[COMPLETE] The Future of the Women's Movement - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I would like to claim chapter 9.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great! It looks like that makes us full!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here's Chapter 7 The Economic Problem: (1) The Wage-Earner
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_07_swanwick_128kb.mp3 (15:58)
It really is amazing how many problems discussed here still exist in today's economy. Man, (I mean Woman), we still have a long way to go.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

benderca wrote: April 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm Here's Chapter 7 The Economic Problem: (1) The Wage-Earner
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_07_swanwick_128kb.mp3 (15:58)
It really is amazing how many problems discussed here still exist in today's economy. Man, (I mean Woman), we still have a long way to go.
Thank you! IN the MW for PL. :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

benderca wrote: April 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm Here's Chapter 7 The Economic Problem: (1) The Wage-Earner
This came in at 91.9 dB, right at the top of our volume range, but PL OK.
~ Larry
benderca

Post by benderca »

silverquill wrote: April 12th, 2018, 9:28 pm This came in at 91.9 dB, right at the top of our volume range, but PL OK.
I can lower the volume. What would you like? 89 or 90 dB?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

benderca wrote: April 15th, 2018, 7:25 am
silverquill wrote: April 12th, 2018, 9:28 pm This came in at 91.9 dB, right at the top of our volume range, but PL OK.
I can lower the volume. What would you like? 89 or 90 dB?
Our target is 89 with a range of 86-92, is it is in range, but if you want to bring it closer to 89, that's fine.
~ Larry
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

Thank you so much! I did not have the Checker downloaded and that was a big help! I hope things are proper this time, but of course will make adjustments if needed. So, here is chapter 12 with volume adjusted and hopefully better ending. Thanks again :)

silverquill wrote: April 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm
RhiannonD wrote: April 6th, 2018, 8:11 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_12_swanwick_128kb.mp3

Chapter 12 is read. I'm still figuring out how to edit and making sure the volume level is ok. Please let me know if there is anything I shoulder adjust and I will do so as soon as possible. Thanks!
This is nicely read!

The only issue is that your volume is quite a bit too high, at 94.8 dB. The LV target is 89 dB, with a range of 86-92 dB. You might use the little program written specifically for LV called Checker. It is very easy to use -- just drag your file over and you will get a check on al LV specs including the actual volume. You can find it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

For this file, in Audacity, select the Amplification feature, and select a value of -5 and it will be very close to our target.

The other program I use is a plugin for Audacity is ReplayGain, which can be found here: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php

One it is installed, just run it from the Analyze menu and it will tell you how many dB up or down you need to amplify.

Oh, one last thing -- you need FIVE seconds of silence at the end, and you have only one. Your outro is much lower in volume and just sounds jarring the way it is tacked on. You may not be able to change that, so don't worry -- just thought I'd mention it.

Adjust the volume, add the needed seconds at the end, then upload the corrected file (use the same name) and post the link here again with the new file length. (I've entered the length for this file -- something else Checker will tell you, but you can also get this from Audacity).

Thanks for the nice reading. :thumbs:
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you! I think all necessary updates to the MW have been made. Let me know if I missed something.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RhiannonD wrote: April 16th, 2018, 8:47 am Thank you so much! I did not have the Checker downloaded and that was a big help! I hope things are proper this time, but of course will make adjustments if needed. So, here is chapter 12 with volume adjusted and hopefully better ending. Thanks again :)
Now PL OK!
Thanks.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ciufi wrote: April 16th, 2018, 11:48 am Here's Chapter 9 (15:28):
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_09_swanwick_128kb.mp3
Thank you for another fine recording! :clap:
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

After a friendly nudge from Ava :wink: , I've turned my attention back to this book. I hadn't realized we had multiple claims that were over two months old. So I've orphaned sections 5 and 15. Also, sections 11 and 14 were waiting on edits, and we haven't heard from those readers in awhile. I'm afraid I may have scared Mari off! :oops: So I've taken it upon myself to normalize the volume on those two and re-upload. I'd like to be able to use what those readers have provided, if possible, even if they're not around to see it. I know that chapter 11 is missing the chapter subheadings. I thought perhaps I could put those in with my voice. It might sound strange, but not too jarring, I hope. What do you think, Larry?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I was waiting for the upload for Section 11. I saw it in the MW and so did the PL before I read your note above. Here are the PL Notes below. If necessary, I think I could take care of most of them which are things to be cut out. So let me know, and I'll work on it. Then if you want to add headings, that's fine.

I guess in retrospect, I should have done the PL anyway. I just thought she could do some of the more obvious edits first.

Around 3:53-5 there are some clicks in the pause that can be cut out
And at 6:00 another
6:27 stumble “conviviality”
9:00 another bump
9:31 stumble “furniture dealer”
10:03 another click
11:31 click
12:56 repeat “he is sent’
13:24 forward -- entire phrase repeated “Who can doubt that when women know these things and are admitted to full citizenship”
18:01 stumble “from the war-departments”
18:16 stumble on phrase, ‘not on the use men may make of this wonderful discovery”
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 14 is PL OK.
I filtered out the hum the best I could and uploaded the file. Still not the best audio quality, but well read and meeting LV standards.
~ Larry