[COMPLETE]The Tale of Jasper Jay by Arthur Scott Bailey - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

So I would say, if they can speak lively, so much the better. But don't overdo it on the artificially enhancing and overlaying sound effects. Let's say, imagine you 4 are sitting in front of a kindergarten class and doing a group reading, everything you can do with your voices on that day will be fine, but you would not bring your computer for that session and start overlaying coughs and such.
Right, I think I'm on the right track, then. I haven't applied any digital "effects" anywhere, and understand why that's risky business, if not outright outlawed for any number of reasons. The "overlay" is just her background reaction, at a low volume, behind my narration, which I think remains clear, but that's where an outside opinion is very useful. It's too easy to get tunnel vision about any little thing. I really appreciate the structure of librivox, which seems to embrace critical analysis. I invite it, and am not offended by it. I thought this would be a good way to measure the boundaries and know how to make the most excellent product. I'll lean heavily on Larry's input.

Ok, I see now that, since I'm solo, I can update the magic window myself. I'll give it a shot.
so if I understand you correctly, I should open their reader pages with twice the same name (eg macaine). I should not mention their real names. That's fine. We do as you wish. :) Just wanted to be clear.
Yeah... I think so... that kind of thing isn't especially unusual, right? And we could change it later for future books? But again, I'm not sure what you can and can't do before you get that snail-mail with my signature of consent for under-agers. Perhaps you can proceed just fine in parallel, and just need that on file eventually... I'll get around to posting it in the next day or two, on the next trip to town.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Yeah... I think so... that kind of thing isn't especially unusual, right? And we could change it later for future books?
changing the reader name is possible at a later stage, if in 10 years, they want to be known by their full name. Changing the user name is a bit more tricky. While technically it can be done, it would be too much work to link all the previous projects to the new name. So better make sure it's a username they feel comfortable with. Yours is pretty straightforward, you have this family feeling in your 4 usernames 8-) So I guess that won't be an issue.

And no it's not unusual, especially with minor-age kids, parents often don't want to use their full names online for protection
But again, I'm not sure what you can and can't do before you get that snail-mail with my signature of consent for under-agers. Perhaps you can proceed just fine in parallel, and just need that on file eventually... I'll get around to posting it in the next day or two, on the next trip to town.
I cannot open their reader page and I cannot put them in the MW without their accounts being opened. But that can be done later on, as soon as all the paperwork is in. As long as it's done before the project is finished ;)

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

you now should have access to the Magic Window, so you can put the link in there and mark the section "Ready for PL". Let me know if you need help with that.
Maybe I do need help with this. If it's the right place to look, https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window indicates that I might need to use a second/separate login? I tried just logging out and then back in, but I don't think I see this "LibriVox Management Dashboard" -- perhaps I've a little to learn here.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jmcaine wrote: June 5th, 2018, 12:38 am Maybe I do need help with this. If it's the right place to look, https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window indicates that I might need to use a second/separate login? I tried just logging out and then back in, but I don't think I see this "LibriVox Management Dashboard" -- perhaps I've a little to learn here.
did you click on the link "BC Admin" right underneath the Magic Window ?

What does it say then ?

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Kitty wrote: June 5th, 2018, 12:42 am did you click on the link "BC Admin" right underneath the Magic Window ?
Ah, yes, I did try that, actually, just out of curiosity. It took me to a login page. I tried my normal login and it just re-asked. Am I supposed to sign up for another login?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jmcaine wrote: June 5th, 2018, 12:50 am Ah, yes, I did try that, actually, just out of curiosity. It took me to a login page. I tried my normal login and it just re-asked. Am I supposed to sign up for another login?
yes this is the part where you click "forgot password" or something, then you get a different password for your work in the dashboard

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Ok, I think I got it. I wasn't positive about whether or not I was supposed to set the duration in META. I went ahead and did so, with the idea that I should be able to "un-set" it if necessary. I hope this is right.

I guess that this means I don't need to post the url to messages in this forum, for this work... I can just go update the MW with the newly recorded section and be done?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:clap: yay you're in !
Ok, I think I got it. I wasn't positive about whether or not I was supposed to set the duration in META. I went ahead and did so, with the idea that I should be able to "un-set" it if necessary. I hope this is right.
no the metasection gets updated automatically, no need for you to input anything there.

The length is usually put in the Notes section

The rest looks perfect
I guess that this means I don't need to post the url to messages in this forum, for this work... I can just go update the MW with the newly recorded section and be done?
it is best though to at least post a message in the thread (eg "new chapter in the MW"), because Larry and me get alerted by new messages and will see what is happening here and if we need to take action. If you only update the MW, we will get no such message and might think, there are no updates. It saves us the trouble to check every few hours to see if you posted something.

Thanks

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Bravo :clap:

Sonia has answered all of your questions and concerns so well, so there is little for me to add.

I've listened to your recording and it as absolutely marvelous! Exactly what I was hoping for. Your even voice as narrator and the characters so expressive, make this a delight to listen to, and very entertaining. (Love the coughing and sputtering). Your expertise in putting together the audio file is evident and makes the final result perfect.

You are not under any time limit with this, but I would encourage you to keep at it on a regular basis. There are a lot of chapters, and it is easy for interest to wane.

Give those children our kudos and tell them what stars they are!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Oh, super! Ok, we're on our way, then. We'll hit another chapter tomorrow. Thanks!
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

And sorry, I'll fix the metadata, accordingly.
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Chapter 1 ready in MW!
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Hmnnnn... I just listened critically with headphones. I've been missing my pop filter, and I think it shows in this recording (chapter 1) -- I think I'd like to re-record that. It really goes pretty quickly, so it's no trouble.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'm out of town for a meeting tomorrow, and my personal computer is down, but I'll get to this as soon as I can.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your computer. :( Please don't fret on behalf of this project... we'll be finding our stride soon and making more regular progress, but you're not holding me up yet. :) Also, don't bother with the chapter one recording - I've decided to re-do it with the pop screen back. I don't like it as it is. Sorry for posting prematurely.