[COMPLETE] "My Inventions" and Other Works by Tesla - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kaneyoto

Post by Kaneyoto »

"My Inventions" and Other Works, The Autobiography of Nikola Tesla, Electrical Experimenter February to October 1919 by Nikola Tesla (1856 - 1943).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/my-inventions-by-nikola-tesla/

This is an abandoned solo, resurrected as a group project! [/color][/b]
Between February and October 1919, Nikola Tesla submitted many articles to the magazine Electrical Experimenter. The most famous of these works is a six part series titled "My Inventions", which is an autobiographical account of Nikola Tesla's life and his most celebrated discoveries. This work has been compiled and republished as a stand-alone book several times under different names, but has been a cause of some controversy due to some versions deviating from the original text without explanation. This project returns to the original text and expands upon it through the addition of Nikola Tesla's own supplementary articles as they were published in 1919. (Kane Mercer)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):

Tricia was so kind to compile google docs for each of the sections. Please download the files for your section from here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i4bAsxDZ7f618zMI8ZwAHoPuMgq1vDOZ

Please ignore all editor's notes in the texts! Thank you!

EE February 1919
    Famous Scientific Illusions: Pgs 692-694, 728, 730, 732-734
    My Inventions: 1. My early life Pgs 696-697, 743-747
    (http://electricalexperimenter.com/n10electricalexperi06gern.pdf) ,
    EE March 1919
    Tesla’s Egg of Columbus
    Pgs 774-775, 808
    My Inventions: 2 My First Efforts in Invention
    Pgs 776-777, 839-841, 843
    (http://electricalexperimenter.com/n11electricalexperi06gern.pdf),
    EE April 1919
    The Moon’s Rotation 1
    Pgs 866, 892
    My Inventions: 3. The Discovery of the Rotating Magnetic Field
    Pgs 864-865, 905, 907, 909
    Tesla on High Frequency Generators
    Pgs 909, 914
    (http://electricalexperimenter.com/n12electricalexperi06gern.pdf),
    EE May 1919
    The True Wireless By Nikola Tesla
    Pgs 28-30, 61-63, 87
    My Inventions: 4. The discovery of the Tesla Coil and Transformer
    Pgs 16-17, 64-65, 89
    EE June 1919
    The Moon’s Rotation 2
    Pgs 132-133, 156-157
    My Inventions: 5. The Magnifying Transmitter
    Pgs 112-113, 148, 176-178
    Tesla Bulbs
    Pgs 134, 179-180, 184
    EE July 1919
    Electrical Oscillators
    Pgs 229, 259-260, 276
    EE September 1919
    The Altering of Alternating Current
    Pgs 435, 444 - won't be included here

EE October 1919
    Can Radio Ignite Balloons—The Opinions of Nikola Tesla and Other Radio Experts
    Pgs 516, 591-594 - won't be included here

My Inventions: 6. The Art of Telautomatics
    Pgs 506-508, 550, 552, 554, 556, 600-601, 603
    (https://archive.org/details/electricalexperi07gern)
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
  6. Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  8. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of "My Inventions", and Other Works of Nikola Tesla, Electrical Experimenter February to October 1919. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Article Title Name / Subtitle / part number] by Nicola Tesla. This article was published in Electrical Experimenter, [month and year published]
    END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of "My Inventions" and Other Works of Nikola Tesla, Electrical Experimenter February to October 1919, by Nikola Tesla. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  9. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    myinventions_##_tesla_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. myinventions_01_tesla_128kb.mp3)
  10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
The history of science shows that theories are perishable. With every new truth that is revealed we get a better understanding of Nature and our conceptions and views are modified. -Nikola Tesla
Kaneyoto

Post by Kaneyoto »

I'm very much looking forward to working on this project. I will be doing the majority of the sections, but I would also like to invite Verngzr to also record some parts as well. I would like this project to be a duet.

