[Complete] The Mysteries of London Vol.3 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
April
craigdav1 wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 5:02 pm 87, 95 PL OK.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:thumbs:
Lynnet wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 4:37 pm
adr6090 wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mysteriesoflondonvol3_087_reynolds_128kb.mp3 time 23:58
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mysteriesoflondonvol3_095_reynolds_128kb.mp3 time 17:12

Above are 2 more sections. :)
Let me know if there is something that needs editing.
Thank you,
Thank you
April
GreenEggs1700

Post by GreenEggs1700 »

Hello,

I would like to read section 74 and 75.

question for section 75. Do I stop reading at "It was now late; and the Snammer took his leave of Josh Pedler and Matilda Briggs, having promised to call again next day, and arrange with the former the contemplated robbery of Old Death." or would I include the "sub-notes" below?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GreenEggs1700 wrote: July 24th, 2018, 12:04 pm Hello,

I would like to read section 74 and 75.

question for section 75. Do I stop reading at "It was now late; and the Snammer took his leave of Josh Pedler and Matilda Briggs, having promised to call again next day, and arrange with the former the contemplated robbery of Old Death." or would I include the "sub-notes" below?
Thank you for claiming.
You do not read the notes at the end, so yes, stop after "It was now late; and the Snammer took his leave of Josh Pedler and Matilda Briggs, having promised to call again next day, and arrange with the former the contemplated robbery of Old Death."

As you have claimed both sections, you do not need to make the break between the sections where I suggested if there is somewhere more appropriate. Just make a note here when you submit the file, so Dave knows what to expect when he PLs. Please also note that each section can be no longer than about 72 minutes. If you run it through Checker, it will fail if it is over 60 minutes, but you can ignore that :D
DoktorOktagon

Post by DoktorOktagon »

Greetings LibriVox community! I am new at this whole thing and am wanting to get involved. I've listened to some of this series and I want to read. I have ordered a microphone and should get it within the week.

How exactly do I score a section to read? And how to send it back in once complete? I read through the general instructions and got lost in the minutia.

Thanks for the assistance

Dok
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DoktorOktagon wrote: July 30th, 2018, 5:42 pm Greetings LibriVox community! I am new at this whole thing and am wanting to get involved. I've listened to some of this series and I want to read. I have ordered a microphone and should get it within the week.

How exactly do I score a section to read? And how to send it back in once complete? I read through the general instructions and got lost in the minutia.

Thanks for the assistance

Dok
Welcome!
The first step is to do a one minute test, which is a kind of sound check. The details are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaRY_-bcfs

The folks in the Listeners Wanted forum will listen and guide you if things aren't quite right.
Once you've got the OK, you can browse the Readers Wanted forums and see if there's anything you like the look of. A couple of tips: for a first recording, 1000 words is a good length. Many people successfully read longer... but many more become overwhelmed. 1000 words is just under 10 minutes of finished recording.... and you need to allow about three times as long as the recording for editing until you streamline your method. Also, the language in children's books tends to be simpler. Of course, totally your choice.

Once you've selected the project, find a section that doesn't have someone's name beside it and post in the thread "I like to claim section X".

A couple more videos you might find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i3FwSuzOMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB57z2l5LtA&list=UUg82GZ8Dap4MDbXpYuF06qA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QpD1vAJkY

If you need more help, you can look in the wiki (guide for listeners and volunteers) at the top of the page, or just ask.
forgeworkmedia

Post by forgeworkmedia »

I would like to claim 89 and 90 :) hope thats okay!

This is my first recording I dont mind going by Shane Amyotte
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

forgeworkmedia wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 5:18 am I would like to claim 89 and 90 :) hope thats okay!

This is my first recording I dont mind going by Shane Amyotte
Welcome, Shane.

There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you now. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will see your own personal catalog page.
Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
takaeha

Post by takaeha »

Hello, may I please assigned to read section 91? Thank you so much for considering me. I have recorded in the past but this would be my first full section with both Librivox and Audacity.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

takaeha wrote: August 8th, 2018, 2:39 pm Hello, may I please assigned to read section 91? Thank you so much for considering me. I have recorded in the past but this would be my first full section with both Librivox and Audacity.
Hi and welcome
I will certainly assign that section, but I strongly advise you to wait for feedback on your test before proceeding.
If you need help with Audacity, please ask.
takaeha

Post by takaeha »

Thank you very much! I checked out my local makerspace with recording booth this weekend and found the environment more conducive to preventing ambient noise from the very beginning of the process. They use an AT cardioid condenser for their setup but I am welcome to bring in my laptop/Blue Yeti USB. I will test them both in that space and probably submit a minute test from the sound booth, instead of attempting to clean the one I did at home. I am fairly confident this will yield a more pleasing result. Thanks again!

Have a lovely day :)

Takaeha
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

takaeha wrote: August 15th, 2018, 11:17 am Thank you very much! I checked out my local makerspace with recording booth this weekend and found the environment more conducive to preventing ambient noise from the very beginning of the process. They use an AT cardioid condenser for their setup but I am welcome to bring in my laptop/Blue Yeti USB. I will test them both in that space and probably submit a minute test from the sound booth, instead of attempting to clean the one I did at home. I am fairly confident this will yield a more pleasing result. Thanks again!

Have a lovely day :)

Takaeha
If that is what you are comfortable with, that's fine. But I looked at Lynda's comments on your test, and she only suggests what most of us do with every file anyway. There's a good chance you would still have to it, even recording in a different place.
The silence at the beginning and end are necessary, as some players cut off part of the recording. Lack of silence also causes files to fail our technical checks.
As for the settings, what she says is correct... again, we have requirements we have to meet for our host server; but once you have set them, they should stay set unless you change them.

That just leaves the noise cleaning, and most of us have to run noise cleaning on every file anyway (although it is a good idea to minimize it at the outset)
GillH

Post by GillH »

I see there are a couple of "expired" sections. If anyone's struggling to get these done, I have time. I really enjoyed this book.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GillH wrote: September 12th, 2018, 3:14 pm I see there are a couple of "expired" sections. If anyone's struggling to get these done, I have time. I really enjoyed this book.
Thank you, Gill. I will reassign 81 and 83 to you. Philip has been dealing with health issues and has been forced to take a break. I was holding on in case he was able to come back before today.