[non-fiction] The Romance of Modern Invention by Williams -ck

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
silverquill
Posts: 7279
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » July 16th, 2018, 7:21 am

bkhendrick wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I have uploaded section 7 for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_07_williams_128kb.mp3 37:30

Thanks, Kirk
Good reading, Kirk.
There are some banging noises in the background throughout, but only one thing that I think needs attention.
At about 20:46, I heard, "and cee, and cee." The text there at the end of that sentence is "&c &c," true enough but "&c" is an abbreviation for "etcetera" so the reading should be, "etcetera, etcetera." I think it is okay to read some abbreviations as the are writing, such is "ie" instead of either its full Latin or its English translation, since this has crept into modern English usage (as somewhat of an oddity, I think), but "and cee" really doesn't communicate anything, whereas "etcetera" does. This is not extremely critical, but it is an easy change to make and one that I think will make this more intelligible.

Thanks for your fine reading!

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 38416
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » July 16th, 2018, 8:42 am

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin

Foon
Posts: 1270
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » July 19th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Hi Carolin,
I'll adopt that poor orphan called Lighting! (22)
Foon - Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Biscuits and Bills (One-Act Comedy) || Arabian Nights (Vol. 9) || Bumper the White Rabbit & Friends (Children)
TS Eliot Poems || Suppressed Poems of Lord Tennyson

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 38416
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » July 19th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Excellent, thank you :thumbs:
Carolin

bkhendrick
Posts: 15
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 9:36 am

Post by bkhendrick » July 22nd, 2018, 6:48 am

Thank you for your listening and feedback. I hesitated when recording this and should have asked when I encountered it. I have made the correction here for your review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_07_williams_128kb.mp3 37:30

Thanks, Kirk


silverquill wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 7:21 am
bkhendrick wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I have uploaded section 7 for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_07_williams_128kb.mp3 37:30

Thanks, Kirk
Good reading, Kirk.
There are some banging noises in the background throughout, but only one thing that I think needs attention.
At about 20:46, I heard, "and cee, and cee." The text there at the end of that sentence is "&c &c," true enough but "&c" is an abbreviation for "etcetera" so the reading should be, "etcetera, etcetera." I think it is okay to read some abbreviations as the are writing, such is "ie" instead of either its full Latin or its English translation, since this has crept into modern English usage (as somewhat of an oddity, I think), but "and cee" really doesn't communicate anything, whereas "etcetera" does. This is not extremely critical, but it is an easy change to make and one that I think will make this more intelligible.

Thanks for your fine reading!

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 38416
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » July 22nd, 2018, 10:44 pm

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin

daddo
Posts: 8
Joined: July 19th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Location: Australia

Post by daddo » July 26th, 2018, 5:30 am

Hiya! I see that the first section, Wireless Telegraphy, has been orphaned, so I'd like to claim it please!
Also this will be my first LibriVox recording, and I'd like to be appear in the catalogue under my actual name: Kobe Dadd.

Cheers!

Foon
Posts: 1270
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » July 26th, 2018, 9:41 am

Hi Carolin (or anyone else, for that matter)

In section 22, there is a table presenting the cost of producing light. It has two columns which are called "s." and "d.", but as far as I can tell, it doesn't specify anywhere what those letters mean. Any suggestions on how I should read that?
Foon - Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Biscuits and Bills (One-Act Comedy) || Arabian Nights (Vol. 9) || Bumper the White Rabbit & Friends (Children)
TS Eliot Poems || Suppressed Poems of Lord Tennyson

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 38416
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » July 26th, 2018, 10:59 am

daddo wrote:
July 26th, 2018, 5:30 am
Hiya! I see that the first section, Wireless Telegraphy, has been orphaned, so I'd like to claim it please!
Also this will be my first LibriVox recording, and I'd like to be appear in the catalogue under my actual name: Kobe Dadd.

Cheers!
hi kobe, welcome to librivox! you are welcome to read that section. I have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12668

i see you have already completed your one minute test, so you are all set and ready to get started!
Carolin

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 38416
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » July 26th, 2018, 11:01 am

Foon wrote:
July 26th, 2018, 9:41 am
Hi Carolin (or anyone else, for that matter)

In section 22, there is a table presenting the cost of producing light. It has two columns which are called "s." and "d.", but as far as I can tell, it doesn't specify anywhere what those letters mean. Any suggestions on how I should read that?
hiya, thank you for the question. those are abbreviations for coins: s is for shilling, and d is for penny :) not super logical but well..
Carolin

Foon
Posts: 1270
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » July 26th, 2018, 11:10 am

Ahhh brilliant. I started off guessing that s was shilling, but I couldn't for the life of me think of something with a d... OF COURSE it was penny :roll:

Thanks Carolin, I'll get you that section soon :)
Foon - Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Biscuits and Bills (One-Act Comedy) || Arabian Nights (Vol. 9) || Bumper the White Rabbit & Friends (Children)
TS Eliot Poems || Suppressed Poems of Lord Tennyson

Foon
Posts: 1270
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » July 27th, 2018, 9:11 am

Foon - Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Biscuits and Bills (One-Act Comedy) || Arabian Nights (Vol. 9) || Bumper the White Rabbit & Friends (Children)
TS Eliot Poems || Suppressed Poems of Lord Tennyson

silverquill
Posts: 7279
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » July 27th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Foon wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 9:11 am
Hi Carolin,

Here's section 22:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_22_williams_128kb.mp3
23:33
Thanks for the ending chapter!
PL OK

silverquill
Posts: 7279
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » July 27th, 2018, 1:00 pm

bkhendrick wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 6:48 am
Thank you for your listening and feedback. I hesitated when recording this and should have asked when I encountered it. I have made the correction here for your review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_07_williams_128kb.mp3 37:30

Thanks, Kirk

Well, there should have been two "etcetera's" there, but one is fine.
This is a very nice recording and I hope you will do a lot more for LibriVox!!
PL OK

gharding14
Posts: 2
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:35 am

Post by gharding14 » July 27th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Hi Carolin,

I would like to take the Horseless Carriages - Types of Car - Chapter 16 on. My maiden voyage.

Let me know if it is good to go.

Thanks,

Gary Harding
Halesite, NY
[Email address removed by admin]

Post Reply