Post by FatimaA »

OK here is Chapter 23. Length is 10:07.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_23_dingle_128kb.mp3

Thanks!

Fatima
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 29th, 2018, 11:20 pmOK here is Chapter 23. Length is 10:07.
great job, Fatima, this chapter is totally PL ok ! So what microphone were you using this time ? It is a much better sound now. :9: And no background noise at all, so the cleaning function is working perfectly. I had to crank up the volume a little bit more than I'm used to, which is strange because Checker tells me it's 90 dB. :hmm: But the recording is absolutely clearly understandable, well read and intonated and a pleasure to listen to. Nothing to change at all.

:clap: Thanks ! Looking forward to the rest. Now I want to know how the story ends :lol:

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

No change of microphone yet! It's the same microphone as before, but using the analog XLR connection through a mic preamp and channel strip processor (Harman dbx 186s), then out through a Behringer USB audio processor to my computer. I still need to fine tune the settings for my voice. All the noise removal was done in pre-processing using the expander/gate on the 186s, but I found on listening to the recording that I had set the ratio a little too high, which caused a bit of "choppiness" and drop-off; but it still sounded quite good, so I decided there was really no reason to re-record. I will have fun playing with the settings, but all of the settings will need to be changed anyway whenever my microphone changes. The microphone is on the list to be replaced; I just haven't had time to test other microphones yet. Hopefully I will get time this weekend and will let you know how it goes... :D
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 31st, 2018, 12:55 am Chapter 24. Duration: 9:58
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_24_dingle_128kb.mp3
oh no, what a sad ending for Milo :cry: I did not expect this. So in fact Dolores really was not a very good person. I'm sorry it had to end like this. Now I am curious what the final chapter will reveal.

No errors yet again, Fatima. :clap: PL ok. The sound is a bit more scratchy again in this one. I was wondering if maybe there was clipping. :hmm: Did you have to decrease the volume later on ?

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Please disregard my upload of Chapter 25. There were some compression issues with the recording (as with chapter 24 to some extent), which have since been resolved. I don't think there's any way for me to un-upload it, so I will just replace it soon with an updated version. Let's just call this last one a "warm up!"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

FatimaA wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 4:16 pm Please disregard my upload of Chapter 25. There were some compression issues with the recording (as with chapter 24 to some extent), which have since been resolved. I don't think there's any way for me to un-upload it, so I will just replace it soon with an updated version. Let's just call this last one a "warm up!"
When you upload a new file of the same name, the old file is renamed and put aside and the new one takes its place. No need to unload.

Thanks, Todd
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

Here is the link for Section 19. Its duration is 12:28.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_19_dingle_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: June 4th, 2018, 3:22 pm Here is the link for Section 19. Its duration is 12:28.
thank you, Philip. Wow now this chapter was quite action-packed :shock: Excellently narrated, yet again. I was in the thick of it all the time. :thumbs:

Two small and easy errors to correct though:

> at 0:30: repeat of “and behind him stood Pascherette, partly hidden by the trees, her small, eager face peering from behind a trunk” – can be cut out once

> only 1 second of silence at the end – please add another 4

:)

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Sonia:

Here is the link to the corrected file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_19_dingle_128kb.mp3. New file length is 13:23.
(Don't know where the original 12:28 came from).

Thanks to Todd for putting this interesting project on the boards, and thanks to you for your gracious and proficient PL.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: June 5th, 2018, 7:28 am Here is the link to the corrected file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_19_dingle_128kb.mp3. New file length is 13:23.
thanks, Philip, everything perfectly PL ok now :)

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Okay so here is a recording of chapter 25 which is 14:54 in length. The good news is, we have finally determined the cause of the slight mechanical-sounding distortion. It’s essentially an environmental noise issue. The reason it’s only noticeable when I speak is that the expander/gate on my sound processor works almost too well, causing the recordings to alternate between total silence and distorted Fatima. The less effective solution has been to stop using the expander/gate altogether and allow all of the noise through, and then try to clean up the recording using software. The much more effective method has been to shut off all of Fatima’s air conditioning, including the attic fan, and then record for short periods of time while sweating bullets (may be more feasible in the winter time). Now I understand the purpose of a professional recording studio!

Anyhow, as it’s very, very hot out, and I can’t afford a parametric equalizer at the moment, I am submitting this recording for review. If you think the distortion is distracting or somehow detracts from the recording, then please let me know and I will make a clean recording which is free of distortion (and air conditioning.) This would kind of be my last official act, because I will be leaving soon to spend the summer months in my country. I do plan to continue recording while I’m in Kashmir, though, as I have my two solo projects to work on. One advantage of recording in Kashmir: absolutely no air conditioning!

So, it seems that Dolores wasn’t such a bad person after all; she was only misunderstood. As Venner observes, “With a white woman’s opportunities, what a woman she could have been!” :lol: [Not very many politically correct books in the public domain...]

—Fatima

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_25_dingle_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Fatima
The good news is, we have finally determined the cause of the slight mechanical-sounding distortion. It’s essentially an environmental noise issue. The reason it’s only noticeable when I speak is that the expander/gate on my sound processor works almost too well, causing the recordings to alternate between total silence and distorted Fatima.

it sounds like you have "automatic noise-cancelling" switched on in your mic. I had that in the beginning as well, until someone told me to switch that off. It's often the cause for distortion.

Letting the noise in and then cleaning it up with Audacity is much more efficient and clean.
If you think the distortion is distracting or somehow detracts from the recording, then please let me know and I will make a clean recording which is free of distortion (and air conditioning.)
it's really as you wish. The section is beautifully read, no errors at all. On that point I can mark it PL ok.

As to sound, yes, it is still well understandable, but the sound is not very good, there is a lot of distortion, as you also remarked. In fact, I think the distortion on this file is more pronounced than your other files.

But once I started listening, I get used to it, and it doesn't distract too much, but your voice would be much better with a cleaner sound. So it is as you wish. For me and the purpose of the audiobook, you need not re-record, (but do consider not using noise-cancelling in future ;) )
This would kind of be my last official act, because I will be leaving soon to spend the summer months in my country. I do plan to continue recording while I’m in Kashmir, though, as I have my two solo projects to work on. One advantage of recording in Kashmir: absolutely no air conditioning!
:lol: well, have fun on your holidays and good thing you'll keep recording over there :mrgreen:

Thanks for your contributions, in any case. And hopefully hear more from you soon.

Sonia
JLC37

Post by JLC37 »

I'd like to do section 6, please. This would be my first recording on LibriVox, so I'd like to show up as Jennifer Cross.

Thanks! This looks fun. :)