COMPLETE The Romance of Modern Invention by Williams -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

bkhendrick wrote: July 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm I have uploaded section 7 for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_07_williams_128kb.mp3 37:30

Thanks, Kirk
Good reading, Kirk.
There are some banging noises in the background throughout, but only one thing that I think needs attention.
At about 20:46, I heard, "and cee, and cee." The text there at the end of that sentence is "&c &c," true enough but "&c" is an abbreviation for "etcetera" so the reading should be, "etcetera, etcetera." I think it is okay to read some abbreviations as the are writing, such is "ie" instead of either its full Latin or its English translation, since this has crept into modern English usage (as somewhat of an oddity, I think), but "and cee" really doesn't communicate anything, whereas "etcetera" does. This is not extremely critical, but it is an easy change to make and one that I think will make this more intelligible.

Thanks for your fine reading!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Carolin,
I'll adopt that poor orphan called Lighting! (22)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Excellent, thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
bkhendrick

Post by bkhendrick »

Thank you for your listening and feedback. I hesitated when recording this and should have asked when I encountered it. I have made the correction here for your review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_07_williams_128kb.mp3 37:30

Thanks, Kirk

silverquill wrote: July 16th, 2018, 7:21 am
bkhendrick wrote: July 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm I have uploaded section 7 for review.

Thanks, Kirk
Good reading, Kirk.
There are some banging noises in the background throughout, but only one thing that I think needs attention.
At about 20:46, I heard, "and cee, and cee." The text there at the end of that sentence is "&c &c," true enough but "&c" is an abbreviation for "etcetera" so the reading should be, "etcetera, etcetera." I think it is okay to read some abbreviations as the are writing, such is "ie" instead of either its full Latin or its English translation, since this has crept into modern English usage (as somewhat of an oddity, I think), but "and cee" really doesn't communicate anything, whereas "etcetera" does. This is not extremely critical, but it is an easy change to make and one that I think will make this more intelligible.

Thanks for your fine reading!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
daddo

Post by daddo »

Hiya! I see that the first section, Wireless Telegraphy, has been orphaned, so I'd like to claim it please!
Also this will be my first LibriVox recording, and I'd like to be appear in the catalogue under my actual name: Kobe Dadd.

Cheers!
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Carolin (or anyone else, for that matter)

In section 22, there is a table presenting the cost of producing light. It has two columns which are called "s." and "d.", but as far as I can tell, it doesn't specify anywhere what those letters mean. Any suggestions on how I should read that?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

daddo wrote: July 26th, 2018, 5:30 am Hiya! I see that the first section, Wireless Telegraphy, has been orphaned, so I'd like to claim it please!
Also this will be my first LibriVox recording, and I'd like to be appear in the catalogue under my actual name: Kobe Dadd.

Cheers!
hi kobe, welcome to librivox! you are welcome to read that section. I have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12668

i see you have already completed your one minute test, so you are all set and ready to get started!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Foon wrote: July 26th, 2018, 9:41 am Hi Carolin (or anyone else, for that matter)

In section 22, there is a table presenting the cost of producing light. It has two columns which are called "s." and "d.", but as far as I can tell, it doesn't specify anywhere what those letters mean. Any suggestions on how I should read that?
hiya, thank you for the question. those are abbreviations for coins: s is for shilling, and d is for penny :) not super logical but well..
Carolin
Foon

Post by Foon »

Ahhh brilliant. I started off guessing that s was shilling, but I couldn't for the life of me think of something with a d... OF COURSE it was penny :roll:

Thanks Carolin, I'll get you that section soon :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Readers needed:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Foon wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:11 am Hi Carolin,

Here's section 22:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/moderninvention_22_williams_128kb.mp3
23:33
Thanks for the ending chapter!
PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

bkhendrick wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 6:48 am Thank you for your listening and feedback. I hesitated when recording this and should have asked when I encountered it. I have made the correction here for your review.

Thanks, Kirk

Well, there should have been two "etcetera's" there, but one is fine.
This is a very nice recording and I hope you will do a lot more for LibriVox!!
PL OK
~ Larry
gharding14

Post by gharding14 »

Hi Carolin,

I would like to take the Horseless Carriages - Types of Car - Chapter 16 on. My maiden voyage.

Let me know if it is good to go.

Thanks,

Gary Harding
Halesite, NY
[Email address removed by admin]