Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

The file is 9:38.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 14th, 2018, 9:27 amI just learned that it broke the steeple off one of our oldest churches here in Halifax, Nova Scotia!
:shock: now you would have the perfect opportunity to record the "storm on the heath" scene :mrgreen:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

That occurred to me! lol

After all, Lear himself does say:

You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
Till you have drench’d our steeples!

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

we have a wonderful sunshiny day today :9:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

last picture:
A girl leans into the wind while taking pictures of the surf in Herring Cove outside Halifax on Tuesday
you should have been out there on Herring Cove with your recording device ! This is the perfect spot for King Lear !!!! :lol:

So is this storm heading up towards Tomas now ? :shock: it looks quite violent. I hope your home wasn't affected by it.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I just held the microphone up to an open window for over a minute, and then amplified the sound. I don't know if it's quite the effect you're looking for. lol

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_stormeffect.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Checker tells me: "The audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned." :lol: you don't say !

But I think this sounds perfect !!! I'm just not sure how well it would sound posed over our voices. :hmm: It should be made a lot less loud and prominent. I think for such effects, I leave the job to Tomas ;) Let's see if he can do something with it.

Thanks for this. I hope you did not kill the microphone with this action. It really sounds like a lot of rain. :shock:

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I just noticed that you can hear a little of my breath in the first few seconds. I must have been closer to the microphone than I thought.

Amazingly, a few minutes after I recorded that, the wind seems to have died down somewhat, so I may not get another chance.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 14th, 2018, 10:16 amAmazingly, a few minutes after I recorded that, the wind seems to have died down somewhat, so I may not get another chance.
I think we have plenty enough. Maybe one could put a bit of it at the beginning of the scene and not so much all over when we talk. :hmm: Or snippets from it, here and there interspersed... as I said, this is the kind of stuff Tomas likes to fiddle with :lol: I still remember the ghost scene from Cymbeline :shock: that was psychedelic !

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I should go back and listen to the plays you did before I joined. I'm also curious if there's a "bear" effect in Winter's Tale.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: March 14th, 2018, 10:53 amI should go back and listen to the plays you did before I joined. I'm also curious if there's a "bear" effect in Winter's Tale.
nope, we did not include the bear, it was plain narrator. Although Tomas might have had a chance to record one up at the cabin :mrgreen: But it was probably too dangerous.

But yes, there is always something or other of "crazyness" in each of our Shakespeare-in-small-group projects.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wo-hooo, Brad, I just listened to Scene 2.2. excellent editing and your ranting scene, now assembled with my rasping Oswald, really sounds great. :clap:
and I see you thought about cutting out "Act 2" :thumbs: great !

I would have a few notes here though:

> at 0:02: missing line "Before Gloucester's Castle." I can't believe I missed that the first time around. Did you maybe cut it out by error ? :hmm:

> at 1:40: could you leave a bit more space between the final sentence and stage direction "drawing his sword" ? It shows a bit better this is not Kent speaking anymore, especially because you are the reader for both

> at 2:09: also here a bit more space before "beating him", maybe

> at 9:33: also before "he sleeps", a bit more space

the rest is totally fine ! Thanks

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I'll see what I can do with the storm effect. :D I would love to use it in the heath scenes, though obviously not overbearingly. Maybe I will assemble Act 3 and play around with possibilities. As far as the storm itself, here in Ontario there is nothing major expected. It is cold and windy today, though. I could probably record some wind effects myself, but it would require opening my window and making my room frigid. :P

Sonia, 2.1 is very much PL OK. I am pleased my Gloucester and Edmund are easily differentiated. :mrgreen: For editing, I would like to try 1.2... I kinda want to hear my voice speaking to itself for an even longer period LOL. :lol:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 14th, 2018, 1:06 pm Sonia, 2.1 is very much PL OK. I am pleased my Gloucester and Edmund are easily differentiated. :mrgreen: For editing, I would like to try 1.2... I kinda want to hear my voice speaking to itself for an even longer period LOL. :lol:
thanks ! cool. Then there is only the monster scene 1.1. left....I will see if I can find some time tomorrow. If not, there is still time, we do not have to finish it immediately.

Sonia