COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

ErinTheFarm wrote:Thanks Michele! Sorry I didn't get right back to you - came down with the flu for a couple days so am a little behind on things.

I think I like E Farmer as a catalogue name - the introvert in me appreciates the extra little bit of anonymity, but I am sure I can easily direct any friends and family so as to find me in the future should that come up.

Hoping to get fully caught up and take a crack at recording a little later this week. Woo hoo!
Erin, I can't set you up until you provide Librivox with an email address. I will ask Jo, our MC, to explain that process, as I can't remember how. :?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Michele,

I've added Erin as a reader so you can go ahead and assign her sections. Not sure why you couldn't find her to add. Maybe a typo? My tablet automatically added spaces between the "words" in her user name that I had to go back and remove. All forum members have to enter an email address when they register.
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, thanks, Jo. The error message just read that the reader needed an email address, so maybe I made a mistake (tho I did copy and paste rather than type). My system often adds a space after whatever I copy, so I usually paste into notepad, then re-copy. Maybe that's what happened. I'm glad to know the email address must be supplied to get into the system, which makes sense since Erin was receiving forum posts.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, Erin, you are in the MW. Any questions, feel free to ask.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 48, Spaniel Training is uploaded. I am looking for a proof listener for my sections.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_48_various_128kb.mp3
12:42
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Does anyone have an idea if dog names, if they are Rover 2 or Rex 3, would be read as "Rover Two" or as "Rover the second"? I've tried Googling it but can't seem to find the right search to get to the answer as I'm not sure this convention is used anymore nowadays. Thanks in advance for your help!

Jill :)

Edit: I see is is actually written with the Roman numerals as Rover II or Rex III, if this makes a difference in the reading of it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

If you'll post the paragraph where this appears I can probably tell you.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Okay, I went with "Rover Two", etc., based on a little more still-pretty-inconclusive research on the subject. If it strikes you as wrong let me know and I can change it. Here's chapter 03 at a whopping 56:27!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_03_various_128kb.mp3

Hurray for getting this one done at long last! Now on to chapter 04. Thanks!
Jill :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

I had not realized that Section 5, The Pointer, was 17,000 words. I have had to divide it into two sections, and update the MW to reflect new section numbers for all that follow. Fortunately, not many sections below that have been recorded yet (except mine which I will change), but I will have to ask those affected to re'record your Intro and Outro, and change your filenames to comply, as follows:
Section 28 is now 29 BettyB
Section 29 is now 30 BettyB
Section 40 is now 41 BettyB
Section 41 is now 42 Roger
Section 43 is now 44 jillibean

These sections have not yet been recorded, but the change should be noted.
Section 13 is now 14 tbwatkins89
Section 33 is now 34 tbwatkins89
Section 39 is now 40 ErinTheFarm

I apologize for this inconvenience. It wasn't until jillibean turned in her Section 3 today at 56:27 minutes, and only 25 pages, that I realized 41 pages for The Pointer would be way too long for one section. :shock:
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK, I've taken the former chapter 41, patched the intros and the outro, and named the file ....42, and have uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_42_various_128kb.mp3

Question: Should these chapters now be referred to as "sections" rather than "chapters"? Are we all going to have to make that change also? (And if so, the initial post should also be updated to reflect this.)
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Roger wrote:OK, I've taken the former chapter 41, patched the intros and the outro, and named the file ....42, and have uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_42_various_128kb.mp3

Question: Should these chapters now be referred to as "sections" rather than "chapters"? Are we all going to have to make that change also? (And if so, the initial post should also be updated to reflect this.)
I believe that would end up being less confusing to the listener, so I will make this change to the First Post.

And ask the aforementioned affected readers to read "Section #" rather than "Chapter #" while they are at changing the number in their Intro and Outro.
ErinTheFarm

Post by ErinTheFarm »

Hi! Ok! Here is section 40:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_40_various_128kb.mp3 (11:27)

Boy - there is definitely a learning curve to this. Thank you for your patience - if this won't work for any reason or you need me to make any edits/changes or redo it, just let me know.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 40
You've chosen a good chapter, Erin, and read it well. The author's writing style was particularly succinct and very entertaining. Hard to believe how the bulldog has been abused.

A few items need your attention.
Your file is recorded in stereo. We need mono. You can compress this down in Audacity going Tracks/Stereo Track to Mono. Then be sure on future recordings to select Mono from the drop down list in the menu bar just above your track, or go Tracks/Add New/Mono. Also, to the left of your track it should read : Mono, 44100Hz, 16-bit PCM

Your volume from 0 - 8:47 is much lower than what follows. These should be equalized. If this were my file I would Amplify that first segment +5. Then to get rid of those spikes, I would add 5 seconds of silence to the beginning, select the whole file, go Effects/Compression and run that at the settings -12/-20/2:1/.10/1, then remove the 5 seconds of silence from the beginning. (for some reason Compression severely compresses the first 5 seconds). I tried this on your file and it seemed to work well.

Technical items aside, you've done a great job and are off to a wonderful start! I hope you will avail yourself of the video tutorials on our wiki (upper menu on every forum page), which demo many of the tricks of using Audacity. Additionally, there are tons of Youtube videos on how to edit with Audacity, and I've added a few there myself.

At about 7:10 you pronounce fakir, faker. I looked it up and found both pronunciations are correct! See, we are all always on a learning curve around here. That's part of what makes it fun :lol:
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK, I have again patched the new section 42, changing all the "chapter"s to "section".

Spot PL if you wish. There are 3 changes: 1) the very beginning; 2) at the :26 second mark; and 3) at the end (almost) at about 33:40.

Thanks! :D

[EDIT] I might take on another section or two after a bit of a breather. Just thought I'd warn you .... :lol:
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
msfry

Post by msfry »

42 is PL OK.

Thanks, Roger, for having my back on the Sections changes, and suggesting it so early. I had to change 4 of mine this morning. What a chore. I am usually meticulous about getting my word counts together before posting projects, to avoid this very problem. But this one slipped through. I apologize to everyone affected.

Better claim your sections quickly. They are going very fast! :lol: