[GRP/folklore] Legends and Myths of Hawaii by King David Kalakaua - lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14874
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 5th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Lmnei wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 7:28 pm
Hi Ladies -

Here is Section 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/legendsandmythsofhawaii_14_kalakaua_128kb.mp3 - 54:14

Lynda
Thank you
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

HZFerr
Posts: 3455
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Post by HZFerr » September 7th, 2018, 12:17 am

Hi Lynda,

sect 14
PL note: 2 spots of editing repeated/corrected lines

49:25 he has left to conjecture


50:55 until they finally abandoned the chase
Helen
"Ains a year say a prayer faur me
close yir een an remember me." Sgt. Joseph Kilna MacKenzie
POW/MIA we will remember them.

Lmnei
Posts: 2026
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » September 7th, 2018, 11:55 am

HZFerr wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:17 am
Hi Lynda,

sect 14
PL note: 2 spots of editing repeated/corrected lines

49:25 he has left to conjecture


50:55 until they finally abandoned the chase
Wow - thanks for that feedback Helen!

I ALMOST made it to the end without mistakes!

Here is Section 14 back for Spot PL -
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/legendsandmythsofhawaii_14_kalakaua_128kb.mp3 - 54:06

Have a great day ladies!

Lynda

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14874
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 7th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Lmnei wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 11:55 am
HZFerr wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:17 am
Hi Lynda,

sect 14
PL note: 2 spots of editing repeated/corrected lines

49:25 he has left to conjecture


50:55 until they finally abandoned the chase
Wow - thanks for that feedback Helen!

I ALMOST made it to the end without mistakes!

Here is Section 14 back for Spot PL -
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/legendsandmythsofhawaii_14_kalakaua_128kb.mp3 - 54:06

Have a great day ladies!

Lynda
Thank you.
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

SiaBoBia
Posts: 35
Joined: July 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Post by SiaBoBia » September 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm

I'd love to read a section! Has Chapter 7 been spoken for?

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14874
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 9th, 2018, 9:32 am

SiaBoBia wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
I'd love to read a section! Has Chapter 7 been spoken for?
Section 7 is all yours!

Edit: It doesn't look like you were previously added to the catalog. I have added you using your forum name, but if you would prefer your real name, I can easily edit that. You can see your catalog page by clicking on your name in the Magic Window.
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

HZFerr
Posts: 3455
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Post by HZFerr » September 10th, 2018, 5:34 pm

sect 14
spot PL OK :thumbs:
Helen
"Ains a year say a prayer faur me
close yir een an remember me." Sgt. Joseph Kilna MacKenzie
POW/MIA we will remember them.

SiaBoBia
Posts: 35
Joined: July 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Post by SiaBoBia » September 18th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Lynnet wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 9:32 am
SiaBoBia wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
I'd love to read a section! Has Chapter 7 been spoken for?
Section 7 is all yours!

Edit: It doesn't look like you were previously added to the catalog. I have added you using your forum name, but if you would prefer your real name, I can easily edit that. You can see your catalog page by clicking on your name in the Magic Window.
Great! I'm on it! My real name is Sia Tuinei.
I read through the chapter and there are quite a few letters missing in the Hawaiian words so unless you're from those regions, or do research, they'll probably be pronounced incorrectly. I'm Polynesian, am familiar with the language, and it's even tough for me. Hawaiians I've asked can't say, without the accents, how it's pronounced. My husband's mom got her doctorate in Hawaiian language and so my husband's going through, helping me add in the missing letters and glottal stops, but it's guesswork. She passed, so this is one of those times I really miss her! The problem with incorrect pronunciation is that I'll be saying completely different words or complete jibberish, which is just adding confusion to, instead of honoring the stories and places of my people. So I want to get it right!

There's so many typos! The first paragraph of chapter 7 says Georgian when it's probably Tongan or sovereign, but said with a Hawaiian accent. Georgia has nothing to do with the Hawaiian islands. And from what I can find, it didn't in the late 1800's either. I may be mistaken. I have the book at my library and will check gutenberg's version against it in the morning. Unless you guys have some insight on why there are missing letters???

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14874
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 18th, 2018, 10:26 pm

SiaBoBia wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 8:58 pm
Lynnet wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 9:32 am
SiaBoBia wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
I'd love to read a section! Has Chapter 7 been spoken for?
Section 7 is all yours!

Edit: It doesn't look like you were previously added to the catalog. I have added you using your forum name, but if you would prefer your real name, I can easily edit that. You can see your catalog page by clicking on your name in the Magic Window.
Great! I'm on it! My real name is Sia Tuinei.
I read through the chapter and there are quite a few letters missing in the Hawaiian words so unless you're from those regions, or do research, they'll probably be pronounced incorrectly. I'm Polynesian, am familiar with the language, and it's even tough for me. Hawaiians I've asked can't say, without the accents, how it's pronounced. My husband's mom got her doctorate in Hawaiian language and so my husband's going through, helping me add in the missing letters and glottal stops, but it's guesswork. She passed, so this is one of those times I really miss her! The problem with incorrect pronunciation is that I'll be saying completely different words or complete jibberish, which is just adding confusion to, instead of honoring the stories and places of my people. So I want to get it right!

