COMPLETE Memoirs of Mary Wollstonecraft by W. Godwin -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kcocco

Post by kcocco »

Memoirs of the Author of a Vindication of the Rights of Woman. by William Godwin (1756 - 1836).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/memoirs-of-the-author-of-a-vindication-of-the-rights-of-woman-by-william-godwin/

This is an abandoned solo project, brought back as a group project. Carolin is the BC.
William Godwin writes a tell-all about his ex-wife one year after her death. Mary Wollstonecraft (mother of Mary Shelley) was an early proponent of women's rights and lived a lifestyle that was frowned upon during her life. ( Katie Cocco)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16199
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of MEMOIRS of the AUTHOR of a VINDICATION OF THE RIGHTS OF WOMAN.. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "MEMOIRS of the AUTHOR of a VINDICATION OF THE RIGHTS OF WOMAN., by William Godwin. [Chapter]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of MEMOIRS of the AUTHOR of a VINDICATION OF THE RIGHTS OF WOMAN., by William Godwin. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename memoirsauthor_##_godwin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. memoirsauthor_01_godwin_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well done with your template Katie! And the book is a good choice for a first solo - it will be a bit longer than 2 hours.

I'll set this up for you. Back in a moment.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, I"m done here, I have made a shiny Magic Window for you!

From here on, you will be responsible to keep it like that, it's what all our soloists need to do. You will have to get a new password for the Magic Window and other parts of the "workflow". Here are details on how to go about this - and how to fill in the Magic Window:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
I have filled in the first two chapters with a title suggestion, but you can choose whatever you like best. We'll need a least a number or something in there though.
Also, I have severely shortened the filename of the project and we don't need any ID3 tags anymore either.

Holler if you have any questions.
Let's stay here over the weekend to see if we can attract a DPL, but you can start recording rightaway.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
kcocco

Post by kcocco »

Thanks, Ava! I am excited to be doing a solo...for me there's actually a lot less pressure on this solo so far, because I know I can't let anyone but myself down if it's imperfect. Ha. And more control is always nice :)

Looking forward to getting this one knocked out...and learning more about good ol' Mary.

Katie
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well done Katie, very nice! :clap:

Please do give me the length of your recording in the "Notes" section. I need it for cataloging, and it's nice for the DPL to know if she can sqeeze your recording in _right now_.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, I'm moving this to "going solo".

Don't worry that we didn't find a DPL just yet, somebody will be along eventually, just keep recording.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Katie,
Welcome to LV! I can’t DPL for you but I was able to take a listen to the first chapter.

Please try and be still when recording. There are a few times you bumped the mic or the cord. Not bad just something to keep in mind moving forward.

The volume is too low at 85.7dB. We aim for 89dB with an allowable range of 86-92dB. Since your waves aren’t uniform you might want to try compression followed by amplification. There is a video here to walk you through the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU

0:36 there is a mic bump that is stand alone here and could be removed (optional)

4:10 mic bump (optional)

4:47 repeat - He was of a very active, and somewhat versatile disposition,

4:56 editing error? - and so frequently changed his abode, as to throw some ambiguity upon the place of her birth.

6:11 stumble - The mother's partiality was fixed upon the eldest son, and her system of government relative to Mary, was characterized by considerable rigour.

11:48 stumble - her father removed to a small distance from his former habitation,

13:39 stumble - but it was not to any advantage of infant literature, that she was indebted for her subsequent eminence;

16:31 stumble - the demonstrations of which appeared to have been somewhat too artificially cultivated.

There are three mic bumps in your ending silence that should be removed.

If you have headphones, give them a try when you do your editing. You likely would have picked up most, if not all of these small items. Please post if you have any questions on how to make the changes. I think they can all be taken care of through editing without having to record any portion again. :thumbs:

As Ava indicated having the file duration in the “Notes” section of the MW is important for a number of reasons. It will be easier to find someone to PL for you. It lets us know if we have the right amount of time. Section 1 is 17:04, and section 2 is 10:04.

You have great pacing. Congratulations on your first project! :clap:
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for section 2
Volume is too low at 84.9dB.

Intro – you used the first chapter intro instead of the one for subsequent section. The shorted section is not required but a nice option for listeners of a solo. Your choice just be sure to be consistent.

2:25 stumble - by the employment of this talent, for some time maintained her father, mother, and family,

3:07 repeat - they supplied the want of mere frequent interviews by an assiduous correspondence.

3:33 stumble - Her ambition to excel was now awakened, and she applied herself with passion and earnestness.

4:04 stumble - The situation upon which he now fixed was in Wales,

5:38 stumble - when the intreaties and tears of her mother led her to surrender her own inclinations, and abandon the engagement.

6:15 repeat - that she had had a variety of companions in succession,

6:29 stumble - what none of her predecessors had been able to do.

7:15 stumble - Mary felt in this intelligence an irresistible motive,

8:17 stumble - but from the hands of Mary; rest was denied night or day, and by the time nature was exhausted in the parent,

9:34 repeat – In 1780 she attended the death-bed of her mother;

Ending silence needed to be extended to 5 seconds.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for helping out here Linny! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Katie, how's it going here?

Do you still want to continue?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Reader not online since April. Abandoning.

I'm not sure whether the files are usable with all those stumbles, maybe somebody who is interested in picking this up could have a quick check.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved back to Abandoned from Book Suggestions. Reader Esmina had requested a look at this on June 10; hasn't responded about it yet.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I did the edits on the 2 sections. They can be spot-checked and determined if they're usable.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Tricia! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--