[COMPLETE][FULL] World's Story 3: Egypt, Africa, Arabia - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rawbean23 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm I hope I am doing this right. Here's my first attempt:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_070_tappan_128kb.mp3
I know I will have to adjust the volume, I couldn't make the RealGain work. I would appreciate other feeback as well. Please let me know what I can do to improve.
hi Robin and thanks for this great first recording. I think this is your first official LV recording ever, am I right ? So CONGRATS on your first PL ok. I'm pleased it was in "my" project. :9:

Concerning ReplayGain (I don't know RealGain), what was the problem ? Couldn't you install it or didn't you find it in Audacity. It is a bit hidden, it can be under Effect or Analyze but if you installed it correctly, it should have been in one of those two.

But your volume on this one at least is just inside our limits. It's 86.4 dB, which is the lower required minimum. 2 or 3 dB more would have been perfect, but this is absolutely acceptable. I hear a bit of background hum, but it's not too distracting, so it's ok, you don't need to adjust anything there. If I may make a suggestion, for your next recording, try running the noise-cleaning function over the file once before you upload, it will make the sound clearer, especially if maybe you are amplifying the volume by 2 dB as well.

About the reading proper, it was totally agreeable to listen to, you have a clear voice, you don't speak too fast, but your pauses are not unnaturally long either, so it's perfect to follow along with the story. :thumbs: And on top of it all, you delivered a word-perfect reading. There is really nothing that needs changing.

Just one technical detail: please always state the length of the recording when you post your link in the thread, it makes it easier to update the MW and it's a good control that the file downloaded correctly.

I sincerely hope you liked the recording and editing process as well, so we can hear plenty more sections from you in the future. For the moment this project is fully booked out, but there will be over 10 more books from this series, so I hope I will hear you in the next one as well. 8-) If you stay bookmarked on this thread you will see my announcement of the next book in a few weeks. ;)

Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: August 9th, 2018, 1:59 am
mightyfelix wrote: August 8th, 2018, 4:54 pmSo... Not to rush you just as soon as you get home, but.... How soon do we get to go to Rome? :mrgreen:
someone is being impatient here :lol:
Who, me??? :mrgreen:

I didn't really expect that you'd be ready just yet, but... Well, I am! :lol: I really just wanted to know when to be watching for it, so thanks!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: August 9th, 2018, 8:59 am 95 and 96 are uploaded. Aha! More Arabian nights stories to listen to. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_95_tappan_128kb.mp3 6:17
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_96_tappan_128kb.mp3 2:01
oh that was a fast turn-around, Michele, thank you :9: both stories were really funny and excellently narrated :thumbs:

I can mark 96 as PL ok already, but I found a small error in 95:

> at 3:40: (p. 523): "Why, he is the commander of the faithful himself." - you say "is he", and make it sound as if it was the host asking this question, but this is actually Ibrahim stating it as a fact. That's why the host thinks they mock him, because he doesn't believe them.

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

95 is corrected and uploaded. Now it makes sense! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:16 am 95 is corrected and uploaded. Now it makes sense! :thumbs:
yes, thank you ! Now totally PL ok. :)

Sonia
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, Kitty!
I'm sorry I missed the instructions about the photographs. Here, I fixed them up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_021_tappan_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_023_tappan_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_027_tappan_128kb.mp3

I'm looking forward to Rome, too!
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

New time lengths:

21~ (1:45)

23~ (1:59)

27~ (1:41)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thestorygirl wrote: August 10th, 2018, 1:48 pm I'm sorry I missed the instructions about the photographs. Here, I fixed them up:
thank you :9: all three now PL ok.
I'm looking forward to Rome, too!
oh I'm so looking forward to hearing from you all in the next book. 8-) I hope to launch it by the end of August.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 1:37 pm
Farnood wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 12:30 pmI would like to claim the following sections: 54, 57, 60, 61, 80, 81, 82, and 84.
oh hi again :) wow you want to take that many in one go ?

I can sign you up for 7 of these. For the moment Section 80. A modern battlefield is unofficially reserved for LordArcane, pending a one-minute-test. I put a memo note in the MW the day it got claimed. I want to keep that section reserved for now. But the others are yours. Have fun and thanks for claiming.

Sonia
Hi again Farnood,

so, since I haven't heard back from the initial claimant of Section 80, and since you previously showed an interest in it, I will assign you this section as well, if you still want it.

Please let me know if you changed your mind. For the moment I'm going to assign it to you, but I can orphan it as soon as you tell me you don't want it anymore. :)

edit: confirmed via PM. Thanks !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah, another wonderful painting's description, I love to listen to those :9: Cleopatra is depicted quite as the femme fatale here. ;)

Everything perfect, Alan, you only for some reason forgot to include the intro and outro to your section. :hmm:

> at 0:01: while the complete title was totally correct now, we still need the abbreviated disclaimer at the beginning: "Section 36 of Egypt, Africa and Arabia, read for LibriVox.org by Alan Mapstone", then only the title, etc, which you have correctly done

> at 3:07: missing end disclaimer: "End of Section 36. This recording is in the public domain.”

Thanks !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: August 14th, 2018, 3:12 am
Everything perfect, Alan, you only for some reason forgot to include the intro and outro to your section.
How careless of me. I will add this as soon as I can. Thanks for the quick PL.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 36 with intro and outro. Duration is 3:29

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_036_tappan_128kb.mp3

I enjoyed doing these sections. Look forward to the next set.
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 16th, 2018, 1:44 am Section 36 with intro and outro. Duration is 3:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_036_tappan_128kb.mp3
I enjoyed doing these sections. Look forward to the next set.
thank you Alan, it's now PL ok. :)

I'm glad you will participate in the next one too. Especially because there will be 4 stage plays, so I'm counting on all my drama-buddies to help out. So many people seem to look forward to the next one. I promise I will set it up near the end of the month. :9: By then we will almost have finished this one, so it's a good moment to start a new one.

Sonia