COMPLETE [Dram Reading]Secresy by Eliza Fenwick-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Secresy, or, the Ruin on the Rock by Eliza Fenwick (1766 - 1840).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/secresy-by-eliza-fenwick/

This is the story of Caroline and Sybila, two female friends, Strong and smart women who try to make it in a man's world while keeping their values and loyalties in tact. The only way to do that is to hide a few secrets. Yet secrets cannot remain hidden for ever, and everything has a price. This is both a social novel and a gothic novel. A true page turner with all the elements of a good 18th century novel: a woman locked in an estate, a hidden pregnancy, some politics of marriage, villains, sentimentality and thought provoking philosophy. Perfect for fans of Mary Woolstoncraft, Francis Sheridon and Jane Austen. ( Stav Nisser. )
Discriptions of each letter writer for your benefit:
Caroline Ashbern: a brave and good woman. Good friend of SIBELLA VALMONT. Does her best to assist her friend in her dificalties.
SIBELLA VALMONT- a good friend of Caroline's. Trapped by her uncle in an estate, the ruin on the rock. Hides a great secret. Considered very beautiful.
CLEMENT MONTGOMERY- heir to the estate of mr. Valmont and one of Sibella's lovers.
ARTHUR MURDEN- a young man in love with Sibila.
Lord Filmar- a noble man with bad habits keeping with bad society.
The honorable George Valmont- Sibila's evil and abusive uncle.
JANETTA LAUNDY- a destetute orphan, former lover of Clement Montgomery.

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43529
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
  6. Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================
    Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Epistolary Fiction; Family Life
    Keywords that describe the book: love story, gothic novel, philosophical novel, social novel, family drama, femenist fiction
    ============================================
  7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  8. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "section [number] of Secresy, or, the Ruin on the Rock . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Secresy, or, the Ruin on the Rock , by Eliza Fenwick . [volume x, letter x]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [ section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      [*[at the end of each volume, say, in addition, "end of volume x"].
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Secresy, or, the Ruin on the Rock , by Eliza Fenwick . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    secresy_##_fenwick_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. secresy_01_fenwick_128kb.mp3)
  10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by miss stav on February 1st, 2017, 10:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Stav,
You do like the long projects, don't you? (smile)

If you do not mind my following you around I would like to DPL this project. If you have the word counts ready and want to send them to me I can help get the MW set up when we get one.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Leni,
yes, you may gladly dpl this project. It is also a great book. I choose books I find interesting, they are accedentaly long (smile).
About wordcounts, I will see what I can do.. This is a very speshal project.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Stav,
If I understand your comment above the summary you would like each "letter writer" to claim all of the letters from that person?

Using the first 10 chapters as an example; the reader for Caroline Ashburn would read letters 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10. The reader for Sibella Valmont would read letters 2, 4, 6, and 9. The reader for Clement Montgomery would read letter 8. Is that what you had in mind? If it is, would it be ok for the readers to change for each volume? If not, the commitment for some characters will be very large.

Let me know if you want help with the word counts.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Great question... Didn't think about it. I don't mind the readers changing if that would be a deall braker for someone. Yes, a cast for each volume is intirely possible, yet I would give readers a valad possibility to continue with the same letter writer from one volume to the next.
linny

Post by linny »

This will be fun! There are 2 sections where there are letters within letters but I can edit those together (volume 1; letter 15 and volume 3; letter 7). We will just need someone to PL those completed sections after I edit.

If you come up with a little description for each character that would likely help.

Let me know if you would like me to work on the word counts. I suspect total character word counts will be important to potential readers.
linny

Post by linny »

The following is a breakdown of the letters and sections for each character.
GEORGE VALMONT: Volume 3; letters 7, 8, 22, 28, 37. Sections 42, 46, 55, 62, 68, 78

Assigned:
SIBELLA VALMONT: Volume 1; letters 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 14, 15. Volume 2; letters 4, 8, 9. Volume 3; letters 3, 4.
ARTHUR MURDEN: Volume 1; letters 16, 17. Volume 2; letter 5. Volume 3; letters 2, 5, 6, 19, 23, 30, 31.
JANETTA LAUNDY: Volume 2; letters 12, 13. Volume 3; letters 12, 14, 24, 27
CAROLINE ASHBURN: Volume 1; letters 1, 3, 5, 7, 10. Volume 2; letters 1, 2, 6, 11. Volume 3; 10, 16, 18, 20, 21, 25, 32, 34, 35, 39, 40.
Sections: 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 19, 20, 24, 28, 48, 54, 56, 58, 60, 61, 65, 73, 75, 76, 80, 81
CLEMENT MONTGOMERY: Volume 1; letters 8, 11, 13, 15. Volume 2; letters 3, 14, 16. Volume 3; letter 9, 26, 29
8, 11, 13, 15, 21, 31, 33, 47, 66, 69
LORD FILMAR: Volume 2; letters 7, 10, 15, 17. Volume 3; letters 1, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 33, 36, 38.
25, 27, 32, 34, 35, 41, 43, 445, 49, 51, 53, 57, 74, 77, 79
EARL OF ELSINGS: Section 44
Last edited by linny on January 30th, 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow! Thank you so much. Yes, we might need wordcounts. In addition, I want the letters within letters in saparate sections, because I wanted no editing and I sespected these would be too long for one section.
I have a job interview tomorrow. I might come up with discriptions during the weekend. That's an excellent idea.
linny

Post by linny »

No editing is even better! I will start working on word counts. Good luck at the interview. That is so exciting.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

You don't have to. I can help. What ever you see fit.
linny

Post by linny »

I misunderstood. Sorry about that. I thought you would not have the time to do them. I will leave the word counts to you.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Stav,
I can MC this for you. I'll be back with the MW.
MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

Stav,
I worked on the MW. I have a few questions.

1. General format: I only used "volume" for the first letter in each volume. Let me know if you want the volume listed in each title.
2. Do you want the Shakespeare quote prior to the table of contents read with the dedication?
3. I ended up with 8 sections more than you did. I did not add these to the MW until you complete your review of my attempt. Please let me know if there were sections you were looking to combine. I believe one of them may be in volume 2, letters 8 and 9 (sections 26 and 27). Another may be volume 3, letter 7 (sections 42-46).

I am glad to make any changes you wish.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you ever so much. I will fix the volume and chapter titles according to my expirience with such projects. I think I know what would confuse readers less.
Yes, I would like the Shakeppeare quote read with the dedication.
MaryAnne, would you be kind enough to add 8 more sections to the mw?
I was not planning to combine anything in order to avoid editing. There are many things I cannot do around Librivox, if I can avoid one of them, I feel on top of the world.
Thank you so so much for all your hard work. I had a mad day and could not do it...
Stav.
linny

Post by linny »

I can add the sections and get the rest of the titles and word counts in. I just have to copy and paste and then my part will be done and you can adjust as needed. I am pleased my attempt was a solid start for you.