:22 pm

bobb wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Lynnet wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:19 pm
bobb wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 7:11 pm
Here is chapter 6:


https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_06_brown_128kb.mp3

I ran it through Checker, and my daughter helped edit it (she is also on LibriVox). Thanks!
Thank you
How long is it please?
Running time is 09:26. Thanks!
:thumbs:
Help us finish:

The Star-Chamber 5 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14832
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 17th, 2018, 5:23 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:50 pm
Here's chapter 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_04_brown_128kb.mp3
Thank you.
How long is it please?
Help us finish:

The Star-Chamber 5 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

JayKitty76
Posts: 652
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » October 17th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Running time for Chapter 4 is 10:48.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14832
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 17th, 2018, 7:01 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 6:42 pm
Running time for Chapter 4 is 10:48.
:thumbs:
Help us finish:

The Star-Chamber 5 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

jenniferrd
Posts: 647
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » October 17th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Thanks all, I will get to these over the weekend.

jenniferrd
Posts: 647
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » October 18th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Chapter 6:
Please trim beginning to no more than 1 second, there is over 3 seconds currently.
:26 to :30 - please trim long pause between disclaimer and start of chapter. Long pauses can confuse listeners.
9:14 - 9:19 - please trim long pause between end of chapter and disclaimer. Long pauses can confuse listeners.

Hi Bobb! Nice reading! :D I wanted to give you some feedback in addition to the corrections above. There is a lot of background noises in your recording, nothing that causes a huge concern, but sounded like bumping the table or microphone, maybe a dog walking across the floor. It's a little distracting, but not something that is a major problem, but especially listening in headphones, you can really hear it. I would suggest running it the entire piece through noise removal and here is a link on how to do that: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert. You can also silence noise between talking if you need to by selecting the piece to silence and hitting the "Silence Audio" button (if you're using Audacity).

jenniferrd
Posts: 647
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » October 18th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Chapter 4 - PL OK!

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14832
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 19th, 2018, 3:54 am

Chapter 3
Hi Jaykitty
Jennifer asked me to listen to this file as she continues to have concerns.
First of all, the volume is now good, at 88.9dB :thumbs:

However, there is constant background noise. It sounds like you are recording in a room with other people around. It is really important that you find somewhere as quiet as possible and cut out all outside noises as far as possible. Many people go as far as recording in a closet, or hanging quilts or heavy curtains to deaden noise. Unfortunately, regular noise cleaning does not remove the background noise in your file. I was only able to clean it up by selecting 2 seconds of a noisy section (I took 0:22-0:24) and do 2 separate passes of noise cleaning. This is a lot of processing and has two undesired effects: it reduced the overall volume (although at 87.3dB it is still acceptable) ; and it makes your voice sound a bit 'tinny'. You can either replicate this process on your file or I'm afraid it will have to be re-recorded as it is not up to LV standards as it is. I would suggest trying the process and seeing what you think.
In case you're confused about noise cleaning, here is Phil's video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

As for the stumbles, etc., I'm afraid they are still there. I'd suggest working from the end backwards (if you start at the beginning, the times of later stumbles will be off and you may have trouble locating them). It's very easy to cut them out and it is the reader's responsibility to have a publishable file. Publishing a file with this many errors looks shoddy and reflects badly on you (and possibly Jennifer, as listeners will wonder why she didn't pick up the errors).
Here is Phil's Basic Editing 101 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be

Please don't be disheartened. The more practice you get, the better you will become at recording. There is a lot to learn at first and few of us realize it's not 'just reading' when we start out. I'd suggest you slow down a bit, and concentrate on doing each aspect to the best of your ability rather than taking on too much and having a lot of fixing to do 8-)
Help us finish:

The Star-Chamber 5 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

JayKitty76
Posts: 652
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » October 19th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Lynnet wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 3:54 am
Chapter 3
Hi Jaykitty
Jennifer asked me to listen to this file as she continues to have concerns.
First of all, the volume is now good, at 88.9dB :thumbs:

However, there is constant background noise. It sounds like you are recording in a room with other people around. It is really important that you find somewhere as quiet as possible and cut out all outside noises as far as possible. Many people go as far as recording in a closet, or hanging quilts or heavy curtains to deaden noise. Unfortunately, regular noise cleaning does not remove the background noise in your file. I was only able to clean it up by selecting 2 seconds of a noisy section (I took 0:22-0:24) and do 2 separate passes of noise cleaning. This is a lot of processing and has two undesired effects: it reduced the overall volume (although at 87.3dB it is still acceptable) ; and it makes your voice sound a bit 'tinny'. You can either replicate this process on your file or I'm afraid it will have to be re-recorded as it is not up to LV standards as it is. I would suggest trying the process and seeing what you think.
In case you're confused about noise cleaning, here is Phil's video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

