COMPLETE - Black Magic by Marjorie Bowen - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Black Magic by Marjorie Bowen (1885 - 1952).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/black-magic-by-marjorie-bowen/
Black Magic: a Tale of the Rise and Fall of the Antichrist ( )
Volunteers outside the USA: Marjorie Bowen died in 1952. His/Her work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/blackmagic_201612
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Black Magic. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Black Magic, by Marjorie Bowen. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Black Magic by Marjorie Bowen. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Black Magic, by Marjorie Bowen. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename blackmagic_##_bowen128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. blackmagic_01_bowen_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

Since you've uploaded the file to Archive, I'd suggest using that link for your text link, since everyone can access it. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

TriciaG wrote:I'll MC this.

Since you've uploaded the file to Archive, I'd suggest using that link for your text link, since everyone can access it. :)
Thank you!! Excited to work with you. I see you've already changed the text link, thanks for that.

Question. This book is in two parts and then chapters in each part. Shall I still record "Chapter [number] of Black Magic" or shall I record

Section [number] of Black Magic. This is a LibriVox recording. ... etc.

"Recording by Molly Craig

"Black Magic, by Marjorie Bowen. Part 1, Chapter #, Chapter "name"

ETA: I've been looking through the chapters and working out the word counts. Who enters that? me or you or someone else? (sorry, first solo and have some questions that might drive you nuts)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd go with Section in the intro (your second option):
Section [number] of Black Magic. This is a LibriVox recording. ... etc.

"Recording by Molly Craig

"Black Magic, by Marjorie Bowen. Part 1, Chapter #, Chapter "name"

End of Section [number]
ETA: I've been looking through the chapters and working out the word counts. Who enters that? me or you or someone else? (sorry, first solo and have some questions that might drive you nuts)
Word counts on solos are optional - they'd be for your benefit only (pretty much). Word counts on group projects help readers choose a section, giving them an idea of how long it is. As a soloist, you can add word counts to give yourself the info, but it's not required. And you'd enter them, like you'll be entering the chapter titles. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I see you're putting all info in the Notes field. The chapter title (whatever you want in the Title field of the ID tags to show up on MP3 players) needs to go in the Title column. :) I've done the first to show you.
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

TriciaG wrote:I see you're putting all info in the Notes field. The chapter title (whatever you want in the Title field of the ID tags to show up on MP3 players) needs to go in the Title column. :) I've done the first to show you.
I was trying to put that info in that spot but it wouldn't let me enter anything in there, so I put it in the only spot it would let me enter data.

I'll try again today, might have been a glitch in the system.

Working on chapter 1 yesterday and editing today .. I recorded from the HT version and accidentally started editing while reading the AUS Gutenberg version ... wow, whole paragraphs of different text. I thought I must have been asleep while I was recording, LOL .. until I noticed the wrong version being used for editing. Best delete that version from my files so I don't make that mistake again.
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Right .. still not working for me. I can type into the box but it doesn't save anything I type. If you look at the MW again, you'll see for sections 2 and 3 that I deleted the chapter name from the notes box. I tried typing those two into the Title section and nada .. no matter what I do it's not saving the typed info for me.

ETA: I played around a bit, testing. I was able to change my notes, the *assigned*/PL ready section and a bunch of other things. The only section I cannot change is the Title. I even tried to delete your note Sunshine and it wouldn't let me do that either.

ETA#2: I figured it out. Sorry about that, all good now.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I forgot you probably hadn't entered anything into the title field before. That and the URL for the file, you have to press Enter to save the info. If you type it then leave the box without pressing Enter, it doesn't save, as you experienced.

Looks good!
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

TriciaG wrote:I forgot you probably hadn't entered anything into the title field before. That and the URL for the file, you have to press Enter to save the info. If you type it then leave the box without pressing Enter, it doesn't save, as you experienced.

Looks good!

:thumbs:
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Section one.

duration 24:27:32

Does anyone PL or just me?

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/blackmagic_01_bowen_128kb.mp3
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Thanks Dave!! :clap:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.

I'll update the MW to reflect this once I'm added to the project.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mzmolly65 wrote:Section one.

duration 24:27:32

Does anyone PL or just me?

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/blackmagic_01_bowen_128kb.mp3
Please copy/paste this URL into the Magic Window in the "Listen URL" column, and add the duration (just minutes & whole seconds are needed) in the Notes field. Thanks!

Dave, you're added to the project. :)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Thanks, Tricia!

MW updated.