[COMPLETE] World's Story 2: India, Persia, Mesopotamia, Palestine - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AtalieH wrote: April 19th, 2018, 10:35 am Just finished recording and editing parts 99 and 100! :clap: Please let me know if I need to make any other changes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume_02_99_tappan_128.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume_02_100_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you, that was fast. Will try to PL still this evening to give you feedback. Please always state the length of the files, so I can update the Magic Window :)

Sonia
AtalieH

Post by AtalieH »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2018, 10:38 am
AtalieH wrote: April 19th, 2018, 10:35 am Just finished recording and editing parts 99 and 100! :clap: Please let me know if I need to make any other changes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume_02_100_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you, that was fast. Will try to PL still this evening to give you feedback. Please always state the length of the files, so I can update the Magic Window :)

Sonia
Oh sorry about that, I forgot that detail.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume_02_99_tappan_128.mp3 29:55
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume_02_100_tappan_128kb.mp3 23:53
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you. At first glance, the file names are not exactly correct. It should be volume02 in one word and the 99 should be 3 digits 099. But no need to reupload yet, I'll first check if there are any other errors. If it is all flawless, I can change the filenames myself later on.

Stay tuned.

Sonia
AtalieH

Post by AtalieH »

Ok, thanks Sonia. Sounds great!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Atalie, I had some time to listen to the shortest section already. I wanted to do this to give you some feedback immediately, but I will leave the other section for tomorrow.

First of all, your reading is very good, fluent and easy to listen to. :thumbs: Perfect for audiobooks, so that's already a good thing, (the most important thing I would say). I love when you're reading in character, for example the fierce taunts of Goliath, that makes a story lively and keeps the audience hooked.

All your technical settings are also correct. Nothing to change there. :) Intro/Outro: perfect as mentioned in the first post. You did your homework. Excellent job.

I found a few minor things that could be edited though, but nothing difficult. So please: do NOT re-record the entire text. That is way too much work for you as reader and for me as prooflistener.

So here are my few PL notes:

> at 2:26: (p. 547) slight stumble and repeat in "and the Philistines stood on a mountain on the one side" - I think you can cut out a bit to make it more fluent. If it doesn't work, it's also ok as it is, don't worry. This is optional

> at 2:44: "beginning footnote / end footnote: for the footnotes, please say simply "Footnote - [read footnote in question] - End of Footnote", as I mentioned in my second post. Simply cut out "beginning". The tiny "of" at the end is optional I guess, it doesn't matter so much

> at 2:59: same thing for footnote

> at 19:59: (p. 557): "and shalt remain by the stone Ezel" - you say "in", which is a bit weird, picturing this :? To edit this sentence, the best thing is to re-record the entire bit I just wrote in a second Audacity window. Then noiseclean that part and copy/paste it into the correct slot in the masterfile. Then listen to the sentence before and after, if the volume is ok. If not, you may highlight that short part and amplify or decrease until it sounds more like the surrounding.

That's all. As I said, great job. Oh and if you reupload, please use the correct filename then, with "volume02" in one word. :)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Although I will be logging off for tonight, but I will reply first thing in the morning.

Sonia
krazystew

Post by krazystew »

Last edited by krazystew on April 19th, 2018, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2018, 12:36 am Actually all throughout this section, in some parts your recording has a tendency to fade off and the last words are barely audible. I guess I can manually make them louder later on when I edit, so no need to correct, but I don’t know what happened to provoke this. Any ideas ? :hmm:
I think I overdid it on the noise reduction by mistake. If I recall, the heating fan in the room turned on as the recording ended, and I must've used that as a noise profile despite the fan not being a problem in the earlier parts. I'm so sorry about the volume issues. :oops: I re-recorded the line you mentioned and uploaded it again.

I also finished my last two sections!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_072_tappan_128kb.mp3 (13:04)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_113_tappan_128kb.mp3 (1:37)

If they're good, that will be it for me until Volume 3. :D
Tomas Peter
krazystew

Post by krazystew »

Kevin
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

AtalieH

Post by AtalieH »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2018, 11:35 am
ok Atalie, I had some time to listen to the shortest section already. I wanted to do this to give you some feedback immediately, but I will leave the other section for tomorrow.

First of all, your reading is very good, fluent and easy to listen to. :thumbs: Perfect for audiobooks, so that's already a good thing, (the most important thing I would say). I love when you're reading in character, for example the fierce taunts of Goliath, that makes a story lively and keeps the audience hooked.

