COMPLETE Marion Harland's Complete Etiquette -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Okay - I will try it again next time I DPL prior to you putting it into the MW. :)

Lynda
MonikaR
Location: near Zurich (previously Geneva, Paris and Frankfurt)

Post by MonikaR »

Lmnei wrote: May 21st, 2018, 10:34 am
MonikaR wrote: May 21st, 2018, 9:41 am Here is Chapter 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_7_harland_128kb.mp3, time: 14:10

Monika
Hi Monika -

Very nice recording of Home Wedding!

There are two things that need to be corrected -

5:59 – you said with should be white
13:17 - you said produced should be procured

That is all!

Lynda

Carolin - please mark these See PL Notes when you update the listings.

Well, that was a super quick listen Lynda!
Thanks for your corrections. All done and new file uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_7_harland_128kb.mp3

Have a good day.

Monika
TracyB

Post by TracyB »

Greetings!

Section 30 is now ready for PL...

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_30_harland_128kb.mp3

Time: 13:47

md5 checksum: F324F8DD37A70DBB436E8384AC39940A
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Tracy -

First, we do not need CheckSum's - we do not use them in checking your file when PL'ing it technically or when listening to it.

You do have a lot of breathe and breathing sounds in your recording - try moving the mic away a bit more so that they are reduced.

At 3:35 - you missed the "Bloom of Peach" section. Please insert it into the recording.

Last comment is to watch the inclination to add little words into your reading - I caught a couple of the's and a's that were added into the reading. It is something I need to watch for too as some of these text are missing those words - especially the older English ones! Don't worry about them in this case - they did not affect the reading, or I would have pointed them out.

If you can fix the Bloom of Peach section for me please and then repost the new link that would be great and I will then give that new part a listen!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Monica -

Section 7 now PL OK!

Great editing!

Lynda
TracyB

Post by TracyB »

Lynda-

Thanks for your patience.

Section 30 has been edited to include the missing "Bloom of Peach":

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_30_harland_128kb.mp3

Breaths have been reduced 18db to meet your preferences.
Editing has begun on the next section and we're in the process of recording the last of our assigned pieces.
We'll be sure to reduce the breaths on these.

I love the way this mic matches my voice but we are looking at better alternatives for this style of recording.
Changing mic distance has had more effect on room ambience than on issues related to the design of the mic.
Our placement is currently 18 inches off-axis. After we've finished with Marion, we'll be digging through the mic locker.

We use checksums during file transfer between and our recording, editing, and internet-connected rigs.
Our practice is to include them with all transfers but we'll omit them if they are not useful.

Your comments on reading technique are appreciated. I find Marion Harland's terse style to be a bit of a tongue twister.

Updated Section Time: 14:05
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Hello, here is Section 26.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_26_harland_128kb.mp3

Time is 15:48.

Thank you Lynda for your kind words. That keeps us going!

Gloria
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Tracy!

Section 30 is now PL OK!

That was an awesome job you did with the edits! Way to go!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

gloryb wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 4:11 pm Hello, here is Section 26.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_26_harland_128kb.mp3

Time is 15:48.

Thank you Lynda for your kind words. That keeps us going!

Gloria
Thanks Gloria!

I have the following comments on the above recording which are only French pronunciations :) I have both written down how I would pronounce the word and recorded a file for you so you can listen to me pronounce them too. I hope this helps! If you can try and edit your recording and put these words in their place that would be awesome!

5:28 - Canapé - Say Canada, now say the beginning - "Cana" and add "PAY"
6:22 - Champignons - Say Champ ING ons
6:48 - Chutney - Say CHUT (like Shut but with a CH sound) then "ney" like a horse sound.
8:27 - En Coquille - Say En CO Que Ill
8:43 - Entrements - Say En tra Mants
11:05 - Paté - Say Pa TAE
11:13 - Pâté de foie gras - Say Pa TAE de foie gras (the rest you pronounced just perfect!)
11:18 - Pièce de résistance - Say Piece (just like the english word piece) DE resist AUnce
12:36 - Rechauffé - Say RE ch AW ff

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/gloria_marion_french_26.mp3

You did a wonderful job recording all those hard cooking names! Thanks for recording thist section!

Lynda
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Hi Lynda, On the pronunciation of these words - your pronunciations of these words is the same as I have always heard however I looked up all the words on "translate google" before hand and what I recorded was their given pronunciation of these words for English since it was a book written in English (to be correct in my pronunciation). I debated which way to go. I'll make the changes and resend. If you have some time you might look some of them up on "translate google" and you'll see what I mean. Gloria :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all! :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

gloryb wrote: May 24th, 2018, 12:27 pm Hi Lynda, On the pronunciation of these words - your pronunciations of these words is the same as I have always heard however I looked up all the words on "translate google" before hand and what I recorded was their given pronunciation of these words for English since it was a book written in English (to be correct in my pronunciation). I debated which way to go. I'll make the changes and resend. If you have some time you might look some of them up on "translate google" and you'll see what I mean. Gloria :)
Hi gloria, just so you know, fixing pronunciation things is generally considered to be optional. Especially in english there are generally more ways to say a word correctly. So especially if the sound quality is better now than when you have corrected a part, it might be better to keep the current version :)
Carolin
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks for pointing that out Carolin -

Other than living in a country where French is a second language and having to speak basic French at my volunteer job, I understand where Gloria is coming from in this being an English book.

I did listen to Google Translate (which I find not the best in terms of pronunciation in either English or other languages due to dialect) and several of the words regardless of French or English origin needed to be changed.

I liked what another DPL just did for me in terms of the German I needed to record so I thought I would do a similar thing for Gloria and record the words spoken in English for her that I hear in the predominately English speaking society that I live in.

Gloria did an excellent job of recording this section about food ingredients and I thought from a comprehension standpoint these words needed to be changed. I only pointed out the ones that really needed to be updated - the others I left for interpretation using her beautiful southern accent.

While I know this message was for Gloria, thanks for reminding me of how I can do my DPL job better!

Lynda
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Hi Lynda and Carolin, Thank you both for your input and discussion on this chapter. I agree with both of you and I wonder what the final answer would have been had I asked the question prior to recording? (for future reference). I don't feel I can recapture the same voice tone with one word changes so for the sake of the recording consistency I will leave it as is since it is technically correct even though it is not the common pronunciations we have all heard. Are you okay with that Lynda? Gloria :)
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Gloria -

I seemed to have lost my notes from when I compared your recording of the words to Google Translate. If you will give me a couple of hours this morning (as I am a few time zones behind you :) ) to refresh my memory of which words I found differently pronounced from Google Translate I will get back to you.

Also, I find it better when changing a recording to actually change a couple of words prior and after - that usually "fits" in a bit better than just inserting one word which as you pointed out can sound a little choppy.

I hope that is okay!

Lynda