COMPLETE [SS] Household Tales, by the Brothers Grimm - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Household Tales by Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm (1785 - 1863). Translated by Margaret Hunt (1831 - 1912)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/household-tales-by-jacob-wilhelm-grimm/
The complete Brothers Grimm stories (over 200 of them!) as translated directly from the German. Some of the stories will be familiar such as Little Red-Cap, Rapunzel, and Cinderella. Other tales are less well known such as The Old Man Made Young Again, The Devil's Sooty Brother and The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was. <br><br>Content Note for Parents: some of these stories do not flinch from dark themes. For example, in this version of Cinderella birds peck out the eyes of the wicked stepsisters! These are mostly intended to be moral stories, so for each happy ending there is one such as "and he died and has remained dead to this day." (Summary by Beth Thomas)

Note for readers: Most of these stories are quite short but there are a few very long ones. Stories with potentially objectionable content are noted in the MW as I find them but I offer no guarantees!

Also, please note we have a German-speaking DPL! If you would like help or constructive criticism on the German names or pronunciation please ask! If you don't ask, we will assume you've already given it your best shot and are not interested in pronunciation correction.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5314
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Special - German pronunciation help as needed!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Story [number] of Household Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Household Tales, by Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm. Translated by Margaret Hunt [Story Title]"

Please use the English story title as it appears above the story text, omit the German title as it appears in the table of contents.

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Story Number]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Household Tales, by Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm. Translated by Margaret Hunt"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      householdtales_###_grimm_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the THREE DIGIT section number
      (e.g. householdtales_001_grimm_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Elizabby on June 7th, 2017, 5:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd like to read number 2, Cat and Mouse in Partnership, please.

I tawt I taw a puddy tat ... I did, I did taw a puddy tat! ... but not for long.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

There is your MW Beth, let me know if you need anything else. :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks David! I'm filling in the MW now, but it might take me a while to get all the word counts in!

Also, please note that I tend to adjust the summary as the project goes along and only finalise it right at the end.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I'll watch for the final summary, all we need now is a DPL. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Beth

what's funny is that I am currently DPLing a Solo reading of the original German tales (all 220 of them). So I already know how disturbing some of them are. With some I really got a shock at the surprise ending (as a warning: Frau Trude got to me big time).

But yes, I could also help PLing here, I understand you want a shared DPL job ? How do you plan to do that ? One does the odd, one the even numbers ? :hmm:

Also, I'd like to claim: 22. The Riddle. I know that from childhood and it always fascinated me for some reason. Will probably claim mmore later on, but let's start small.

Oh I can also help with the German pronunciations of course. I can do sound files if people are interested. Just PM me in that case.

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oh, I just thought it would be daunting for someone to take on 220 sections, so I was going to offer to help with the PLing. It's up to you though - if you can manage it all and you're happy to do it, I'm happy for you to DPL it all and I'll just PL your files.

You're in for section 22!

Yes, I noticed as I was doing the word counts that an awful lot of them ended with (more or less) "and everyone who deserved it died horribly..." :shock:

(Although I had a feeling "The Mouse, The Bird and the Sausage" wasn't going to end well for the sausage, at least! The only surprise there was that the sausage got eaten by a dog!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Oh, I just thought it would be daunting for someone to take on 220 sections, so I was going to offer to help with the PLing. It's up to you though - if you can manage it all and you're happy to do it, I'm happy for you to DPL it all and I'll just PL your files.
hmm ok, I don't mind if you put me in as DPL. In case 20 or 30 sections come in at the same time, I might ask some help from you though ;)
Yes, I noticed as I was doing the word counts that an awful lot of them ended with (more or less) "and everyone who deserved it died horribly..." :shock:
well I didn't so much mind the deaths, if I am prepared for them, but the shock that I didn't expect this twist in Frau Trude gave me a heart-leap. If you read it, you'll know what I mean.
(Although I had a feeling "The Mouse, The Bird and the Sausage" wasn't going to end well for the sausage, at least! The only surprise there was that the sausage got eaten by a dog!)
:lol:

Ok let the fun begin. I am curious how similar the tales are to the German original. I have already PLed 75 of those, so I can compare quite a lot already.

Also, do you want me to correct German pronunciations or should I not mention anything ?

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Once you get MW access, maybe put a suggested pronunciation in for some of the difficult names. I'll put a note in the first post that we have a German speaking DPL and that if people would like ConCrit on their German they should ask for it - otherwise we can assume they've already given it their best shot!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Once you get MW access, maybe put a suggested pronunciation in for some of the difficult names. I'll put a note in the first post that we have a German speaking DPL and that if people would like ConCrit on their German they should ask for it - otherwise we can assume they've already given it their best shot!
ok, can do that :)

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

How should we pronounce Jakob and Wilhelm?
Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote:How should we pronounce Jakob and Wilhelm?
Peter
Well, if you like to listen to an authentic German pronunciation, I could refer you to Peter’s (yes, another Peter) reading of the same tales in German, currently to be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62523

If you listen to Section 2: Katze und Maus in Gesellschaft (which is your tale ;) ) you can hear him say the names almost at the beginning, he says: „Abschnitt 2 von Kinder- und Hausmärchen von Jakob und Wilhelm Grimm“ and you can hear the names quite clearly. :)

Sonia
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Welcome Sonia, you should have access to the MW as DPL.
Moving us over to Short Works.
David Lawrence

pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

I would like sections 12, 26, 39, 55, 200 if I may

Also, my eyes might be passing over it, but is Tom Thumb a part of this collection? If it is and I'm overlooking it, can you also put me down for that one as well?
Thank you!!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for the pronunciation pointer, Sonia.

Here's story 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_002_grimm_128kb.mp3

(6.50)

pjcsaville:

Tom Thumb is Thumbling in stories 37-45 (I think 45 is the last one).

Peter