[COMPLETE]World's Story 1: China, Japan, Islands of the Pacific - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: January 19th, 2018, 7:49 am No, no honorable sugar anymore :wink: Language changes, so people are "just" formal these days. Besides, I would be the customer, talking "down" to the server, so there's no need for me to either humble myself or to use honorifics towards the server. Yes, those are two special ways of being polite in Japanese, besides the standard way of being formal ("Sie" vs. "Du" in German). Terrible language. I'll never be finished with it.

Besides, sugar in green tea? How horrible! :shock: (Green tea latte is different. But that one's usually sweetened already. :mrgreen: )
some "honourable milk" then :mrgreen:

aha but ok, I get it, the language has loosened up nowadays. Well I thought maybe in the real traditional tea houses with geishas and all that.

Well, weekend has just started for me, so have a good one, everybody :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty wrote: January 19th, 2018, 7:54 am aha but ok, I get it, the language has loosened up nowadays. Well I thought maybe in the real traditional tea houses with geishas and all that.
Well you still use the humble/honorific language when speaking to the big boss or the university president or the prime minister or somebody like that. Edit: Yes, even to a guest in a teahouse :wink:

As for the traditional tea houses with geisha and all that:
Not that I have any experience with these sort of things... but as far as I understand, they mostly serve alcohol ;-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:As for the traditional tea houses with geisha and all that:
Not that I have any experience with these sort of things... but as far as I understand, they mostly serve alcohol ;-)
:shock: what's the world coming to ?

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 128: completed.
Duration: 13:52
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_128_tappan_128kb.mp3

I think that the convict described anonymously in the account might be Thomas Barrett: http://www.artinsociety.com/colonial-artist-thief-forger-and-mutineer-thomas-barretts-amazing-career.html

"Thomas Barrett packed a lot of crime into his life-- multiple theft, forgery and even mutiny – and was sentenced to death three times. But the reason that we know about him today is because of an extraordinary four week period in his life – the period between the unexpected creation of his first artwork, a prized engraving recently sold for $750,000, and his untimely death at the age of only 30. Within that tiny timespan, surely the shortest artistic career on record, Barrett became not only the first colonial artist in Australia, but also the first person to be hanged in the infant colony."

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:I think that the convict described anonymously in the account might be Thomas Barrett: http://www.artinsociety.com/colonial-artist-thief-forger-and-mutineer-thomas-barretts-amazing-career.html

"Thomas Barrett packed a lot of crime into his life-- multiple theft, forgery and even mutiny – and was sentenced to death three times. But the reason that we know about him today is because of an extraordinary four week period in his life – the period between the unexpected creation of his first artwork, a prized engraving recently sold for $750,000, and his untimely death at the age of only 30. Within that tiny timespan, surely the shortest artistic career on record, Barrett became not only the first colonial artist in Australia, but also the first person to be hanged in the infant colony."
how interesting ! thanks for sharing, Chris. Trust Australia to hang their artists :roll: :mrgreen:

Also thank you for your section, I'm looking forward to hearing this with the genuine convicts' descendant's accent ;) (but first: breakfast)

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2018, 3:09 am (but first: breakfast)
Have I taught you nothing?! It's "brekkie". :lol:

And I hope it is steak-and-eggs.

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 21st, 2018, 3:19 am Have I taught you nothing?! It's "brekkie". :lol:
And I hope it is steak-and-eggs.
:lol: no, it was traditional breakfast for me, hence no need to use the Aussie term ;)

Wonderful reading Chris, I enjoyed every minute of the voyage. I really felt myself moved back in time, living this crossing with the convicts. And when you describe the first view of Sydney Bay, I can really hear the emotion and pride in your voice there. :9: It must have been something to see it back then.

I had to laugh at Australia being a "dumping ground" for convicts now that America is out of the picture :lol:

One thing only startled me enormously: I always thought they would make the crossing over the Cape Horn in South America, especially because they landed on the South East Coast of Australia. The author mentioned Rio as midway stop, so I thought I was correct, but then they seem to sail to Cape of Good Hope :shock: and I thought "huh ?" Why sail over the entire Atlantic to South America, only to cross the Atlantic again to Africa, and then you would be first in West Australia, so why not land there for the colony ? :hmm: It made no sense to me. If they wanted to cross by South Africa, they could have taken the short and less dangerous way of sailing along the European and African West Coast.

Well, be it as it may, the text itself is perfect, I only would like you do to one simple correction:

> at 0:42-0:48 - title need not be repeated. You can cut out the version you prefer.

thank you Chris, for taking on this section.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Well, that’s what comes of looking at the Mercator Projection of the world. Look at a globe of the world, and the Tenerife to Rio leg isn’t such a big hop.