All your technical settings are also correct. Nothing to change there. :) Intro/Outro: perfect as mentioned in the first post. You did your homework. Excellent job.

I found a few minor things that could be edited though, but nothing difficult. So please: do NOT re-record the entire text. That is way too much work for you as reader and for me as prooflistener.

So here are my few PL notes:

> at 2:26: (p. 547) slight stumble and repeat in "and the Philistines stood on a mountain on the one side" - I think you can cut out a bit to make it more fluent. If it doesn't work, it's also ok as it is, don't worry. This is optional

> at 2:44: "beginning footnote / end footnote: for the footnotes, please say simply "Footnote - [read footnote in question] - End of Footnote", as I mentioned in my second post. Simply cut out "beginning". The tiny "of" at the end is optional I guess, it doesn't matter so much

> at 2:59: same thing for footnote

> at 19:59: (p. 557): "and shalt remain by the stone Ezel" - you say "in", which is a bit weird, picturing this :? To edit this sentence, the best thing is to re-record the entire bit I just wrote in a second Audacity window. Then noiseclean that part and copy/paste it into the correct slot in the masterfile. Then listen to the sentence before and after, if the volume is ok. If not, you may highlight that short part and amplify or decrease until it sounds more like the surrounding.

That's all. As I said, great job. Oh and if you reupload, please use the correct filename then, with "volume02" in one word. :)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Although I will be logging off for tonight, but I will reply first thing in the morning.

Sonia
Thanks for the compliment and the feedback! I followed your suggestions and made the changes. I hope this is all good now! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_100_tappan_128kb.mp3 23:51
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: what happened here overnight ?
Ok, Kevin, Thomas, Jo, Jim and Atalie: thank you all for your contributions. :9: I will start PLing them all soon enough. Stay tuned for feedback.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AtalieH wrote: Thanks for the compliment and the feedback! I followed your suggestions and made the changes. I hope this is all good now! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_100_tappan_128kb.mp3 23:51
yes thank you Atalie, all is perfect now. I see you even managed to cut out the short stumble. Well done, that was a trickier business :thumbs:

Section 100 is PL ok.
AtalieH wrote:Just finished recording and editing parts 99 and 100! :clap: Please let me know if I need to make any other changes.
I finally also PLed this lengthy section 99. Quite a feat :shock: Also everything very nicely narrated. But I did find some things to correct still:

> volume is a bit below our minimum standard of 86. We accept between 86 and 92, with preferred average of 89 dB. Could you please amplify by 3 ?

> at 0:27: saying the title once is enough, you can cut it out once. Only leave the one where you state the century afterwards

> at 1:59: (p. 529 bottom) “was four hundred and thirty years” – here you jump one entire paragraph and continue with “and their generations”. You missed 6 lines from the top of page 530 (from “And it came to pass” till “all the children of Israel in their generations”)

> since you have to reupload anyway, please also correct the filenamevolume02” in one word and “99” in three digits “099;)

thank you so much :) two excellent chapters !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kevin, this was a wonderful reading. I absolutely love listening to your deep, resonant voice. :9: And especially the section about the prince losing his book was highly entertaining and funny. And a very good moral lesson for the teacher at the end. Food for thought.

Both sections flawlessly read :thumbs: only there is an issue with the volume, both sections are over our accepted maximum of 92 dB.

for Section 73:

> 92.5 dB - please decrease volume by 3 dB
> concerning the end-silence. We usually require a standard of 5 seconds of silence at the end. You come close to 7 seconds, so if you wouldn't mind, you could also trim a bit there at the end

for Section 74:

> 93.1 dB - please decrease volume by 3 dB

You can reupload both sections with the same file name to replace the old ones in the MW.

Excellent job. And now having heard you, I have no doubts that you can handle the 4 last sections as well, if you still want them :) I haven't heard back from the new member, so I will probably orphan them some time today.

Thanks for participating here :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 19th, 2018, 1:42 pm I think I overdid it on the noise reduction by mistake. If I recall, the heating fan in the room turned on as the recording ended, and I must've used that as a noise profile despite the fan not being a problem in the earlier parts. I'm so sorry about the volume issues. :oops: I re-recorded the line you mentioned and uploaded it again.
what happened now ! You are over 93 dB in volume now. Well luckily there is no clipping it seems, so all is well. I will adjust the volume later on anyway in editing together the drama. At least I can here the "spring" now :lol:

Thanks, Tomas, the king is now PL ok. I will get to your other sections later on...

Sonia