[COMPLETE] Why do we need a public library? by Various -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Basquetteur suggestion:
It seems you are considering the possibility to have also texts in Spanish relating to the topic of the need of a public library. I think one potential candidate might be the "Decreto orgánico y reglamento de la Biblioteca Nacional dados por S.M. en 3 y en 7 de enero de 1857.", the decree that gave a new impulse (perhaps not necessarily a key or decisive one) to the already existing at the time Spanish National Library (BNE) in 1857. May be it is not necessary to include the whole regulation or decree but just the introductory message (I think to the Queen) and the decree, both from the Minister of Education Claudio Moyano, and not the details of the regulation.

The text is here in the HathiTrust for example:

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009277443

...May be some of the very good readers in Spanish or newly arrived readers in search for texts to read might consider this suggestion. ... may be there is a remote chance that there are people looking for texts to read for this topic.

Details of the history of the BNE are in the Spanish wikipedia. The English version contains much less details.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I would like to read Section 12, the Paine piece, please.

Thanks!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

MW updated re 12; thanks!
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'd like to claim Section 1, but it's 15,300 words, which I don't think will fit in an hour.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

msfry wrote:I'd like to claim Section 1, but it's 15,300 words, which I don't think will fit in an hour.
We can split it into two or three sections if you want to give it a go. 49 pages divided by three, @ 16.3 pgs per section. Try recording the first section to see how long it is in duration, then estimate from there for the subsequent two.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's going to cause problems with the section numbers for the already read ones. My only suggestion that would cause the minimum disruption would be to place your current 1 section with "Where neighbours meet and put this section split into 2 or 3 last. That will leave the already read sections in their correct places so the intros and outros work
If you are happy with that please say and I will do it.

Anne
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

So you're saying the reader (msfry, if she wants to do this) 's first section would go into Section 1, and the subsequent entries at the bottom of the MW as added sections? If it all lines up at the end of the project on Internet Archive, that would work for me.
msfry

Post by msfry »

This project seems quite important. I would like to claim 1 and 14.
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:
msfry wrote:I'd like to claim Section 1, but it's 15,300 words, which I don't think will fit in an hour.
We can split it into two or three sections if you want to give it a go. 49 pages divided by three, @ 16.3 pgs per section. Try recording the first section to see how long it is in duration, then estimate from there for the subsequent two.
Okay. I read approximately 165 words a minute. That means this file would be 92 minutes in duration. If I divided it approximately in half, that would make 2 sections of about 46 minutes each in duration, or 3 sections of approximately 30 minutes each in duration. This would require either 2 sections, or 3 sections. I can find appropriate dividing lines once given the parameters of 2 or 3 sections.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Just letting you know, though I have posted to this topic and it shows I am subscribed to this topic, I did not receive notice of posts just previous to my last post. I only found it by revisiting the site on my own. Maybe that needs attention?
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

msfry wrote:
VfkaBT wrote:
Okay. I read approximately 165 words a minute. That means this file would be 92 minutes in duration. If I divided it approximately in half, that would make 2 sections of about 46 minutes each in duration, or 3 sections of approximately 30 minutes each in duration. This would require either 2 sections, or 3 sections. I can find appropriate dividing lines once given the parameters of 2 or 3 sections.
I think three half-hour chunks would be best. These are a series of short articles by several writers, so it might be less overwhelming to the listener, and (especially for librarians who are into the roots of their profession) perfect for lunch breaks. ;)

I'll add you to the MW.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

msfry wrote:This project seems quite important. I would like to claim 1 and 14.
Did you mean section 4? 14 has already been assigned.
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:
msfry wrote:This project seems quite important. I would like to claim 1 and 14.
Did you mean section 4? 14 has already been assigned.
No, I think I'll stick to Section 1, so take me off of 4. I tried to check out the other open ones but I can't find those text links by name.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I've removed you from four, sorry.

I'm taking on the Kate Chopin chapter myself.
msfry

Post by msfry »

While I await instructions how to divide up Section 1, I can just begin reading. Let me know when you figure things out.