COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Please assign section 9, Foxhound to me.
I have a week of extra time which I will fill with doing LV goodies.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for claiming, Bill. I'll put you claim in now.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_09_various_128kb.mp3 49:00

The author of this section of American Book Of The Dog displays several unscientific and ludicrous absurdities.

-- he asserts the the country will go to hell in a DOG-CART if fox hunting does not become the national sport :P

-- he asserts that the principles of genetic propagation are all wrong as put forward by Physiologists. For example, he asserts that what a dog DOES in the way of fox hunting determines what is passed along to it progeny. If a dog doesn't kill red foxes, its offspring will not either - due to genetic transfer, or the lack of it.

-- he suggests that foxes being chased by foxhounds "SURELY" delights in the musical baying of the dogs out to kill him.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
sturnellabird

Post by sturnellabird »

Wow, I'm glad it was good!

I'm already recording at the highest level I can, and the only way to get it louder is to mic it closer or turn it on omnidirectional, and both of those options make a plosive and de-essing nightmare. In general, should I aim for the higher end of the acceptable dB range when I amplify it?

williamjones wrote: September 1st, 2018, 4:58 pm The author of this section of American Book Of The Dog displays several unscientific and ludicrous absurdities.
The author of my section claimed that the best food for Italian Greyhounds was table scraps, but your author's Lamarckian belief is a bit sillier. Those poor foxes!

Also, I'm happy to proof section 2 if that's still open.
msfry

Post by msfry »

sturnellabird wrote: September 6th, 2018, 12:40 pm Wow, I'm glad it was good!

I'm already recording at the highest level I can, and the only way to get it louder is to mic it closer or turn it on omnidirectional, and both of those options make a plosive and de-essing nightmare. In general, should I aim for the higher end of the acceptable dB range when I amplify it?
Also, I'm happy to proof section 2 if that's still open.
What recording software and mike are you using? I think omnidirectional is what is recommended. There are 4 ways to control volume on my setup - a Yeti Blue desk mike: gain, volume; and the gain and volume controls within Audacity. And then, of course, the Amplify Effect in Audacity. And if you set your mike at a 45 degree angle to your mouth, and cover the mike with the end of a sock it takes care of those plosives and ear splitting s's.

I always shoot for 90, just because I listen on my iPhone without earbuds at night and it likes a little more volume. But 89 is LV's optimum and perfect for earphones.

Yes, please proof listen Section 2. It's an interesting one, I think. Just follow the instructions in the First Post, and feel free to let me know whatever strikes you the wrong way, citing time and error. I encourage crits/comments.
sturnellabird

Post by sturnellabird »

Ah, next time I'll try a sock on omnidirectional. I otherwise love the quality from omni, and if I can get rid of those clicks and s's it'll be perfect. My microphone is a Blue Snowball, and it doesn't have volume controls on it, but I've got my system input volume all the way up; I often record in logic, and that volume is all the way up too. I'll either get it plosive-free in omni or start amplifying to 90.

Working on proof listening this weekend.
drupesh2000

Post by drupesh2000 »

Hi,

Can I claim 8 and 10? I am the newbie here. Shall I post a test recording or how does it work?

Thanks
msfry

Post by msfry »

drupesh2000 wrote: September 18th, 2018, 4:03 pm Hi,

Can I claim 8 and 10? I am the newbie here. Shall I post a test recording or how does it work?

Thanks
Hi, drupeshw2000 and welcome to Librivos. Yes we do ask you to submit your 1 minute test before taking on a section in any project, and encourage to you introduce yourself per the instructions in your Welcome Letter. This helps us understand where you are in your recording process, what equipment you are working with, how we might help you adjust your tech specs, and so forth. Then we encourage you to choose a few shorter sections on the projects other volunteers have put forward (section 10 on this project is only 8 pages long so would be appropriate.) I'll be on the lookout for your test and will do all else I can to help you figure out how it works.
sturnellabird

Post by sturnellabird »

PL notes for section 2:
There is slightly more than 1 second of silence at the beginning, 1.2 seconds. (Being new to listening, is that a huge problem?)
36:41 Small stumble, but doesn't detract from meaning.

You have such an easy to listen to voice. What a thoroughly written chapter! A very sensible man with some good scientific understanding for his time.
msfry

Post by msfry »

sturnellabird wrote: September 21st, 2018, 12:26 pm PL notes for section 2:
There is slightly more than 1 second of silence at the beginning, 1.2 seconds. (Being new to listening, is that a huge problem?)
36:41 Small stumble, but doesn't detract from meaning.

You have such an easy to listen to voice. What a thoroughly written chapter! A very sensible man with some good scientific understanding for his time.
Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. 2 is reuploaded with the two corrections made. If I choose to record another section, perhaps you will do me the honors again! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_02_various_128kb.mp3 No appreciable time change to report.
Roger

Post by Roger »

If section 10, The Basset Hound is still available, I would like to record it for this project.
I will do my best with the French. :lol:
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Roger wrote: September 21st, 2018, 3:58 pm If section 10, The Basset Hound is still available, I would like to record it for this project.
I will do my best with the French. :lol:
We are so close to finishing this project, I simply cannot turn down your generous offer . . . . . not that I would have anyway! I am just talking French. :D
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

May I have sections 8 and 17?

Thank you,

Laurence
msfry

Post by msfry »

laurencetrask wrote: September 21st, 2018, 6:08 pm May I have sections 8 and 17?

Thank you,

Laurence
Thank you, Laurence. This project is now FULL, and I am dancin' in the streets! :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

RE-uploaded Section 9 - Foxhound - after noticing some errors.
This section is jinxed for me: Just a couple of minutes ago I uploaded the original/un-edited file again.
THIS most recent upload has the corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_09_various_128kb.mp3 48:44

Some days it just doesn't pay to crawl out from under the rock.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison