[COMPLETE] The Future of the Women's Movement - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

mightyfelix wrote: February 7th, 2018, 8:33 pm
Availle wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am Here's preface and introduction, with a total time of 9:29

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_00_swanwick_128kb.mp3

I'll keep an eye on this - might be back for more later :wink:
Ava, I had a quick listen to the beginning of this, because I wanted to be sure that the chapter subheadings are all there.

Would you please add after "Preface" at about 0:37, the following (from the table of contents): "Homo—Human principles of government—Unscientific scientific men—Our masters"

Thank you so much! Sorry for the delay in adding my own notes. :) No rush, though.
New file is uploaded. New runtime: 9:38
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle wrote: February 18th, 2018, 6:07 am
mightyfelix wrote: February 7th, 2018, 8:33 pm
Availle wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am Here's preface and introduction, with a total time of 9:29

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_00_swanwick_128kb.mp3

I'll keep an eye on this - might be back for more later :wink:
Ava, I had a quick listen to the beginning of this, because I wanted to be sure that the chapter subheadings are all there.

Would you please add after "Preface" at about 0:37, the following (from the table of contents): "Homo—Human principles of government—Unscientific scientific men—Our masters"

Thank you so much! Sorry for the delay in adding my own notes. :) No rush, though.
New file is uploaded. New runtime: 9:38
Thank you. Now marked Ready for Spot PL
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Preface and Section 6 are PL OK!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Hello here is chapter 11. Total running time is 18:53

This is my first recording, I tried to edit but was a bit concerned that I would edit what I wanted to keep. I do not mind recording it over if necessary. I tried to remove noise issues.
Any feedback would be helpful for the next recording since I'm very new at this.

Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_11_swanwick_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Mmemari wrote: February 19th, 2018, 12:48 pm Hello here is chapter 11. Total running time is 18:53

This is my first recording, I tried to edit but was a bit concerned that I would edit what I wanted to keep. I do not mind recording it over if necessary. I tried to remove noise issues.
Any feedback would be helpful for the next recording since I'm very new at this.

Thank you!

Thank you, Mari! This is in the MW for PL.
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

I'd like to read/claim Chapter 12 - The Man's Woman: Womanly
Using the name Rhiannon Damon
Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

RhiannonD wrote: February 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm I'd like to read/claim Chapter 12 - The Man's Woman: Womanly
Using the name Rhiannon Damon
Thanks!
Thank you Rhiannon, and welcome to LibriVox! I see your one-minute test has already been given the ok, so you're all set! I've assigned you chapter 12. Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Let me also draw your attention to the table of contents in this book. You'll see that each chapter has a lengthy subtitle given after the chapter title. Please do include this subtitle in your reading. Thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Mmemari wrote: February 19th, 2018, 12:48 pm Hello here is chapter 11. Total running time is 18:53

Thank you!

Thanks for your first recording, Mari.

There is a lot to learn at the beginning, and getting all of the technical aspects in hand.

The main problem is the volume. I don't know if you got any comments about this in your test recording, but this whole reading comes in at over 99 dB, which is way above our target of 89 dB. (Since this a logarithmic scale rather than a linear scale, the difference is much more than it seems. But the real problem is that recording at this level results in a lot of distortion. You will see this in the wave form where the tops are cut off, and you should be able to hear it. So, even if you use the Amplify feature to bring the volume level down, the distortion still remains.

Achieving the right recording level is a combination of several factors -- who loud you speak, how close to the microphone you are, and the gain setting in your recording program. I tend to have my microphone further away and set my input gain higher, but if I move it closer, or talk louder, then I have to lower that setting.

We have some good tutorials on this in our LibriVox wikis. Just follow the links giving in the Newbie Guide . Phil Chenevert has done an excellent job on the videos for Audacity. There are two programs I recommend. One is ReplayGain, which is a plug in for Audacity. Once installed it is easy to use. When I've finished recording, I just run ReplayGain from the menu and it tells me how many dB i need to amplify it either up or down. I do that using he Amplify feature in Audacity The other program is called Checker. This is a small stand-alone program written specifically for LV. When you run a file through Checker, you will get a reading of he volume in dB and it also checks he other technical specifications. You can find links to both of these in the recording guide. (Sorry, I should have the links at my fingertips).

Before you make another long recording, I would make some adjustments in your recording set-up and make some more test recordings and check them until you get the settings correct. if you need some help, let me know and I'll do what I can. (You can PM me if necessary).

I didn't listen to the entire recording, but I did spot one other issue, Right about 3:52-55 there are several loud clicks. I don't know if these were introduced when editing or what, but these need to be eliminated. There is a similar click right at the beginning of the recording, and one in the ending silence. That silence should be only 5 seconds, and you have about 9, so that is something else to check before submitting a recording.

Stick with it, Mari, because once you have this part down, you can relax and enjoy the actual reading. :)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
daph

Post by daph »

mightyfelix wrote: February 13th, 2018, 10:19 am
daph wrote: February 13th, 2018, 10:11 am I would like to read chapter 5:) Thank you!
Welcome to LibriVox, Daph! I'm flattered that you should choose my little project for your first contribution! :D

I can hold chapter 5 for you, but before you get started, please complete your one minute test to be sure that your tech settings are all in place. There are instructions for how to do that test in the welcome email you should have received. Please let me know if I can help in any way! Looking forward to working with you!
Hi:) I have passed my 1 min test. May I start my recording for chapter 5?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

daph wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 7:02 am Hi:) I have passed my 1 min test. May I start my recording for chapter 5?
Wonderful! :clap: Yes, by all means, and enjoy! I will officially assign it to you as soon as I get the chance. Meantime, have at it!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Larry, thank you for your helpful feedback for Mari.

Mari, I'll also emphasize what Larry told you. Stick with it! It feels like there's simply so much to learn when you're new here and just starting to record that it can be overwhelming. Take it slow and steady, and I promise it will get easier with each subsequent recording. Please ask me (or Larry) if you need help. (The wiki Larry mentioned can be reached from the link at the very top of any page of the forum.) :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 10 is in the MW for PL.
ellutzab

Post by ellutzab »

Hello,

was wondering if it would be ok for me to read Chapter 4 - Physical Force. I've just read it, and oh boy does she deliver the goods!
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Thank you so much for the feedback!

I think since I am new at this I would like to try a shorter project for starts until I get the hang of it.
Although my recording test went well, I am having a problem with my computer, it makes a noise every so often when its been on too long. I think (in a addition to the volume issue, which I can fix) that may be the other problem you addressed, and the life of my battery is running out.

So until I can address that issue, can you please remove me from chapter (11), I would like to open it up to someone else. Also, before I take on another project, I would like to do another test for you to listen to (once my computer is ready) so you can let me know if I'm good to go.

Also, thank you so much for your encouragement. The feedback you provided is helpful as well as the newbie guide and tutorials. I will certainly keep trying.

-Mari
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Also, Thank you Mighty Felix and Larry too!