[COMPLETE] Indian Boyhood by Charles A. Eastman - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Indian Boyhood by Charles Eastman (1858 - 1939).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/indian-boyhood-by-charles-alexander-eastman/
Indian Boyhood is a lively and appealing first-person recounting of the life of a Sioux child in the last days of the tribe's "wild" life in the 19th century, before they succumbed to fences, boundaries, and other constrictions of civilization. Charles Eastman, born in 1858 in Minnesota, spent his childhood first in the forests of the land of lakes and later in the wide-open prairies of the Dakota territory. He describes his comprehensive training in woodcraft, horsemanship, and hunting, and retells many stories from his elders that were so important in conveying his tribe's oral traditions. Eastman does not minimize the ever-present danger that children experienced in such an upbringing, but he also does not lose his sense of the fun and excitement of it all. Listeners will probably wish they could similarly jump on their pony and gallop across the wild and free prairie like the young Ohiyesa.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/337
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction; Action & Adventure Fiction; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; Westerns

Keywords that describe the book: Native American, American Indian, plains Indians, Indian life

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Part [number] Chapter [number] of Indian Boyhood. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Indian Boyhood, by Charles Eastman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [number] Chapter [number] of Indian Boyhood by Charles Eastman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Indian Boyhood, by Charles Eastman. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename indianboyhood_##_eastman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. indianboyhood_01_eastman_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by carolpelster on June 22nd, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Back in a few minutes with the MW.

Edit: Do you have someone in mind as dpl? If not we can add a ~ before the title in the subject line to advertise for one.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Yes, thank you for offering to advertise for a DPL. This is only my second solo project, and I'm sure I'll be needing lots of advice and many suggestions, which are greatly appreciated. It will be a few days before I can start recording because I just ordered a new microphone, a new toy for me. Surely, having a new microphone will turn me into a spectacular reader!
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I've added ~ to the title but an offer to dpl might not occur until after you've completed a chapter (with that new mike!). We'll stay in the Launch Pad for a day of two though to let others know we are looking.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to the Going Solo forum.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

After a delay caused by ordering a new microphone (which ended up with me having to return it and stick with my old mic), I just uploaded the first 3 chapters of Indian Boyhood. I hope someone will volunteer to proof listen because it is quite a like-able book. It is a true-life adventure story about a Sioux Indian boy, his family, and his education in the skills of his tribe.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1-3 PL OK.

Sorry to hear the new mike had to be returned. The files sound fine though. An interesting story.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Hello.
Chapter 4 is ready.
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

volume is a tad high (93.4dB) and should be lowered by 3-4dB, otherwise pl ok. Interesting narrative.

Edit: Just upload the edited file (exact same name) after reducing the volume. The original file will be renamed (and saved just in case) but will be replaced by the newer edited version of the file.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Hello from Columbia, SC.
I lowered the amplification of Chapter 4 by 3.6 db. Is that low enough?
Thanks
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK.

Perfect...89.8dB!
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Salutations, as Charlotte the Spider used to say.
I just uploaded Chapter 5, and Part 2 (no chapter number)

I am trying to keep my recording set-up consistent by staying the same distance from the microphone and keeping the recording volume the same each time. How are my settings?

Thanks for your advice.
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

5-6 PL OK.

The volumes are both 89.5dB. Excellent!

Something I should have mentioned earlier but the file names need to have "128kb" in them (e.g. indianboyhood_01_eastman_128kb.mp3). I've corrected the first six files (as well as the links in the MW). When we send our books to Archive.org all sorts of bad things happen if the 128kb is missing from the file name. Btw, nice reads of an interesting book.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

A couple more chapters are ready. I am ready to give up civilization and go ride a pony across the prairies all day.
Carol
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7-8 PLOK.

Interesting book. I've added myself as DPL.