There's so many typos! The first paragraph of chapter 7 says Georgian when it's probably Tongan or sovereign, but said with a Hawaiian accent. Georgia has nothing to do with the Hawaiian islands. And from what I can find, it didn't in the late 1800's either. I may be mistaken. I have the book at my library and will check gutenberg's version against it in the morning. Unless you guys have some insight on why there are missing letters???
Wow, you have a lot more insight than I do! I am unfamiliar with the language and cannot help with missing letters or accents. My supposition is that when it was transcribed at Gutenberg (which is an automated process, with human proof-readers), the scans were imperfect and the proof-readers not familiar with how the names (I assume it's mostly names) should be spelled. If you have knowledge about corrections that should be made, you can submit them to Project Gutenberg for review.
For Librivox, we read the text as presented. Where there is an obvious typo (for example, the text says 'bad' and the only thing to make sense is 'had'), you can make the correction. As for pronunciation, I know I just 'muddled through', which would probably offend your late mother-in-law's ears. We do not ask for perfection -- just do the best you can.

I will update your catalog entry.
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

SiaBoBia
Posts: 35
Joined: July 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Post by SiaBoBia » September 18th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Lynnet wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 10:26 pm
SiaBoBia wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 8:58 pm
Lynnet wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 9:32 am


Section 7 is all yours!

Edit: It doesn't look like you were previously added to the catalog. I have added you using your forum name, but if you would prefer your real name, I can easily edit that. You can see your catalog page by clicking on your name in the Magic Window.
Great! I'm on it! My real name is Sia Tuinei.
I read through the chapter and there are quite a few letters missing in the Hawaiian words so unless you're from those regions, or do research, they'll probably be pronounced incorrectly. I'm Polynesian, am familiar with the language, and it's even tough for me. Hawaiians I've asked can't say, without the accents, how it's pronounced. My husband's mom got her doctorate in Hawaiian language and so my husband's going through, helping me add in the missing letters and glottal stops, but it's guesswork. She passed, so this is one of those times I really miss her! The problem with incorrect pronunciation is that I'll be saying completely different words or complete jibberish, which is just adding confusion to, instead of honoring the stories and places of my people. So I want to get it right!

There's so many typos! The first paragraph of chapter 7 says Georgian when it's probably Tongan or sovereign, but said with a Hawaiian accent. Georgia has nothing to do with the Hawaiian islands. And from what I can find, it didn't in the late 1800's either. I may be mistaken. I have the book at my library and will check gutenberg's version against it in the morning. Unless you guys have some insight on why there are missing letters???
Wow, you have a lot more insight than I do! I am unfamiliar with the language and cannot help with missing letters or accents. My supposition is that when it was transcribed at Gutenberg (which is an automated process, with human proof-readers), the scans were imperfect and the proof-readers not familiar with how the names (I assume it's mostly names) should be spelled. If you have knowledge about corrections that should be made, you can submit them to Project Gutenberg for review.
For Librivox, we read the text as presented. Where there is an obvious typo (for example, the text says 'bad' and the only thing to make sense is 'had'), you can make the correction. As for pronunciation, I know I just 'muddled through', which would probably offend your late mother-in-law's ears. We do not ask for perfection -- just do the best you can.

I will update your catalog entry.
Great! I'll look into it and let Gutenberg know if I find discrepancies. I'll have my chapter to you shortly. Thanks for the timely info and for updating the catalog. I can't wait to get started!

SiaBoBia
Posts: 35
Joined: July 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Post by SiaBoBia » September 19th, 2018, 12:39 am

Also, yes they are mostly names, but their names usually include the place or family they're from, which is why the names are so long.

La'a-mai-kahiki just means La'a from (mai) Tahiti (kahiki). (t and k are interchangeable)

Once Gutenberg gets all the hyphens and apostrophes in, it'll be a lot easier for anyone reading it to get through it.

La'a-mai-kahiki is easier than laamaikahiki. It's even easier when you know that each vowel only makes one sound.
a- ah
e- eh
i- ee
o- oh
u- oo

So this word in English is pronounced, lah-ah-my-kah-hee-kee

If there's two of the same vowel together, you just pronounce each separately. (like in Hawai'i)

I'm sorry if you've been suffering trying to get all those vowels to come out of your mouths! lol. My mother-in-law would appreciate your muddling through as much as I do! Thank you for helping to preserve my heritage! I'm grateful to be part of this and I just want to do the best I can, too :mrgreen: .
Thanks

SiaBoBia
Posts: 35
Joined: July 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Post by SiaBoBia » September 19th, 2018, 2:39 am

Hi! Can you check my specs before I go ahead and record the entire chapter? I got a new mic and I'm not sure if I've got volume and stuff right.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/legendsandmythsofhawaii_07_128kb.mp3

02:17

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14874
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 19th, 2018, 2:45 am

SiaBoBia wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 2:39 am
Hi! Can you check my specs before I go ahead and record the entire chapter? I got a new mic and I'm not sure if I've got volume and stuff right.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/legendsandmythsofhawaii_07_128kb.mp3

02:17
It sounded good and the only problem thrown up was there is a large amount of background noise. However, as I could not hear it, it could be because you had not left 5 seconds of silence at the end (that messes with our checks).
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

SiaBoBia
Posts: 35
Joined: July 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Post by SiaBoBia » September 19th, 2018, 7:47 am

Lynnet wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 2:45 am
SiaBoBia wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 2:39 am
Hi! Can you check my specs before I go ahead and record the entire chapter? I got a new mic and I'm not sure if I've got volume and stuff right.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/legendsandmythsofhawaii_07_128kb.mp3

02:17
It sounded good and the only problem thrown up was there is a large amount of background noise. However, as I could not hear it, it could be because you had not left 5 seconds of silence at the end (that messes with our checks).
Good to know. I'll make sure to leave 5 seconds at the end. Thank you!

StanDW
Posts: 3
Joined: September 6th, 2018, 11:21 am

Post by StanDW » September 23rd, 2018, 5:29 am

Hey, could I claim section 8? Put me down as StanDW. Cheers!

Post Reply