COMPLETE Jane Austen, by WH Helm-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mdevere

Post by mdevere »

Chapter 6 reader here.

I got different volume readings when I checked it, and it's a little too loud for me when I listen. So I'm going to leave the volume alone unless the MC wants me to change it.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

It's tricky to judge volume by listening alone, because it depends on how high your speakers are set. Kristen listens to a lot of sections as PLer and so has a good sense of the relative volume of different files. If she has to turn up her volume to hear a file, that tells me that it's relatively lower in volume than the other sections in the project that she has listened to. We use MP3Gain and ReplayGain to judge volume by decibles to take speaker volume settings out of the mix.

We are looking for consistent volume between files - if one is relatively soft, a listener may turn up the volume on their player, only to have an audio shock when the next section starts to play at a higher volume. That's why we target 89 dB and ask people to submit files between 87 and 91 dB.

I have the ability to adjust most files* up or down to about 89 dB during cataloging, so I will take care of the adjustment on this file.

MaryAnn

*The volume adjustment embedded in the cataloging process will not work if increasing volume will cause clipping; in that case, a manual adjustment of volume is the only way to amplify a relatively soft file.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm trouble shooting my microphone at the moment, so this is a short section to check it before I record an hour and find it has static all through it! :roll: (I've done that once already, so I may be a slow learner but I can learn!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/janeausten_07_helm_128kb.mp3 (4:57)
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Chapter 7 is PL OK, and sounded great! No static at all that I heard.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I haven't forgotten about this project! Section 2 is recorded, finally, but I still need to edit it. I think the mic is behaving now, at least!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

This was such a huge file I've had a lot of problems with it. If it has uploaded correctly it should be linked in the MW and here: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/janeausten_02_helm_128kb.mp3

If it doesn't upload properly now, I'll try again when I get home from work.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

It appeared to upload properly!

The only PL Notes I have are the sounds of page turning at:

26:50
38:12
45:24
46:22
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

If it isn't super loud or intrusive I think it's OK as is.

Let's go to the catalogue! :thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,
Do you want to use the book summary in the first post or do you have something else in mind?
MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oops! I need to write something else!

Kristin, as the DPL you've read the whole book - any thoughts? What interested you most? What did learn about Jane Austen you hadn't known before?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,

Your section 2 is giving me a low volume reading at 84.5. I'm not able to adjust it in the validator, which means it must have some spikes. Please let me know if it's ok, or if you want to make any adjustments and reload it.

Thanks.

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll run the compressor over it - it was recorded in several sections so I'm not surprised the sound levels are a bit uneven.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Done! New version is uploading now. Let me think about the summary - I'll have some time tomorrow to read a bit more of the book - in the end I only read the two chapters I recorded! I should read a bit more before claiming to be able to summarise the book! :shock:
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Elizabby wrote:Oops! I need to write something else!

Kristin, as the DPL you've read the whole book - any thoughts? What interested you most? What did learn about Jane Austen you hadn't known before?
I really had no background on Jane before this, so everything was new! It was a really in-depth look at her approach to writing. The idea of her works being satirical was a direction I never considered.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, I've written a brief summary for the catalogue - let's go! :thumbs: