[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 33 reuploaded with 2 corrections made. Thanks for catching those.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_33_stowe_128kb.mp3 38:02

Gracious, Angelique, you are good for my ego! 41 is ready now, in case you have time. WARNING: It's a long one.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 5, Eliza
The corrections are fine, but I'm curious how to account for the 32 second difference in file length when you didn't actually remove much text. It could mean you accidently deleted a chunk of text (which means I need to PL the whole file again), or that you increased Tempo, Truncated Silences, or applied another Effect. Can you explain this?
First file 8:05
Second file: 7:33
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 12 Topsy is PL OK and congrats on your new mike. It sounds really clear.

Poor Topsy, once degraded, scarred forever. Not unlike the situation we still have, despite our best efforts to add black heroes into our history books, where they truly belong. Everyone needs good role models that represent their own ethnicity, gender, etc. Proud ancestry makes for confident people.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Michele,
I cut a lot of silence. The piece flows more quickly and well now, I believe. Too, the I& O were shorter, so that will account for a few seconds removal. I noticed no text missing as I re-listened to "Eliza."
Hope that helps,
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 5 is PL OK.

Thanks for explaining. This is a good example of how important it is to report file length on every uploaded file. It is so easy, when making corrections, to inadvertently whack off a whole sentence, and the file length is often the only flag of something gone wrong. If you do change tempo or adjust silences AFTER pl'ing has taken place, please report it. The new time has to go into the MW.

Did you go in and change the silence length manually, or did you use the Truncate Silence Effect?
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Ohhh. I truncated silence manually, but certainly shall look for a Truncate Silence Effect. That will save quite a bit of time.
I'll now list any pertinent changes in the file when I make them.
As always, thank you for your help.
Of course I will PL Section 41, most likely on Sunday.

Best,
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I was able to PL Section 41 tonight. I applaud you for so few errors during this long piece.

19:53
Text: "between five and twenty"
Said: "between five and thirty"

25:06 - 25:11: 5 second pause

34:07 and
34:16 Wytheville, place name, specific to Virginia, pronounced, oddly, "With-ville"
38:45 Wythe is "With"

I am only aware of the above as I lived close to there; it is the site of two of my only three speeding tickets. Certainly, if you do not wish to change the pronunciation, I have no objection.
Ah hm.
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Here we are, Ms. Michele.
When you have several moments, I would appreciate if you would listen to this edit; I believe the spacing to be better, but am pleased to have your guidance.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_05_stowe_128kb.mp3 7:56

As always,
Many Thanks,
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 41 has been repaired and re-uploaded, wythe appreciation and thanks for catching those errors! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_41_stowe_128kb.mp3 55:30
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 06 Uncle Tom A very interesting chapter, well done. :thumbs:
There are a few issues.

Bit rate should be 128kbps, and file needs a constant bit rate, not variable.
TIP: Bit rate is set when you export your raw file to MP3. On the export screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; Audacity will remember the setting until you change it again.

Volume 91.3 kind of hot with some clipped wave forms. You could Amplify -2, or I have heard file volume is automatically modified somewhat on cataloguing. Not sure about this, so I just do it myself on my flies.

0-7:45 The tempo is considerably slower through here than in the whole rest of the file, and spaces between many of the words and phrases seems jerky, also curiously different from the rest. Maybe you could increase tempo +2 in this area, and cut out or shorten some of those spaces for a more natural flow.

37:22 "Oh no, Mrs. Stowe", Stowe rhymes with glow, not plow. As this is the author's name, it seems important to pronounce it correctly.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Please, please O Angels of Beneficence and Generosity, assign me this part:
Section 35: 3.5 – Select Incidents of Lawful Trade; or, Facts stranger than Fiction
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 11th, 2018, 11:16 am Please, please O Angels of Beneficence and Generosity, assign me this part:
Section 35: 3.5 – Select Incidents of Lawful Trade; or, Facts stranger than Fiction
Most happily, I will. "Facts stranger than fiction"????? Sounds interesting.
Last edited by msfry on July 11th, 2018, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

deleted
Last edited by msfry on July 11th, 2018, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

In re:
35. 3.5 – Select Incidents of Lawful Trade; or, Facts stranger than Fiction

The MW word count is given as 4,612, however there are actually only 3,026 in the text... unless the text of Chapter XI is not the only text involved.

The chapter begins with:
In this chapter of _Uncle Tom’s Cabin_ were recorded some of the most
highly-wrought and touching incidents of the slave-trade. It will be
well to authenticate a few of them.

And ends with:
“If ye forgive not
men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

Is there an explanation for the 1,600 difference in word count?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison