[COMPLETE] King Lear by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

"Two items I noticed: at 9:59 and 10:32 the narrator adds ["singing"], I'm not sure there is any point in this, it just disturbs the flow as it's made clear in the in the way it's read/sang."

Hey, I was just doing my job. :)

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here's the rest of the Fool:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_fool_2_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_fool_3_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_fool_3_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_fool_3_6.mp3

Is he mad in his final scene? Or just bored out of his mind, and copying the nutters around him? Maybe on the verge of suicide? Who knows what happens to him. :? (These questions are about my performance, by the way; I leave it up to the listener to decide. It's more obvious that my voice shivers during the heath scenes because of the cold)

With that, we are now ready to enter full-on editing mode! :mrgreen: If we all chip in in some way, we will have this done soon, so let that be a motivator for us all!
Tomas Peter
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hamlet wrote: March 16th, 2018, 7:39 pm "Two items I noticed: at 9:59 and 10:32 the narrator adds ["singing"], I'm not sure there is any point in this, it just disturbs the flow as it's made clear in the in the way it's read/sang."

Hey, I was just doing my job. :)

Brad
Definitely not a criticism. I could see it was asked of the narrator and I'm never quite sure what the rules are. I'm guessing in some cases the reader would not have sung the lines.
Cheers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 16th, 2018, 10:18 pmIs he mad in his final scene? Or just bored out of his mind, and copying the nutters around him? Maybe on the verge of suicide? Who knows what happens to him. :?
:lol: "copying the nutters" well, thanks for this, Tomas. :mrgreen: It probably wouldn't do that in a scene with a king, a counsellor, a young hero and a fool, it would be the fool who sounded most sane ;)
It's more obvious that my voice shivers during the heath scenes because of the cold
indeed now you mention it, the fool seems to be the only one who is cold in this scene. Although Edgar sometimes says that poor Tom is cold, it sounds more as if he still is playing his persona. Well maybe the others are oblivious to the cold because they are absorbed in their worries. While the Fool keeps a level head still and notices it's really cold

All Fools PL ok. That means every scene is ready to be assembled. Who takes what ? I'll sign myself up for 1.5. already, starting at the beginning.
I think it will be easier if I stitch it all together and Sonia does a final PL. That way she can retain her proof-listening role. :)
yes that is exactly what I meant too. When you stitch them together, please check at the beginning of each scene whether the "Act" is cut out. I think I forgot it in some scenes.

Will try listening to Act 5 today still....looking forward to that.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Craigos wrote: March 17th, 2018, 1:25 am
Definitely not a criticism. I could see it was asked of the narrator and I'm never quite sure what the rules are. I'm guessing in some cases the reader would not have sung the lines.
Cheers
In the play/film "The Dresser" the characters are preparing for a production of "King Lear." The regular actor who would normally play the Fool has just abruptly left the company, so a quickly arranged understudy has been chosen to play the part. He's very nervous about it, and before the play, he is called into the actor/manager's dressing room for instructions, and he's made more nervous by the fact that this manager is a bit of a tyrant. At one point during the interview, he is asked if he can sing "He that hath and a little tiny wit" and so he attempts to sing it, and due to his nervousness and his inexperience he does so horribly. The manager then pauses for a few seconds, and says, "Speak the lines, don't sing them!"

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Kitty wrote: March 17th, 2018, 2:28 am Although Edgar sometimes says that poor Tom is cold, it sounds more as if he still is playing his persona.
If Edgar isn't cold, then he's Superman! lol We can assume he's barely dressed. Gloucester later refers to him as "the naked fellow."

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 17th, 2018, 5:15 am If Edgar isn't cold, then he's Superman! lol We can assume he's barely dressed. Gloucester later refers to him as "the naked fellow."
true, well, Edgar his the youthful hero of this play. He would rather die than admit he is cold :lol:

Will listen to Act 5 soon....

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Shall I try editing 2_4, I think that is the next one.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: March 17th, 2018, 6:41 am Shall I try editing 2_4, I think that is the next one.
cool ! thanks Craig !!!

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tomas, 5.1. is ready for PL. If all is well, you can assemble Act 1 :9:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_1_5.mp3
Recording time: 3:19 min.

And now, before I claim another scene to edit, I will first listen to Act 5

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tomas, I listened to Act 5 and it sounds brilliant 8-) I did copy "by William Shakespeare" from the beginning and inserted it also at the end, figuring it's nice to state the author also at the very end. You can do one final Spot PL. "End of King Lear, by William Shakespeare". That is the only thing I changed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_05_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 29:33 min.

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_2_4.mp3 20:14

At around 18:15 there is a comment ["Storm and Tempest"]. I originally took this as a comment on the mood of Lear :oops: , but I think it is a reference to the storm outside the building. If it is, I think this is one that would be good to have some sort of thunder/lightning sound effect, because it sets the scene for the next bit of dialogue and for the subsequent acts. I'm sure I could find a non-copyright sound effect one way or another. (I am from Wales after all, I just need to stick my mic out of the window.)

Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before.

Back to the rugby and a pint of beer.

Cheers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

that was a long scene :shock: I will listen to it later on, now I'm listening to Orra.
At around 18:15 there is a comment ["Storm and Tempest"]. I originally took this as a comment on the mood of Lear :oops: , but I think it is a reference to the storm outside the building. If it is, I think this is one that would be good to have some sort of thunder/lightning sound effect, because it sets the scene for the next bit of dialogue and for the subsequent acts.
yes I think that is where Tomas wanted to try to fiddle with effects a bit. Actually it would have been better if he had assembled this then :hmm: Well, now it's done.

Tomas: before I listen to the scene, do you want to insert a bit of thunder ? I will only listen to it once then, when all is complete.
I'm sure I could find a non-copyright sound effect one way or another. (I am from Wales after all, I just need to stick my mic out of the window.)
:lol: yes but Brad already stuck out his mic a few days ago in the storm of the century over Canada. We have enough PD footage I think for the scene.
Back to the rugby and a pint of beer.
who's winning ?

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

England just got put to shame by Ireland, who have now won a Grande Slam. (Won all their games)
Wales about to play.

Bet you wished you never asked now, don't you?

I think it would be good to have a sound effect, even if we left the narration in.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:England just got put to shame by Ireland, who have now won a Grande Slam. (Won all their games)
Wales about to play.

Bet you wished you never asked now, don't you?
well I admit I know next to nothing about the game of ruby. I thought a grand slam was only in tennis :lol: :oops:

You're surely rooting for Wales I guess. Good luck !

Sonia