The passage around Cape Horn was no joke back in the old days.

And then around the dreaded Horn,
Where ships were lost, and legends born

If you went round the Cape of Good Hope, you could strike south and pick up the “Roaring Forties”, which were strong winds at 40 degrees south latitude, blowing towards the east, which would blow you all the way to Australia.

We still have the original anchor of the Sirius. http://www.cityartsydney.com.au/artwork/sirius-anchor/
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 21st, 2018, 4:55 am Well, that’s what comes of looking at the Mercator Projection of the world. Look at a globe of the world, and the Tenerife to Rio leg isn’t such a big hop.
ok maybe, I was looking at the globe of google maps just now. Indeed South Africa to Botany Bay is about the same distance than South America to Botany Bay. And probably the Pacific was a much rougher crossing than the Indian Ocean. I still think sailing along the African Coast may have been easier and shorter. But maybe they were hostile countries back in those days ;) needs to be taken into consideration.
If you went round the Cape of Good Hope, you could strike south and pick up the “Roaring Forties”, which were strong winds at 40 degrees south latitude, blowing towards the east, which would blow you all the way to Australia.
good point, the winds are probably crucial for such an undertaking. Well, thanks for clarifying.
We still have the original anchor of the Sirius. http://www.cityartsydney.com.au/artwork/sirius-anchor/
:shock: is it raining in Sydney on that day ?!!!

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 108, An Incense Party, is 11:32.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_108_tappan_128kb.mp3

I quite enjoyed this section! I feel so relaxed and tranquil just reading about it!

Also, I want to host one of these parties now!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote:I quite enjoyed this section! I feel so relaxed and tranquil just reading about it!
why not ? You could organize one for the neighbourhood. Looking forward to hearing this section, but for the moment I wanted to finish editing a chapter of my solo, so I probably only PL it tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much :9:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“An Incense Party”

Devorah thought she must’ve gotten hold of some bad sandalwood, until she realised that she was in the German poetry collection, looking at Fraktur...

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote:Section 108, An Incense Party, is 11:32.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_108_tappan_128kb.mp3
I quite enjoyed this section! I feel so relaxed and tranquil just reading about it!
your sections is flawlessly narrated, Devorah :thumbs: thanks so much for this entertaining insight into Japanese culture. Although I am not sure I would like such a party. My nose seems to be very sensitive, and the thought of inhaling a medley of 4 different and very penetrant smoky fragrances in a closed room for a long time doesn't sound too appealing to me. I'm probably too "western" as the author mentioned ;)

PL ok, in any case :9:

Sonia
Nicky504

Post by Nicky504 »

Kitty wrote: January 14th, 2018, 2:43 am
Nicky504 wrote:Hi, I use Audacity. I tried to fix the volume and bitrate.
Here is the reupload: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_094_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you, this section is now PL ok. :thumbs: And congratulations for being the person who finished the 100th section in this project :clap:
I have section 79 too. https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_079_tappan_128kb.mp3
Time 9:43
Do you think I should rerecord this due to the flow?
I noticed some difference in sound near the end of the section, but no need to re-record. The difference is startling a little bit in the first sentence when it happens, but then the listener gets used to to the new sound and all is well till the end. There is a bit of a rumbling background noise in some sentences, like water flowing through pipes maybe ? :hmm: But also not so disturbing than to warrant a re-record. Maybe you could check the source of that noise though and try to lessen it in your next recordings, if possible,

I only have a few notes which you would need to correct:

> at 0:21: for the longer sections we need the full disclaimer and you forgot a part of it: please insert: "The World’s Story, Volume I: China, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific, edited by Eva March Tappan. Section 79" and then start with the title and story

> at 4:15: (p. 236) "the Hermit Kingdom" - I hear "Kermit", maybe it's better to correct that on, it sounds a bit funny :mrgreen: wouldn't want to offend anybody

> at 5:26: (p. 236) stumble and repeat "innovations", that stumble part can easily be cut out without a re-read.

thank you Nicky ! good job again.

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

I recorded 79 again. Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_079_tappan_128kb.mp3
The new time is 9:07

Thank you,
Nicky
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Nicky504 wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am I recorded 79 again. Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_079_tappan_128kb.mp3
The new time is 9:07
wait, did you re-record the whole thing again ? :shock: that was really not necessary. Usually we only edit the errors, possibly re-record a sentence or two to make it fit in better. Chances are high the new recording may have other errors, so it's preferable and less time-consuming for all involved, to just spot correct. You really didn't have many errors to begin with and spot correcting would have been easy.

Also it's almost 40 seconds shorter now, even though the disclaimer should have been longer. :hmm:

Please confirm if it's a totally new recording, because then I have to prooflisten to the entire section once more.

Sonia