I am planning on 17 sections in total:

1. Nikola Tesla the Man – By Hugo Gernsback
2. My Inventions by Nikola Tesla Part 1: My Early Life
3. My Inventions by Nikola Tesla Part 2: My First Efforts at Invention
4. My Inventions by Nikola Tesla Part 3: My Later Endeavers
5. My Inventions by Nikola Tesla Part 4: The Discovery of the Tesla Coil and Transformer
6. My Inventions by Nikola Tesla Part 5: The Magnifying Transmitter
7. My Inventions by Nikola Tesla Part 6: The Art of Telatomatics
8. Famous Scientific Illusions by Nikola Tesla
9. Tesla’s Egg of Columbus by Nikola Tesla
10. Tesla on High Frequency Generators by Nikola Tesla
11. The True Wireless by Nikola Tesla
12. Tesla Bulbs by Electrical Experimenter Radio Department
13. The Moon’s Rotation by Nikola Tesla Part 1
14. The Moon’s Rotation by Nikola Tesla Part 2
15. Electrical Oscillators by Nikola Tesla
16. Can Radio Ignite Balloons—The Opinions of Nikola Tesla and Other Radio Experts
17. Science in Slang: The Altering of Alternating Current by Emerson Easterling

This is my first launch, so please let me know if any formatting needs to be changed.
~Kane
The history of science shows that theories are perishable. With every new truth that is revealed we get a better understanding of Nature and our conceptions and views are modified. -Nikola Tesla
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kane,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. Let me get a few things set up back stage.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kane,

OK, your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. I've started you off with an idea on how I would handle the section titles for a book like this. There is no one "right" way, so if you would like to approach it differently, that's fine.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is quite a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

I have added you as a reader for all sections. For the sections that Vern is going to read, simply "assign reader sections", and remove yourself as a reader, then "assign reader sections" again and add Vern as the reader of those sections.

I see in the book suggestion thread on this project that you had questions about how to handle the other authors who contributed material. I read a version of Pilgrim's Progress by Bunyan that included a long biographical sketch by another author (5 sections long . . . phew!). I put Bunyan in as the only author in the catalog record, and I handled the intros much as you propose to do, identifying the different authors. I think that is preferable to making this a "compilation" by three authors because that is really designed for collections of stand alone works where each section has a different author.

Happy to talk through that with you, but Tesla is clearly the most important and most notable of the three authors . . . so I would highlight this as primarily his work by listing him as the sole author in the catalog record.

MaryAnn
Kaneyoto

Post by Kaneyoto »

Thanks MaryAnn,

I'm sure that there will be a lite bit of a learning curve, but I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks for the comment about Nikola Tesla being the main author. I built this project around him, so I completely agree about him being the main author/focus.

I guess once I start posting sections, the next step will be to find a proof listener?

Thanks again,
Kane
Kaneyoto

Post by Kaneyoto »

Also, is it ok to have a section zero as in the window?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

We typically use section 0 when a book has a preface or introduction. If you would like to start with section 1, just let me know and I'll change the numbering.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving over to Going Solo to keep the launch pad tidy.

We can advertise for a PLer once you get a couple of sections recorded.

MaryAnn
Kaneyoto

Post by Kaneyoto »

Hello,

Just adding an update to say that I've been working on this and have about 3 or 4 nearly completed.
In the next month I will upload several at the same time and this should be much more active from that point on.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Reader checked in via PM.
MaryAnn
Kaneyoto

Post by Kaneyoto »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great!

Please put the links and times (mm:ss) in the MW. The times go in the "notes" column. Then mark each of these sections as ready for PL. If you have any trouble, please let me know.

I'll post an advert for a proof listener later tonight.

MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

Section 00 is 04:36 and is PL ok. :thumbs:

I don't have time to listen to the other sections right now but I checked the specifications.

Overall you are coming in a bit on the low side ranging from 88.0-88.3. We aim for 89dB so you might consider amplifying all by 1.0-1.5.

Section 1 opening silence is less than 0.5 seconds. It should be between 0.5 and 1.0.
Section 2 the opening silence is almost 3 seconds.

I don't have time to PL the longer sections right now. If I have time later I'll be by to help. Oh, until the MW gets updated and in case another PLer comes along here are the times on the remaining sections:
01: 28:37
02: 27:08
03: 26:11
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Linny. You are so sweet! I see you dropping in to help out all over the forums! Don't think for a moment that you can get by with that without being noticed! :clap:

MaryAnn