COMPLETE[GROUP]The Pirate Woman by Captain Dingle - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

The volume was actually fine and did not need to be increased or decreased. There was no natural sound that would contribute to background noise (or as little as is possible in a real-life setting). When I was doing my one minute test, someone noticed a small amount of DC offset (too little to register with the checker program, but still there nonetheless). I was able to correct that with WavePad, which really helped to clean up the recordings made with the yucky microphones; but, that method hasn't yielded any additional improvement with the "good" microphone. If nothing else, this experience is teaching me a great deal about audio and about all the complexities that go into making a high quality recording. Now I understand what sound technicians do, as well as what the advantages would be to using an actual recording studio with top of the line equipment and software. In any case, Fatima will continue to do the very best that she can!!! :clap: For example, I have purchased an XLR to TRS cable, and will try to record this weekend using my computer's internal sound card, reconfiguring my system to use the USB connector for phantom power only. I guess the next step up from there would be an actual audio interface (gulp!)
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Okay, I have made some changes to my settings, as well as in the positioning of the microphone, as suggested. There's still a bit of distortion, but I think these recordings came out much, much better. A huge improvement in my opinion I re-recorded Chapter 11 using the new settings, so please use whichever version you feel came out better (I think my pacing is much better this time around, as well as the sound). I tried to stick to the guidelines regarding the length of silence at the beginning and end. This recording is 15:34 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_11_dingle_128kb.mp3

I have also completed chapter 12 using the new settings. This recording is 15:25 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_12_dingle_128kb.mp3

Sonia, in response to what you asked earlier, about providing an unedited recording to see how it could be improved even more, I wanted to clarify that these are both raw recordings. They passed all of the validation tests as-is, so I did not apply any normalization, noise reduction, or any other processes. This is the raw audio.

Thanks for all your help and support, and for getting me started as a volunteer!! My thanks to Jay as well!

Fatima
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 18th, 2018, 1:07 am Okay, I have made some changes to my settings, as well as in the positioning of the microphone, as suggested. There's still a bit of distortion, but I think these recordings came out much, much better.
yes, thank you, Fatima, indeed it is better audio than the first one. And also these two chapters have been flawlessly read :thumbs: I can mark them both PL ok now.
Sonia, in response to what you asked earlier, about providing an unedited recording to see how it could be improved even more, I wanted to clarify that these are both raw recordings. They passed all of the validation tests as-is, so I did not apply any normalization, noise reduction, or any other processes. This is the raw audio.
oh ok, you have done nothing at all to the audio. Don't you have an audio editing programme like Audacity ? I would highly recommend that one, you can download it for free and it's very easy to handle. Maybe one could do a bit of noise-cleaning, but it passes the Checker program, and the noise is not so disturbing, so nothing to change here. :)

Only as a suggestion, be careful with your volume. Sometimes you speak louder and at other times softer. This makes for a bit of an "up-and-down" feeling while listening. I am guessing you may have recorded in different sessions. Also here with Audacity you could have edited the sound so that the volume is more equal all through.

But: the sections are really good, so nothing to change for this time. It's a learning process. You'll see, with each recording, you'll be better. :)

Thank you for your contributions and hopefully I hear more from you soon.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

I have tried the free version of Audacity, and I also own WavePad Sound Editor, which seems to offer more features. I actually use WavePad for recording. I found that the noise cleaning feature (of both) actually increased the distortion problem a bit, so the recording overall sounded better without it. I am going to try a couple different microphones this weekend (the Blue Yeti that you recommended, as well as the Samson with the sound card interface) so that could change things quite a bit. Anyhow, its definitely fun to experiment.

I see there are still several chapters that are unassigned. If you'd like to assign me more chapters at any point in time, I'd be happy to volunteer to continue reading. I didn't want to set aside more than two chapters initially in order to give others a chance to participate.

I think that's a good recommendation to use the normalization feature to even out the volume, even if the checker program says the level is okay. I will definitely do that going forward!

Thanks,

Fatima
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:31 amI have tried the free version of Audacity, and I also own WavePad Sound Editor, which seems to offer more features. I actually use WavePad for recording. I found that the noise cleaning feature (of both) actually increased the distortion problem a bit, so the recording overall sounded better without it. I am going to try a couple different microphones this weekend (the Blue Yeti that you recommended, as well as the Samson with the sound card interface) so that could change things quite a bit. Anyhow, its definitely fun to experiment.
yes good idea, try a bit all the options, and in the end you will find something that works for you. I hope you won't buy all those microphones though :shock: That would be a bit much just to "try out".
I see there are still several chapters that are unassigned. If you'd like to assign me more chapters at any point in time, I'd be happy to volunteer to continue reading. I didn't want to set aside more than two chapters initially in order to give others a chance to participate.
oh it is always first claimed that gets the assignement. The project has been around for some time already, so don't feel like the others didn't have a chance. Just tell me the section you like to record and I (or Todd) assign it to you :)

Have a nice weekend !

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

In that case, I will claim the last three chapters (23, 24 and 25). Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:59 am In that case, I will claim the last three chapters (23, 24 and 25). Thanks!
ahh you're impatient to know how it all ends ;) well, I sign you up to those. Thanks ! :D

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

May I claim Section 19?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Carmelea

Post by Carmelea »

Hello. I would like to read Chapter 15. Thanks!
“The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” ~ Eden Phillpotts
Carmelea

Post by Carmelea »

May I also read Chapter 14? Thanks.
“The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” ~ Eden Phillpotts
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, thank you. Both 14 and 15.

Todd
tolgangcrt

Post by tolgangcrt »

Seeing as it is as of yet unclaimed, Sign me up for chapter 18, please.
Thanks a lot!
Caleb
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd