LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 2:13 pm

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post Posted:: September 9th, 2017, 10:09 pm 

Here are my sections. I enjoyed these both!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_21_various_128kb.mp3 18:56
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_21_various_128kb.mp3 4:36

I do have a couple of questions on section 21. For one thing, this sentence: "The faintest praise with which I can d---n the book is to say that it's a d---n good b-----k of mostly ------- verse." I read this as, "The faintest praise with which I can damn the book is to say that it's a damn good book of mostly verse." I'm not sure how close this is to what was intended. Specifically, why would they censor the word "book"? So I'm almost sure that's not the proper word there. But I can't think of anything else that would fit. And I have no hints whatever as to the word in front of "verse". I didn't want to say "blank verse," as that phrase has a specific literary meaning. So I just skipped over it without a pause. If there are any suggestions as to how else I could have read this, I'm wide open!

Second, should I have included the little tagline on the end: "In American. By J. V. A. Weaver. Alfred A. Knopf."? I didn't, but I could go in and add it if you like.

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: September 10th, 2017, 9:52 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

mightyfelix wrote:

Both links are identical and for a 4m file.

Post Posted:: September 10th, 2017, 3:29 pm 

craigdav1 wrote:
mightyfelix wrote:

Both links are identical and for a 4m file.

Oops. Well, that's because I stayed up past my bedtime to do this! How about this one?

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_06_various_128kb.mp3 18:56

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815

Post Posted:: September 10th, 2017, 7:25 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

mightyfelix wrote:
I do have a couple of questions on section 21. For one thing, this sentence: "The faintest praise with which I can d---n the book is to say that it's a d---n good b-----k of mostly ------- verse." I read this as, "The faintest praise with which I can damn the book is to say that it's a damn good book of mostly verse." I'm not sure how close this is to what was intended. Specifically, why would they censor the word "book"? So I'm almost sure that's not the proper word there. But I can't think of anything else that would fit. And I have no hints whatever as to the word in front of "verse". I didn't want to say "blank verse," as that phrase has a specific literary meaning. So I just skipped over it without a pause. If there are any suggestions as to how else I could have read this, I'm wide open!

Second, should I have included the little tagline on the end: "In American. By J. V. A. Weaver. Alfred A. Knopf."? I didn't, but I could go in and add it if you like.

Our BC is from Florida so may not be available right now to answer your questions. Perhaps our MC, Ann, will be able to help.

Post Posted:: September 10th, 2017, 7:49 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

6 PL OK.

Post Posted:: September 10th, 2017, 8:01 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

craigdav1 wrote:
mightyfelix wrote:

Our BC is from Florida so may not be available right now to answer your questions. Perhaps our MC, Ann, will be able to help.

Well, I think that d---n is damn for sure, but b-----k and -------- I don't know. I would have suggested using "blank" for them as well, but "blank" does not work for the second one. You could use a pregnant pause for the spot in front of verse, something creative like that.

As far as the second question, I don't think you need to include "In American. By J. V. A. Weaver. Alfred A. Knopf." I think it is the source for the article.

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Post Posted:: September 11th, 2017, 5:40 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

21 PL OK.

Post Posted:: September 11th, 2017, 9:53 am 

I agree with Ann on the ____ issues. ;)

Made it through the storm, very windy, lots of broken branches and downed palm trees but otherwise safe. Neighbors lost power, running out of fuel for generator powering their a/c unit. :roll: Which is why I don't use a/c. Fresh air blowing through my windows now.

Cat totally bewildered. :)

Post Posted:: September 11th, 2017, 10:27 am 

VfkaBT wrote:
I agree with Ann on the ____ issues. ;)

Made it through the storm, very windy, lots of broken branches and downed palm trees but otherwise safe. Neighbors lost power, running out of fuel for generator powering their a/c unit. :roll: Which is why I don't use a/c. Fresh air blowing through my windows now.

Cat totally bewildered. :)

Glad to know that you are alright. I have a cousin who is hunkered down in Lutz.

Would you like me to go ahead and re-record that bit, then?

Post Posted:: September 11th, 2017, 11:00 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes. We seem to have a consensus.

Post Posted:: September 12th, 2017, 12:07 pm 

I can grab "Woman Sees Steel" and help finish this up :)

Post Posted:: September 13th, 2017, 7:05 am 

Jamina1 wrote:
I can grab "Woman Sees Steel" and help finish this up :)

Added to MW; thanks!

Lost power last night for five hours. Our neighborhood came back online about midnight but others just next door are still out. :(

Post Posted:: September 16th, 2017, 9:00 pm 

Ok, how's this? Correction is at 1:13-1:20.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_21_various_128kb.mp3 (4:37)

Post Posted:: September 17th, 2017, 6:12 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

21 PL OK.

Post Posted:: September 23rd, 2017, 2:20 pm 

19 Old Love and New Poetry, Or Vice Versa, by Floyd Dell
7:07

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_19_various_128kb.mp3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next