As for the stumbles, etc., I'm afraid they are still there. I'd suggest working from the end backwards (if you start at the beginning, the times of later stumbles will be off and you may have trouble locating them). It's very easy to cut them out and it is the reader's responsibility to have a publishable file. Publishing a file with this many errors looks shoddy and reflects badly on you (and possibly Jennifer, as listeners will wonder why she didn't pick up the errors).
Here is Phil's Basic Editing 101 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be

Please don't be disheartened. The more practice you get, the better you will become at recording. There is a lot to learn at first and few of us realize it's not 'just reading' when we start out. I'd suggest you slow down a bit, and concentrate on doing each aspect to the best of your ability rather than taking on too much and having a lot of fixing to do 8-)
Hi Lynne,
I can rerecord the section, no problem. (But first I'll see if it's still salvageable.) Thank you for the PL notes. I am busy with a project currently, so may I request an extension for chapter 3? Thanks.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14832
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 19th, 2018, 12:52 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 12:06 pm
Hi Lynne,
I can rerecord the section, no problem. (But first I'll see if it's still salvageable.) Thank you for the PL notes. I am busy with a project currently, so may I request an extension for chapter 3? Thanks.
I have given you until the end of November.
In my view, the file is salvageable, but needs work. It is rare that we need to re-record. However, if you try what I suggested and hate the sound of your voice, it's your decision. (I had a file once where I thought I sounded like one of Dr. Who's daleks, so I get it :lol: )
Help us finish:

The Star-Chamber 5 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

jenniferrd
Posts: 647
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » October 19th, 2018, 1:31 pm

It's happened to us all. I had recorded a chapter for a book once, and I don't know what I did to it, but it sounded like I was talking through a tin can with static AND it was the wrong file format and I couldn't get it to change! I ended up rerecording it in the end, because I just couldn't save it. Lynnet - depending on the book, a voice sounding like a dalek might have been okay!! :lol:

As I told Lynnet, I just don't want to overwhelm and discourage you. You're a good reader. I think I can confidently speak for the majority of Librivox readers when I say that editing usually takes far more time than the actual recording. You really don't need to record in one go, we all make mistakes. Just take your time, make sure you're in a quite environment (I happen to have kids, occasional loud neighbors, and a very, very noisy HVAC system that I'm constantly fighting - so I get it), and take your time to really listen to the file and make corrections. Use headphones if you need to so you can hear what is going on and make sure you're happy with what you hear. Follow Phil's directions for editing, and your golden!

JayKitty76
Posts: 652
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » October 19th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Lynnet wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 12:52 pm
JayKitty76 wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 12:06 pm
Hi Lynne,
I can rerecord the section, no problem. (But first I'll see if it's still salvageable.) Thank you for the PL notes. I am busy with a project currently, so may I request an extension for chapter 3? Thanks.
I have given you until the end of November.
In my view, the file is salvageable, but needs work. It is rare that we need to re-record. However, if you try what I suggested and hate the sound of your voice, it's your decision. (I had a file once where I thought I sounded like one of Dr. Who's daleks, so I get it :lol: )
Okay, thank you Lynne. I'll see what I can do :D

JayKitty76
Posts: 652
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » October 19th, 2018, 2:05 pm

jenniferrd wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 1:31 pm
It's happened to us all. I had recorded a chapter for a book once, and I don't know what I did to it, but it sounded like I was talking through a tin can with static AND it was the wrong file format and I couldn't get it to change! I ended up rerecording it in the end, because I just couldn't save it. Lynnet - depending on the book, a voice sounding like a dalek might have been okay!! :lol:

As I told Lynnet, I just don't want to overwhelm and discourage you. You're a good reader. I think I can confidently speak for the majority of Librivox readers when I say that editing usually takes far more time than the actual recording. You really don't need to record in one go, we all make mistakes. Just take your time, make sure you're in a quite environment (I happen to have kids, occasional loud neighbors, and a very, very noisy HVAC system that I'm constantly fighting - so I get it), and take your time to really listen to the file and make corrections. Use headphones if you need to so you can hear what is going on and make sure you're happy with what you hear. Follow Phil's directions for editing, and your golden!
Yes, thank you Jenniferrd. I do use headphones (actually, a headset) that cancels noise, but when I recorded chapter 3 originally, I was using a lower-quality clip-on microphone that worked so-so. My new headset (which I used for chapter 4) is much better, and I always go back and relisten to everything I've recorded at least once, but, of course, I miss things sometimes. Thank you for your input.

bobb
Posts: 10
Joined: August 28th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Post by bobb » October 22nd, 2018, 2:59 pm

~bobb

Post Reply